Wiki Posts
Search

Long Exposure Photos - Post Yours!

Search this Thread

Old Apr 21, 2010, 12:20 pm

sdcarver: Thanks!
Old Apr 21, 2010, 4:19 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott LTP, Hilton Gold, ITA Elite+, Cathay S, Singapore S, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Hotel Elephant in Weimar Germany last summer

shot with my Canon 1000D
Old Apr 25, 2010, 6:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
Inspired by these photos, I got a few ND filter this weekend at a photo swap meet (motley collection of 49mm ND2 for a few prime lenses I have yet to use, ND8 that fits most of my lenses, and also a ND4 included in a mirror/reflex lense I bought).

Here's a few from Venice taken May 2009:

30 second shot taken resting my A100 on the Accademia bridge rail. Surprised there wasn't more bounce given the pedestrian traffic. My cheap tripod had fallen apart on top of a Pyrenee ridgetop a few days earlier.
Old Apr 28, 2010, 12:24 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium/Lifetime Platinum, AA EXP, UA Gold
Originally Posted by YVR Cockroach
Inspired by these photos, I got a few ND filter this weekend at a photo swap meet (motley collection of 49mm ND2 for a few prime lenses I have yet to use, ND8 that fits most of my lenses, and also a ND4 included in a mirror/reflex lense I bought).

Here's a few from Venice taken May 2009:

30 second shot taken resting my A100 on the Accademia bridge rail. Surprised there wasn't more bounce given the pedestrian traffic. My cheap tripod had fallen apart on top of a Pyrenee ridgetop a few days earlier.
Beautiful!! I love it!!
Old Apr 28, 2010, 2:57 pm

Programs: AA PLT, HH Gold, TSA Disparager Gold, going for Platnium
I will have to go dig up some of my time exposure shots I have shot over the past 15 years. I have exposures from 1s to 6 hours (thats not a type either i kept detailed notes back in the film days). Time exposure for me is one of those fun things to see what you get, and over the years i have gotten some spectacular images including lightening bolts and even a tornado in the process of lowering to the ground. Ironically this is one of the reasons why i keep a medium format camera around so that i can do real long exposures (30 min plus) and then take the images and print extremely large (40x60)

Sadly Digital doesnt do as good as a job as film does on long exposures (this isnt meant to start a debate, just a statement from my experinces) without a bit of post processing, and noise reduction software, but there are tradeoffs in everything.
Old Apr 30, 2010, 1:50 pm

Programs: UA gold
Originally Posted by Scubatooth
Sadly Digital doesnt do as good as a job as film does on long exposures (this isnt meant to start a debate, just a statement from my experinces) without a bit of post processing, and noise reduction software, but there are tradeoffs in everything.
Digital never will do as good as film, unless you're willing to pay a large amount of money for a scientific quality CCD (thousands of dollars) and cryogenically cool it. There are, of course, ways to minimize noise without going to such an extent, but, honestly, film is simply easier and better.

That being said, astronomers use CCDs for the same reason that photographers do - much easier to work with and analyze. On that topic, I'll throw in one of my "long-exposure" shots that I took while observing at Palomar earlier this month (I'm an astro grad student). My small D70 has horrible noise after 30 seconds at ISO 1600, while the exposure I was taking at the time on the telescope was 30 minutes long and has almost no such noise (comparatively speaking at least!) :-D

Last edited by dblevitan; Apr 30, 2010 at 1:58 pm
Old May 1, 2010, 10:05 am

Done...

Last edited by michswiss; Oct 5, 2010 at 11:45 pm
Old May 1, 2010, 6:56 pm
wpj

Programs: AA EXP 3.2MM, Hyatt Courtesy Card/Diamond, Hertz #1 Gold
petronas towers kuala lumpur, malaysia from traders hotel

Old May 5, 2010, 10:14 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium/Lifetime Platinum, AA EXP, UA Gold
Originally Posted by michswiss
Shanghai Expo fireworks looking from Luwan close to Xintiandi back toward the Expo site. Five second exposure. A few more in my WIP 2010 gallery.
Wow, neat effect with the dark buildings and the bright fireworks... thanks for sharing!
Old May 5, 2010, 10:15 am

Originally Posted by wpj
petronas towers kuala lumpur, malaysia from traders hotel

Yet another beautiful shot of the skyline -- well done! ^
Old May 5, 2010, 12:23 pm

Programs: Continental OnePass
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by sbm12
One of my faves...

Is that Flat Iron right in front of you?
Old May 5, 2010, 8:44 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by iloveplanes
Is that Flat Iron right in front of you?
Welcome to FlyerTalk!

The Flat Iron building is the one on the left edge. The curve is due to the fisheye lens used.
Old May 13, 2010, 12:52 pm

Programs: Delta Skymiles Lifetime Silver, Delta MM, Lifetime Marriott Plat, Lifetime Hilton Honors Diamond
Charleston, SC

Old May 13, 2010, 1:10 pm

Programs: Former AA PLT/GLD, A3 *G, Priority Pass
Nothing fancy, but i tried my first 5 seconds exposure on aruba with a Nikon D80.

Old May 17, 2010, 3:23 pm

Programs: Delta Skymiles Lifetime Silver, Delta MM, Lifetime Marriott Plat, Lifetime Hilton Honors Diamond
More from Charleston

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.