Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Photography
Reload this Page >

How do you backup your photos during travel?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How do you backup your photos during travel?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 10, 2014, 8:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I use the Hyperdrive Colorspace UDMA2 (awesome name!). Nice and fast copies, and good battery life.
Old Feb 10, 2014, 9:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ScottC
I use the Hyperdrive Colorspace UDMA2 (awesome name!). Nice and fast copies, and good battery life.
Good suggestion. I don't use it for this, but I have an iPod classic to which I could easily back up photos.

Also, I'll say it since no one else has: I don't think this thread was intended to be about backing up a few casual cellphone shots but, rather, for those of us who shoot a lot of high megapixel photographs with DSLRs or better-quality point-and-shoots. When you can easily shoot 5 to 15 gigabytes a day (as I do), backing up to the cloud isn't remotely feasible, and the speed of transfer becomes a critical question.

This weekend, I attended an event and shot around 25 gigabytes worth of pictures. I couldn't locate my USB 3.0 card read, so I had to transfer from the camera to my desktop computer using a USB 2.0 port. It took about an hour to do so. THAT is not practical.

My laptop, a higher-end HP, has an SD slot that can read the 64 gig SDXC cards that I shoot in my Canon 60D. Back up to the computer takes mere minutes. I also carry a 1 TB USB 3.0 portable drive. It's powered from the laptop and, being USB 3.0, can also transfer from the SDXC card, either using the laptop slot or a USB 3.0 card reader, in a matter of minutes.
Old Feb 10, 2014, 2:27 pm

Originally Posted by BeachBum770
Even on vacation, I travel with a laptop. On some trips, its only intended purpose is to download my photos every evening. The reason is two-fold:
1. I don't like leaving images on the card.
2. I take too many pictures to keep on my cards (nearly 2,000 pics on our Mediterranean cruise a few years back).

I then back up the laptop to a portable hard drive as a redundancy.
I completely agree - I hate the idea of not having enough space on my card (64GB) to be able to take a LOT of pictures if I ever needed to (same with Video, which can fill up a card pretty quickly)

Dan
Old Feb 11, 2014, 6:31 pm
Used to be 'joony'

Programs: General Member!
Will be taking photos on the edge for some longer travels coming up with the 5D Mark III, no laptop! Hoping the Sandisk Extreme III will hold up. I don't have any reasons to expect a card failure or anything stolen (known on wood).
Old Feb 13, 2014, 11:05 am

Programs: Former UA Premex, now dirt
The last two posts have referred to a large-capacity card - singular. It may just be how it was written but I have to ask. Surely you guys are taking an ample supply of extra memory cards?

I simply can't imagine going on an extensive and expensive trip and only having one memory card, regardless how large the capacity. A back-up card or two is cheap and really a necessity for any photographer, especially one going on a major trip. Since I don't do long video and don't trust large cards not to fail, I carry a whole card wallet full of 16-GB Sandisks with several 8-GBs in reserve for emergencies. That may be excessive for the average vacation snap-shooter but not unusual for the pro or serious hobbyist.

Best advice - invest in at least one 4-, 8- or 16-GB card that you won't even use in normal circumstances. It doesn't have to be the latest or fastest but even an old class-6 8-GB will keep you shooting if the unexpected strikes your primary memory. Just toss it, plastic case and all, in a pocket of your camera bag or suitcase, there if you need it.
Old Feb 13, 2014, 11:16 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

It's always a question of what to double up on..... card failures are few and far between. The same argument could be made about traveling with a spare body, etc.

I surely was glad I had an extra body with me when I dropped my camera when in Australia a few weeks ago. And the body didn't survive.

The 5DIII has two card slots, so doubling up and simultaneous writes is the ultimate back-up scenario.
Old Feb 13, 2014, 3:41 pm

Programs: Former UA Premex, now dirt
No argument, although you might be surprised by how often something goes wrong with a card or one gets dropped, lost, submerged, etc. The difference is a spare card costs $10.00 or so and takes up virtually no room or weight penalty. A spare body (which I also take in some situations) can be 50 or more times as much and does take up space and weight. The casual vacation photographer will almost never even own a spare body. He or she would probably be better off to just pack a small long zoom pocket camera for emergency back-up. That is my "spare" when traveling light.
Old Feb 23, 2014, 5:18 am
Suspended

I agree with abmj. Plus, we always backup all pictures on the laptop and a separate stick. So, small chance for sudden death for both. Plus, the camera itself
We tried few times, but sometimes the Internet speed will not hold to upload it on our personal account on picasaweb on our "not evil friend"
Old Feb 23, 2014, 11:37 am

Cheap Haswell Laptop and external drive option

I used to carry a couple of NextDi portable drives but they have both died after a solid 6yr run.

I've been looking at replacement portable storage drives and they are all quite spendy at upwards of $380 for serving just a singular purpose. After quite a bit of research, I've decided to go the cheap laptop + external drive option route (I already have a 1TB passport) for travel needs.

