Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Travel with Pets
Reload this Page >

US dog in cabin to UK - advice and experiences please!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 16, 2014, 8:17 am
Gaz
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold, UA Gold

Hi all. I want to travel from the US to the UK with a small Yorkie in the cabin. Weight wise the dog is light so even with a carrier there's no issue there.

There are lots of posts about this, but I am struggling to work out a definitive answer, as the regulations seem to have changed numerous times over the years, and all I can find is a patchwork of rules and answers which don't match my exact situation, or outdated threads posted before regulations were changed.

As far as I understand, dogs are still not allowed in the cabin to fly into the UK (unless anyone has experience to the contrary) so we were planning on flying from New York to Paris on AF (as they allow small dogs in cabin), before hiring a car and driving back to the UK via the Eurotunnel.

In terms of flying back to the US, it seems the regulations flying ex-UK are a little looser, and as long as the airline allows it, anecdotal evidence seems to suggest dogs are apparently allowed to fly in the cabin ex-UK... but I can't find official confirmation. Does anyone have any experience of this?

Finally: a lot of the UK government literature makes reference to needing an EU pet passport. Obviously this is not possible with a dog based in the US, so what sort of documentation do I need? As far as I can tell, as the US is a UK approved 'listed' country I just need a 'third country official veterinary certificate' filled in by a US vet.

Is this about right? Any advice or experience in navigating this maze would be most helpful.
Old Aug 18, 2014, 1:25 am

Programs: AA (EXP); among others :)
Originally Posted by Gaz
As far as I understand, dogs are still not allowed in the cabin to fly into the UK (unless anyone has experience to the contrary) so we were planning on flying from New York to Paris on AF (as they allow small dogs in cabin), before hiring a car and driving back to the UK via the Eurotunnel.
Exactly. And that's a good plan.

In terms of flying back to the US, it seems the regulations flying ex-UK are a little looser, and as long as the airline allows it, anecdotal evidence seems to suggest dogs are apparently allowed to fly in the cabin ex-UK... but I can't find official confirmation. Does anyone have any experience of this?
The regulations might be looser, yes. But the point here is "as long as the airline allows it" - and no airline flying directly between the UK and the US (AA, BA, DL, VS, UA) allows pets in the cabin on the routes ex-UK in any class of service. I believe that the airlines simply haven't updated their policies after the UK government relaxed regulations recently.
You would need to connect in mainland Europe as on the way there. Just buy a return ticket via CDG. That will turn out cheaper, anyway - one-way car rentals to London form Paris are prohibitively expensive. Just be aware that driving on the left in the UK with a LHD rental car is a bit more of a challenge
Finally: a lot of the UK government literature makes reference to needing an EU pet passport. Obviously this is not possible with a dog based in the US, so what sort of documentation do I need? As far as I can tell, as the US is a UK approved 'listed' country I just need a 'third country official veterinary certificate' filled in by a US vet.
Is this about right? Any advice or experience in navigating this maze would be most helpful.
Yes, that's about right. The requirements are listed here in a pretty concise manner: https://www.gov.uk/pet-travel-inform...for-pet-owners.
Print out this certificate form and have it completed by an official veterinarian (contact your state's veterinary services office for a list).

The Eurotunnel car shuttle (NOT the Eurostar passenger train service! No pets on the passenger trains!) is an approved route under the pet travel scheme. You need to but a ticket for the pet and are supposed to go through a pet control check at Customs, though - details here.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.