Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Sony RX100 M3

Search this Thread

Old Jul 4, 2014, 4:30 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, AS MVP75K, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Plat, UA Silver, Amex Plat
Sony RX100 M3

Anyone bought the new RX100 M3? If so, what're your thoughts?

I bought the RX100 M2 last month from Costco and am covered by their 90-day return policy. Thinking about returning the M2 and springing for the M3. The wider aperture at the low end and the wider, 24mm lens looks mighty tempting, not to mention the built-in EVF, noise reduction, and improved processor.
Old Jul 4, 2014, 6:14 pm

Location: Washington D.C. via Sao Paulo via Houston via Washington D.C. via Boston via New York
not knowing anything about it, the new features sound to good to pass up honestly
Old Jul 5, 2014, 7:33 am

Location: What I write is my opinion alone..don't read into it anything not written.
One of my co-workers is debating this right now. From Model 1-2, the gains are there, but incremental and the price point is about 100-150 more. Same for the 2-->3. The 2 has a greater zoom ratio, while the 3 has a faster lens. www.dpreview.com rates them both as top of the class. If you will be using in low light more than not, I would go with the 3. If you think the extra range on the zoom and $150 in your pocket is more important, the 2.
Old Jul 6, 2014, 11:58 pm

Programs: AC E75, SPG Plat, HH peon-by-choice (ex Gold)
Originally Posted by nabilm92
Anyone bought the new RX100 M3? If so, what're your thoughts?

I bought the RX100 M2 last month from Costco and am covered by their 90-day return policy. Thinking about returning the M2 and springing for the M3. The wider aperture at the low end and the wider, 24mm lens looks mighty tempting, not to mention the built-in EVF, noise reduction, and improved processor.
While I haven't tried the M3, the faster lens puts it as an automatic "win" in my book. However, assuming you bought the M2 at a discount at Costco, you may be waiting a very long time before the M3 shows up there. I'm guessing you're looking at a potentially higher price difference than MSRP.

If the $ is burning a hole in your pocket, I'd say go for it!
Old Jul 7, 2014, 2:12 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, AS MVP75K, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Plat, UA Silver, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by Braindrain
While I haven't tried the M3, the faster lens puts it as an automatic "win" in my book. However, assuming you bought the M2 at a discount at Costco, you may be waiting a very long time before the M3 shows up there. I'm guessing you're looking at a potentially higher price difference than MSRP.

If the $ is burning a hole in your pocket, I'd say go for it!
If you factor in the bundled items that came with the M2 from Costco, the upgrade will cost ~$150 for the M3 + similar/same items (memory card, case, etc.). I think I'm going to spring for it because I'll probably regret not having the faster, wide angle lens and EVF later.
Old Jul 7, 2014, 5:11 pm

Programs: UA 1K, BA Gold, Hyatt Plat., Marriott Plat.
Rx100M3

Hey OP,

I just got a RX100M3 last week. I actually downgraded from the full-frame RX1, I have a couple of bodies now (including a Canon 5DMk3) so I decided to get some money out of my RX1 before the RX2 hits shelves (which ill probably pick up eventually anyway).

But back to the RX100M3, this is my first in the RX100 series so I was surprised by the form factor. Its really small, almost too small, would have loved something for my big hands to grab on to (maybe ill get an aftermarket grip). The EVF is pretty cool, my only concern with it is how it will hold up. I can totally see myself not stowing it and throwing it in my pack or pocket without realizing, maybe resulting in damage. A camera this size is going to come with me on a lot of trips and expeditions (I'm a expedition/humanitarian aid physician) so it will get used and abused. Ive gone through my fair share of Canon S1XX series cameras.

Obviously the IQ is insane. The thing that pushed it over the edge for me is the video capabilities and features, a camera like this ill probably do 80/20 pics to vids when I'm traveling on assignment. The new codec and image stabilization are really nice. And the articulating screen is nice when shooting video. No audio input which kind of confuses me with a unit that is obviously going to be used for video.

There are some great photo features too. Again the IQ is amazing, definitely beating anything that was coming out of my Canon S110. The lens is pretty amazing considering the the speed and form factor, there is a lot of glass packed into that thing. Ive been getting excellent bokeh results from it. There is also an electronic ND filter option, which is great for getting that flowing water effect in bright sun. And there is a time-lapse app available (for 9.99), sort of a rip-off considering it should be a standard option, but in the end a really well designed add-on.

Not perfect though, my biggest gripe is the tripod mount is actually part of the battery door. Meaning no matter how small your quick-release plate is you'll always have to unscrew it to change the battery. Also no hot-shoe, would have been nice to mount my audio device.

Hope that helps, i can't really speak to the differences vs the M2, but I would think if you want some quality video features it might be worth the $100+ to upgrade.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.