I've ordered this laptop for $384 (was able to get this price through online chat):
http://www.dell.com/us/p/inspiron-11...spiron-11-3138
- Haswell Pentium 3566U Processor
- 4GB RAM
- 500GB Harddrive
- 11" touch screen
- 3.15lb
Old Feb 25, 2014, 1:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Kettle with Kryptonium Medallion Tags
I travel with a $250 Google Chromebook. It came with two free years of free 100 GB Google Drive storage space, so on my last trip, I began sticking my SD cards into the Chromebook and having it copy them onto the Google Drive. (I think I cam also use the Chromebook to copy files to an external drive, but I didn't bother carrying one on my last trip.)

Originally Posted by Kate_Canuck
My Pentax K-3's RAW images are huge (24 MP), so I will be taking a lot of 16 and 32 GB cards.
I recently returned from my first big trip with my K-3.... I bought a pair of Sandisk 32 GB cards that can transfer at 80 MB/Second. I was very glad I had those cards -- I never had to wait for the camera despite shooting RAW+JPG and autobracketing everything.
Old Feb 27, 2014, 9:04 am

I personally use a laptop with two 1TB drives, but our clients - we run photography tours - all have their preferred methods of storage, with some opting for multiple memory cards.

Going back to the two drives I have, most laptops have a DVD drive which can be removed, and a second caddy-mounted hard drive be installed in the same slot. I keep the DVD in a zip-loc bag in case clients want me to back up their images to a DVD while traveling, while back in the office I have an external DVD drive on hand to connect to if need be.

I looked high and low for an affordable 2TB laptop, but in the end opted for the method above costing around $80 for the second 7200 rpm drive. Being such a good deal I upgraded my original 5400 rpm drive too!

Anyway, I travel with a couple of 2TB passport external drives for back-up too . . . also very affordable at around $100 these days.
Old Feb 27, 2014, 9:34 am

Programs: FB Plat for Life & Marriott lifetime Platinum
Just using the NFC feature to copy picture from my camera directly to my Galaxy Note..

No need to have wifi, or being covered by a phone network :
just put the camera and the Note not too far way (no cable needed) and back up your pictures automatically on a second hardware...

This can be anywhere / under any circonstances... and most of the time you have your phone with you with your camera (but not your PC..)
Old Mar 11, 2014, 9:45 pm

Programs: AA-EXP & 1MM+, AS, MR-LTT, HH Gold
On a typical trip, I shot over 100GB.
I carry an i7 quad core laptop & an ext 2TB WD Passport HD. Sometime I only carry Microsoft Surface Pro instead of the laptop, when I don't expect to do any editing work on the field.

I like to look for an external usb3 high capacity SSD, to save time. Any suggestion?
Old Mar 19, 2014, 5:41 pm

Programs: AC: E50K, AP: dDiamond
Honestly, an SSD is a waste of time for a backup drive. USB3 on a conventional drive is still extremely fast and the incremental costs of going up in size for an SSD are simply not worth it. I use a USB3 Western Digital MyPassport 2TB as my media storage at home (I have a Macbook Pro which uses an SSD as a system drive) and it's fantastic.

More to the original point, this is a very pertinent topic as I am going to be leaving for a 4 month backpacking and safari trip travelling through some interesting places solo and as an avid photographer, wondering how to minimize risk is on my mind.

My plan is to take my 11" Macbook Air with an external SD card reader (unfortunately no built in on the 11" models) which is equipped with a 128gb HDD. I shoot with two cameras, a Canon 6D and a Fuji X100S, both shooting RAW+JPG, and am bringing 2x 16gb and 2x 32gb cards. What I am going to do is at the end of each day, copy the JPG files off of the camera onto the laptop. I will leave the RAW files on the SD cards with the goal of not deleting any for the whole trip. I always have two bags - a day pack and a main bag that stays at the hostel, so I will always move my SD cards to wherever the laptop is not - i.e. if I take the laptop with me that day so I can write a blog post at the beach, I'll leave the spare SD cards in my bag at the hostel in case my day pack gets stolen. If I leave the laptop back at the hostel, I'll bring the SD cards in my day pack in case the main bag gets stolen.

In theory, as long as ALL my bags don't get stolen, I should be in good shape. Any thoughts?

Mark
Old Mar 19, 2014, 6:57 pm

Programs: GlobalEntry, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by lowside67
I shoot with two cameras, a Canon 6D and a Fuji X100S, both shooting RAW+JPG, and am bringing 2x 16gb and 2x 32gb cards. What I am going to do is at the end of each day, copy the JPG files off of the camera onto the laptop. I will leave the RAW files on the SD cards with the goal of not deleting any for the whole trip.
Mark
I don't see those cards being large enough to store your RAW files on the SD cards for 4 months....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.