Online Photo Album Storage- Best?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 5, 2007, 7:36 am
Original Poster

Location: District of Columbia, Maryland- AA 2M Life Platinum, UA 1K, TK Gold, BA Silver, IC RA, Fairmont/Marriott Platinum, SPG/Hilton/Omni Gold, Wynn/Makers Mark Ambassador, Hertz Presidents Circle, Avis Chairmans, National Executive

First, I can say my photos online have gone through phases. I enjoyed Webshots, but when they started charging for storage, I made a mess by opening multiple accounts as I needed storage.

Since I could not download easily, I have since moved to Image Station by Sony. This website has been great but as all good things must come to an end, now I am wondering if Shutterfly is just as good or better.

Will I easily be able to share photo albums, download or copy images and of course, order photos for those old fashioned friends and family who still enjoy the flipping through glossy paper of prints?

This month I will lose many upload features on Image Station and in February, the site will be shut down completely. Mind you I have about 500 photo albums now pertaining to either time and date or geographical locations of trips or hometown events.
Old Nov 5, 2007, 7:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
I've been with SmugMug for several years and have been very happy (G171UaFcXSOjA as a coupon code will save you $5). Zenfolio is the only one that has emerged over the past year that seems to be comparable, but SM just introduced larger display sizes and is updating its sizing algorithms to dynamically fit monitor sizes, which was the main advantage Zenfolio had.

If you're looking for a free one, the market seems to be shaking out - only those that require visitors to sign up for accounts, or that require you to make periodic purchases, view ads, etc., seem to be surviving. I'd rather pay a small annual fee and avoid all of the nonsense.
Old Nov 5, 2007, 9:41 am

Programs: United MileagePlus Silver, Nexus, Global Entry
>I'd rather pay a small annual fee and avoid all of the nonsense

I agree - I'm a flickr "pro" user and I'm very happy with it. I upload my hi-resolution images quickly and easily, tag them, sort them etc.

But I have to pay.

I think the age of the 'free' services that provide good features, a lot of storage and a lot of bandwidth are over.
Old Nov 5, 2007, 10:25 am

Programs: US CP, *wood Gold, Marriott gold, Hilton something
I use Flickr too. ... a pro account is $24 a year....thats feels like such a bargin to me.
I like knowning that I can upload full rez images too...its almost like having an online backup in that regard. It also means that any friends or family who want to print or otherwise use them have access to the orignal quality. Theres nothing worse than when I get an email full of 640x480 images that I can't end up doing anything with.
Old Nov 5, 2007, 10:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat
I use Flickr as well.

I will say this, if you don't need the ability to view the thumbnails of photos and basically just need the space to back them up, I'd go with Amazon S3.

I use to store images for my websites, backup important e-mails off site, and any other files I deem as important.
Old Nov 5, 2007, 10:53 am

Programs: UA 1K, Avis PC, Hertz PC, Sixt Plat, Marriott Gold, HH Silver
I use Phanfare. No limit to the # of photos, can upload and download hi-def photos, and redundant backup using Amazon S3. It has worked quite well for me,and I recommend them.

If you want a referral link to save $7 off of their membership PM me. In the spirit of full disclosure, I should let you know that I do get some kickback too if you sign up based on my referral.
Old Nov 5, 2007, 11:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I tried loads of them.

Save yourself the hassle and just go with Smugmug

Nothing even remotely comes close to it.
Old Nov 5, 2007, 1:51 pm

Programs: Delta Silver, UA Premier, National Executive, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by ScottC
I tried loads of them.

Save yourself the hassle and just go with Smugmug

Nothing even remotely comes close to it.

Another vote for Smugmug.....
Old Nov 5, 2007, 5:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Originally Posted by Hartmann
I will say this, if you don't need the ability to view the thumbnails of photos and basically just need the space to back them up, I'd go with Amazon S3.
Interestingly, Smugmug runs on top of S3 storage. Given their press releases on size and growth rate, they should be approaching half a petabyte by now.
Old Nov 6, 2007, 9:22 am

Programs: UA 2P, SPG Gold
If your DSL is from SBC Global/Yahoo, then a flickr pro account will be free.
Unlimited uploads.
Old Nov 6, 2007, 10:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WorldPerks Demoted again to SE, DL 3.1MM Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold
OK, here is question I always wanted to ask

Web sites come and go. Some are bought up, others just close down.

I have been very reluctant to store files online because I don't know if the site will live on.

How do you all feel about this issue??
Old Nov 6, 2007, 3:25 pm

Programs: Delta PM, HH Silver, Marriott Rewards
Smugmug also...

I've been using Smugmug for about 2 years... love it.

Originally Posted by t-rev
Another vote for Smugmug.....
Old Nov 6, 2007, 4:29 pm

Another smugmug fan here! It's fantastic, easy to use and very customizable.
Old Nov 6, 2007, 6:51 pm

Programs: UA GS
I signed up for my smugmug account a couple of years ago and have never reconsidered. Love the features and the customizability....

Tim
Old Nov 6, 2007, 7:13 pm

Programs: UA 1MM 0P, AA, DL, *wood, Lifetime FPC Plat., IHG, HHD
go smugmug, ask anyone here for a discount. Should be 19.99$ a year

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.