Wiki Posts
Search

App to Geotag photos?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 26, 2014, 6:47 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott PLT, Starwood, American Gold, Delta
App to Geotag photos?

I have been manually geotagging photos, using Picasa, and need to find a better way. I don't want to purchase new camera just to get the GPS feature.

Does anyone use an app (android) to create a GPS track of where they've been and then link to photos? Any recommendations?

I'm asking because Google Play has many of these apps. Very few downloads, very few reviews, and I don't know which one to choose. Thanks!
Old Jun 26, 2014, 11:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Diamond, B6 Mosaic, AS MPV Gold, UA Gold MM, Marriott Plat, SPG Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite
I've never used an app, but I've seen them. Instead, I opted to just attach a GPS receiver to my camera. My Nikon D7000 has a port for this purpose, and while Nikon makes a receiver, I found a third-party receiver for a fraction of the cost of the Nikon unit that has worked extremely well. It mounts on the hotshoe on my camera, but also has an adapter to allow it to be attached to the camera strap, should I have my external flash attached. It does take a few minutes when first powered on in a new location to get a fix, but once it does, it tracks very quickly and automatically. It does draw power from my camera's battery, but not so much to really be an issue.

Depending on your camera, that may be an option. I spent about $100 for the receiver I'm using.
Old Jun 27, 2014, 11:24 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Not an app, but I use one of these to log where I've been, and then BreezeSys Downloader Pro to download the photos from camera/card to my computer. During download, it reads the track from the GPS and adds the geolocation to the photo.

The exact device I use is no longer available, but there are multiple equivalents out there. Personally I prefer something with removable batteries, as it means I can just drop in a new (rechargable) AA battery each day, and I'm good for the whole day.

There are apps that will keep the same type of track, but the few I've tried resulted in killed my phone battery too quickly to be useful.
Old Jul 1, 2014, 3:28 pm

I use a garmin etrex 20, nice because of maps, download the tracklog and use lightroom to geotag.
Old Jul 2, 2014, 2:07 pm

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...dromoris&hl=en

There are 'memory' apps which track photos/create a collage.
Old Jul 2, 2014, 2:35 pm

Originally Posted by wintersummer
Does anyone use an app (android) to create a GPS track of where they've been and then link to photos? Any recommendations?
!
From your post I am unclear as to what you are asking for. An app to record tracks or a program to sync the photos to the recorded track.
So I will give you both.

You can download the free desktop software programs on the EasyTrailsGPS page and see which one you prefer.
Their track recording app is for the iPhone.
http://www.easytrailsgps.com/tutoria...geotag-photos/

Use Googles "My Tracks" app on your android phone to record the tracks .
As an added bonus "My Tracks" allows you to play back the track on your phone.
You can also export the track to Google Earth for playback.

Record in GPX format as all of the three programs from EasyTrailGPS will sync with your recorded tracks.
Not sure if you discovered that if you turn on the GPS function of your phones camera app the photos will be automatically GEO Tagged. When you view the photos on the phone there will be an option to view them on Google maps. On your PC the Latitude and Longitude coordinates will be available in the EXIF page by choosing the "properties" option of each individual photo.

Enjoy

Last edited by TJR9999; Jul 2, 2014 at 3:17 pm
Old Jul 11, 2014, 9:45 am

gps4Cam

I use gps4cam on iOS and I see there is also an Android version. Simple to use and works great for me. Good options to keep the battery on the phone going all day. I use the resulting GPX file with Lightroom with no issues.
Old Jul 24, 2014, 10:28 am

Programs: DL MM, Marriott LT Titanium, AA EXP, Avis Chairmans
I have the Holux M-1000c GPS logger. I turn it on in the morning before I go out, put it in my pocket, and forget about it. It logs my position ever 5 seconds while I'm out and about. Battery lasts for a good 16 hours.

I then download my track at night, and use Lightroom map utility to geotag all the photos, automatically. The tracker has held over three weeks worth of daily tracks, with memory to spare. I love it!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.