Search

Unauthorized use of image on free download site

Search this Thread

Old Mar 17, 2014, 12:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLT 2MM+; Marriott PLT
Unauthorized use of image on free download site

Quite by accident, I discovered that one of my iconic images of Seattle is available for free download on a site called HD Background Pictures. Other than asking/demanding that they take down the image, should I do anything else? Ask for compensation?

They do list my website but I have no idea how they got the image. I use smugmug and, to my knowledge, the image has never been purchased. Even if it had, it would be "for personal use only". Copyright is in the metadata.

At least it gets 4/5 stars ….
Old Mar 17, 2014, 8:03 am

Go to www.photoattorney.com

Carolyn's website give you your options.
Old Mar 17, 2014, 5:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLT 2MM+; Marriott PLT
Originally Posted by 225
Go to www.photoattorney.com

Carolyn's website give you your options.
Thanks. Had a quick look and will read more carefully.

The photo is nothing special. It's downtown Seattle from Kerry Park with Mt. Rainier in the background. There must be 1000s of shots that are similar. At full moon, you have to get there early to get a spot for a tripod. Certainly not worth hiring an attorney. I may hassle them a bit. Perhaps they will at least put my website url on the image.
Old Mar 18, 2014, 10:23 am

Programs: Skymiles
Originally Posted by SeAAttle
Quite by accident, I discovered that one of my iconic images of Seattle is available for free download on a site called HD Background Pictures. Other than asking/demanding that they take down the image, should I do anything else? Ask for compensation?

They do list my website but I have no idea how they got the image. I use smugmug and, to my knowledge, the image has never been purchased. Even if it had, it would be "for personal use only". Copyright is in the metadata.

At least it gets 4/5 stars ….
Unfortunately, anything that's put on the Internet is up for grabs. It takes just one click of the "prt scrn" key to copy a photo.
At least they gave you credit so perhaps you should be flattered they chose your photo.
Old Mar 30, 2014, 2:46 am

Send a cease and desist letter to their webhost if it's really an issue. No real point in going directly to them, the web host will pass the letter on and they'll realize how serious the issue is much quicker.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.