Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hong Kong Photo tips needed

Search this Thread

Old Nov 29, 2011, 7:13 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by allset2travel
What a great collection of photo-tech talk!
One more thing I might add is to bring along a ND filter for taking really looooong exposures (like boat lights in the harbor).
Thanks to rrkwan's account of locations, some of them are new to me. I will check them out on my upcoming trip next month. Here are a few shots from the past:

http://stefanofoto.smugmug.com/Trave...82594829_jdkGn

For a new perspective in panorama, go check out the ICC's Sky100 Observation Deck. See here:
http://www.sky100.com.hk/
very Very nice photos. thanks for the tip on the nd filter. I'll see if I have time to get one!
Old Nov 30, 2011, 9:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Just got back from HK. Pollution is much worse than last time I was there a few years ago. During the daytime I didn't even bother trying to take any distant landscapes because all it would be was a greyish-brown haze.
Old Nov 30, 2011, 2:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks for the info people
Old Nov 30, 2011, 5:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Priority Club Plat
Originally Posted by Doppy
Just got back from HK. Pollution is much worse than last time I was there a few years ago. During the daytime I didn't even bother trying to take any distant landscapes because all it would be was a greyish-brown haze.
It wasn't that bad by HK standard. Air quality has improved in the last 2 years. If you had come in the winter in the mid-00's you'd have found much worse.
Old Apr 27, 2012, 9:54 am
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
Originally Posted by rkkwan
Main thing to do at The Peak is not to hang out with all the mainland visitors near the Peak Tower and Peak Plaza. Lots of places both east and west of that area with great views for photography.

You can go east and walk along Findlay Road to Plantation Road and Severn Road. Or you can go west and walk along Lugard Road. About 1/2 mile out on Lugard Road, you'll get to the point where the road is basically hanging outside the hillside, with incredible views of the harbor. Or you can also go up Mt Austin Road, and there are great places for views as well.
I did that 5 years ago, walked around, away from the Tram station. It was during the day.

Last Thanksgiving week, I went this time at night (tried to get there just before sunset but the lines were long). It was very windy, which made taking long exposures very difficult.

I was kind of discouraged and didn't venture too far from the Tram station, which was packed, even with the windy conditions. People mostly taking photos with compacts or phones, using their flash to take pictures of the skyline below.
Old Apr 27, 2012, 10:06 am
Original Poster

Here are the results from my visit:

Skyline at Sunset

Pictures from the Peak
Old Apr 27, 2012, 10:24 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Doppy
Yeah I was there Thanksgiving week. Most of the time it was overcast but the haze was always present, sunny or cloudy.

Here are some pics:

https://picasaweb.google.com/wco811/HK
Old Apr 27, 2012, 11:11 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by LufthansaFlyer
Here are the results from my visit:

Skyline at Sunset

Pictures from the Peak
Those are great, especially the night shots in the first set. Very little sign of haze there yet in the shots from the Peak, you see the haze.

Did you post-process to boost the contrast to minimize the haze? Maybe the primes helped over using zooms too.
Old Mar 5, 2017, 12:31 pm
Suspended

Went for the third time in February.

Took some time lapses of the harbor, which was fun.

First day was pretty clear, clearer than I remember in previous visits.

Then the next days, it was hazy, foggy, even through early afternoon.

One day it was pretty clear around 2 PM but then by 7-8 PM, the fog rolled in.

On the way to HKG, my flight flew westwards on a path just south of the island so got a view over the peak and to the harbor and across. Took some shots there.

I also visited Vietnam and on the flight from HAN back to HKG, it flew westward on a path across Kowloon, though it wasn't as clear.

The new promenade looks nice, walking from the Star Ferry pier towards the CEC. Of course a lot of construction going on after passing Tamar Park. Will be interesting to see once they're finished. Understand there are plans to redevelop the TST waterfront as well.

But that may be years off.

Thought about going up to Sky 100. I emailed them and they said you could set up a tripod there. But read some TA reviews that the reflections from the windows don't make for great photos.
Old Mar 5, 2017, 1:20 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by wco81

Thought about going up to Sky 100. I emailed them and they said you could set up a tripod there. But read some TA reviews that the reflections from the windows don't make for great photos.
Just use a flexible rubber lens hood that contours to the glass and you'll be fine. It would block all the glare. I use one all the time when shooting from inside terminals, etc.
Old May 4, 2017, 8:14 am

Everytime I go, there's always fog
One day I will prevail =P

Originally Posted by wco81

Took some time lapses of the harbor, which was fun.

First day was pretty clear, clearer than I remember in previous visits.

Then the next days, it was hazy, foggy, even through early afternoon.

One day it was pretty clear around 2 PM but then by 7-8 PM, the fog rolled in.

On the way to HKG, my flight flew westwards on a path just south of the island so got a view over the peak and to the harbor and across. Took some shots there.

I also visited Vietnam and on the flight from HAN back to HKG, it flew westward on a path across Kowloon, though it wasn't as clear.

The new promenade looks nice, walking from the Star Ferry pier towards the CEC. Of course a lot of construction going on after passing Tamar Park. Will be interesting to see once they're finished. Understand there are plans to redevelop the TST waterfront as well.

But that may be years off.

Old May 18, 2017, 3:30 am

Programs: Professional Studies
Greats shots. Nice job not that bad
Old May 25, 2017, 2:05 pm

Great photos. This makes me want to go back there too.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.