Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Camera Case

Search this Thread

Old Feb 14, 2013, 11:38 pm
Original Poster

Camera Case

Hi everyone, how is everyone? Im new to this site, and maybe somebody can give me some ideas, I dont want to have to take my bulky camera case with me on my trip, what is the safest way to take my camera without it getting damaged? (for carry on)

I have a canon rebel
Old Feb 14, 2013, 11:56 pm

Programs: QF,US,ANA
I just keep mine in my carry on case .
Old Feb 15, 2013, 5:39 am

Programs: DL Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by dominicanbabe
Hi everyone, how is everyone? Im new to this site, and maybe somebody can give me some ideas, I dont want to have to take my bulky camera case with me on my trip, what is the safest way to take my camera without it getting damaged? (for carry on)

I have a canon rebel
I personally like neoprene cases. I have a neoprene case that covers the body and lens. It has excellent padding and provides good protection. I put it on my camera/lens and then just toss the camera in a backpack. I usually carry at least one additional lens, and use a Martin lens pouch for that.

Another option are the PacSafe camera cases - theft-resistant cases.

bert
Old Feb 15, 2013, 6:52 am

I use the lowepro slingshot and pack it with other stuff I want in my carryon (but then I only take my DSLR on about half my trips).
Old Feb 15, 2013, 1:44 pm

Programs: Former UA Premex, now dirt
There are several types of small insert-type camera bags that fit inside a small standard backpack. I use a Krumpler Haven. It fits nicely in my laptop backpack, leaving room for my other carry-on items while protecting my DSLR with lens attached and one other lens.

http://www.amazon.com/Crumpler-Haven...ref=pd_sim_p_2
Old Feb 15, 2013, 1:57 pm

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards. Tha... that's about it.
Originally Posted by abmj-jr
There are several types of small insert-type camera bags that fit inside a small standard backpack. I use a Krumpler Haven. It fits nicely in my laptop backpack, leaving room for my other carry-on items while protecting my DSLR with lens attached and one other lens.

http://www.amazon.com/Crumpler-Haven...ref=pd_sim_p_2
I have never seen those before, but they look fantastic. I think they're a perfect solution to the OP's dilemma - turn any ordinary backpack, shoulder bag, or rollaboard into a camera case at reasonable cost, and if she doesn't fill the whole thing up with camera gear, it's got room to organize other travel items.

Dominicanbabe, I traveled with a Canon Rebel for many years before I bought a bigger camera, and I think that the product abmj-jr suggested will work perfectly for you.

You also have the option of getting a smaller protective sleeve for your camera, like this:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/SAMSUNG-NX10...-/180575998779

Or you could simply wrap your camera carefully in clothes or towels and put it in your backpack, shoulder bag, or rollaboard.

No matter what you decide - NEVER put your camera or any of its gear into your checked bag! Always carry your camera and all of its gear on the plane with you!

Good luck with your choice. Please come back and let us know what you decide.

And welcome to FlyerTalk!
Old Feb 15, 2013, 2:06 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Gold, HHonors Gold
SkoobaWrap is another option that works well:
http://www.amazon.com/Skooba-Design-...rds=SkoobaWrap

You can protect anything with it and just throw it in the bag.
Old Feb 15, 2013, 6:46 pm
Senior Moderator and Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
Welcome to FlyerTalk, dominicanbabe!

Since your question is camera-related, we'll shift this discussion over to the experts in the Travel Photography forum. Thanks! /JY1024, TravelBuzz co-moderator
Old Feb 17, 2013, 5:34 pm

Programs: MS AMEX PLAT- Marriott Titanium-HH G- UA Silver-JPM RC . DL-AA-BA
Regardless of what style you choose you can't go wrong with www.tamrac.com I have probably 8-10 of their bags of various sizes which are used all the time without any problems. My son who is also a photographer has a couple bags from www.thinktankphoto.com which seem to be very good products.
Old Nov 24, 2013, 7:45 pm
Suspended

You should have a bag to put your camera on it. This will make your camera safe.
Old Nov 27, 2013, 3:57 pm

safe? these things are sturdy and cheap. A good lens cover helps, but then most any old bag would work. I've used stuff sacks from REI for cameras, lenses and such, and threw thing in a regular backpack along with my other on board stuff.

It helps of course if you don't put it against something that might do damage, like a heavy book, but with kindle and various pads, those days are gone. So how much damage would a sweater, jacket, a few mags, maybe another stuff sack of meds do to a camera, unless you start using your bag as a basketball etc.?

This gear is not delicate. Sure it can be damaged if you drop it, but your biggest risks are IMHO damaging the LCD screen. Once I dropped a SLR many years ago and the lens broke off. Turns out 4 screws holding the mounting ring sheared. easily replaced and the gear worked for years more.

So my advice is that unless the camera is some kind of jewelry to you, don't worry about it. Most scratches and even dents are cosmetic. And they make you look like a serious photog who uses your gear hard.
Old Dec 1, 2013, 10:20 am
hkn

Programs: SAS EuroBonus, Flying Blue, BA Executive Club, Jumeirah Sirius, Tablet Plus,
My two cents:
I've been using a LowePro Mini Trekker AW for nine years now.
It's been holding one or two Canon bodies (5D Mk II + 1Dx) and lenses up to 300 mm L ƒ2.8.
This little backpack has been used and abused and despite a few material flaws (one zipper going on strike) it's been better than OK.
And the rain cover (that's what the AW stands for) has saved my gear several times.

The model is now discontinued. Closest current model is the LowePro Pro Runner 300 AW
but since I have geared up a little, I'm about to get myself an F-stop Satori EXP or Tilopa BC.

For bigger lenses, I'll stick with the LowePro Lens Trekker 600 AW.

Cheers,

:: h ::

PS. An odd experience from boarding planes with these two backpacks:
They are well travelled. I go to Africa at least once per year on safari, and sure enough I have been asked many questions by security, most of them being in What is that?-category, but I have never been asked to check any of these items in.
To me it's a bit puzzling, as the Lens Trekker 600 is a rather big thing –.28 x 32 x 65.5 cm (11.02 x 12.60 x 25.79 in).
Either I've been lucky or cabin crews have treated me like if I'd been traveling with an antique violin.

But tripods and monopods I will check in. They travel in a special padded tripod bag.
Old Dec 2, 2013, 8:52 pm

Programs: LANPASS, Aerolineas PLUS
If you don't want to be bulky, get a lens that will suit all your trip. Or a couple of pancakes.
Almost any small holster will be good for that+charger+filters+mems.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.