Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Travel with Pets
Reload this Page >

Travling With A Cat In First? (Domestic)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 25, 2017, 6:52 am
Original Poster

Programs: Amex Platinum, Starwood Gold, VX elevate

Howdy! Curious if anyone has any recent experience flying with a pet in First Class. I'm about to do a cross-country move, NYC to LA, and in my household, flying is not my wife's preferred mode of travel. To ease on the experience, I'm open to using mileage or putting up some cost for First Class tickets, but I've had a bit of challenge finding airlines that actually allowed pets in the First Class cabin.

Some aircraft obviously limit pets due to lie-flat seats on some planes (Jet Blue, United, Delta, AA), others limit pets in first due to no under-seat storage (Virgin America), so I'm a little mixed on what's available. AA apparently had a "cuddle class" at a point in time, offering storage for pets in first, but that doesn't seem to exist anymore.

Any thoughts or recent input?

Thanks!
Old Feb 25, 2017, 11:47 am

Programs: AA (EXP); among others :)
AA does allow carry-on pets in all classes of service on this route.
They have pet storage compartments (for use during takeoff and landing, they can be at your seat at all other times) in the F cabin of the A321T aircraft used on the JFK-LAX nonstops. I guess that is what you were referring to by 'cuddle class'. F on those aircraft has individual suites.
There is a lot of demand from the Hollywood set for carry-on pets on that route. I have seen them occupied pretty often.

Tip, especially when travelling with your wife: Also look into business class on the same plane. While F has 1-1 seating in very private suites, business class is 2-2, and you will actually be seated together. There is tons of space for a pet carrier beneath the footrest especially in the bulkhead row. I travel with a German-shepherd-sized service dog and have found Seat 6D to be the most spacious and comfortable arrangement short of an international F suite and much prefer this seat to any seat in the F cabin on these planes.

You will even be able to put the seat into lie-flat mode with the carrier under the footrest in both business and F.
Old Feb 25, 2017, 1:17 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Amex Platinum, Starwood Gold, VX elevate
Thanks, bhomburg! I'm going to research this ASAP. Yes, what you referred to was the "Cuddle Class," and I had trouble finding such accommodations when viewing the AA website. More research necessary, I suppose. I'll follow-up with what happens.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.