Community
Wiki Posts
Search

My maltese and LH

Search this Thread

Old Jun 8, 2014, 12:29 pm
Original Poster

My maltese and LH

Hi everyone, in less than two months we'll be travelling from Iran to Finland. We are taking our 8 years old maltese with us as well. Our flight will be from Tehran to Frankfurt the to Munich and to Helsinki. I have couple fo questions which I appreciate if you help me out with them. My maltese is 6.5 kilos and I was hoping to get him a Sharpa and transfer him with us in the cabin which seems impossible.I have been told by LH representative that pets in the cabin will be transferred to the other part of the cabin and not under my seat.

Iran is not a pet friendly country, and they do not care to inform you about all the required info when it comes to travelling with pets. So please any help is appreciated.

First, our layover in Frankfurt is going to be 2.30 hours, and since my dog is going to be in the cargo area, I want to know how LH is going to handle pets in layover there?

Second, our next stop is in Munich which our layover is 6 hours. This is the major part of my problem. I need to know how are they going to handle my small dog there? Am I allowed to go and see him and take him out of the carrier?

I honestly appreciate your replies since this is my dog's first journey on a long flight, so I am worried sick
Old Jun 8, 2014, 5:40 pm

Programs: AA (EXP); among others :)
I don't see why it should be impossible to transport your dog in the cabin. I've seen Maltese dogs travelling in the cabin on LH before. Lufthansa's weight limit for cabin dogs is 8 kgs (dog plus carrier together). Finding an accepted carrier that weighs no more than 1.5kgs should not be a problem, and you definitely should be able to transport your dog in the cabin. Lufthansa requires the kennel to be watertight (to prevent spillage from inflight "accidents") and bite-proof, and have max. dimensions of 55 x 40 x 23 cm. The dog needs to be able to stand up and lie down 'comfortably' in a kennel this size. This carrier will go under the seat in front of you (economy) esp. in the footwell area of your seat (premium cabins)
I do not know if there's special regulations in effect for trips originating in Iran, though. Please call LH at +49 69-86-799799 (their animal service center) to book your dog and discuss all requirements with them.

Are you familiar with the prerequsites required for your dog to enter Germany as well as Finland - paperwork etc.?
Old Jun 9, 2014, 3:25 am
Original Poster

Yes, I have all the required documents ready..?I have booked for the cargo area...As I said Iran is not a reliable place to get info regarding this matter...they might say yes you can take in the cabin and the second you wanna check in they tell you no it is not possible....Anyway thank s for your reply
Old Jun 9, 2014, 10:04 am

That's why I recommended you bypass the local franchise and use LH corporate in FRA (the phone number I listed above is a German one) to deal with them. They'll annotate your PNR with the PETC dog. Check-in personnel (most likely contract staff who might not be as well versed with the rules, especially for things they don't see every day) then don't have any decision to take but just process what's in the system.
For me, that worked pretty well at LH and other airlines so far.

since you now apparently committed to fly him in the hold (checked baggage or cargo?), answering your other questions:
In Frankfurt, your dog would be offloaded from the IKA flight, put in a waiting area that's appropriate for pets and loaded onto the MUC flight. In case you send him by cargo, this is where he'll spend the time in transit: http://www.lufthansagroup.com/en/the...al-lounge.html. LH has top-notch facilities for animals there, and they indeed have far fewer of the horror stories you hear about other airlines who spectacularly fail to treat pets in their care appropriately.
Do not check him through to HEL or wherever in Finland is your final destination, but only to MUC. You would definitely want to get him out in MUC during that six-hour layover (and then re-check him for the last leg). Someone has done a great writeup on MUC and dogs here. This is another reason why I recommend dealing with LHs animal desk - they could put all this in the PNR for the check-in staff in IKA to see in the system in plain sight already.

You could also short-check him to FRA and get him out during the layover there. An hour (what you effectively have between landing and needing to check hi mback in for the next flight) should be enough time to retrieve him (he'll arrive at the oversize baggage claim) and get him outside for a little walk. You'd need to pass through customs and thy might ask for the paperwork there, so have that handy. Then re-check him at the counter for the MUC flight. However, I'd only do that in a pinch or when you know he'll be needing a bathroom break before MUC as the time could run very short in case there's delays, or long lines anywhere etc.

Last edited by bhomburg; Jun 9, 2014 at 11:00 am
Old Jun 10, 2014, 4:52 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bhomburg
That's why I recommended you bypass the local franchise and use LH corporate in FRA (the phone number I listed above is a German one) to deal with them. They'll annotate your PNR with the PETC dog. Check-in personnel (most likely contract staff who might not be as well versed with the rules, especially for things they don't see every day) then don't have any decision to take but just process what's in the system.
For me, that worked pretty well at LH and other airlines so far.

since you now apparently committed to fly him in the hold (checked baggage or cargo?), answering your other questions:
In Frankfurt, your dog would be offloaded from the IKA flight, put in a waiting area that's appropriate for pets and loaded onto the MUC flight. In case you send him by cargo, this is where he'll spend the time in transit: http://www.lufthansagroup.com/en/the...al-lounge.html. LH has top-notch facilities for animals there, and they indeed have far fewer of the horror stories you hear about other airlines who spectacularly fail to treat pets in their care appropriately.
Do not check him through to HEL or wherever in Finland is your final destination, but only to MUC. You would definitely want to get him out in MUC during that six-hour layover (and then re-check him for the last leg). Someone has done a great writeup on MUC and dogs here. This is another reason why I recommend dealing with LHs animal desk - they could put all this in the PNR for the check-in staff in IKA to see in the system in plain sight already.

You could also short-check him to FRA and get him out during the layover there. An hour (what you effectively have between landing and needing to check hi mback in for the next flight) should be enough time to retrieve him (he'll arrive at the oversize baggage claim) and get him outside for a little walk. You'd need to pass through customs and thy might ask for the paperwork there, so have that handy. Then re-check him at the counter for the MUC flight. However, I'd only do that in a pinch or when you know he'll be needing a bathroom break before MUC as the time could run very short in case there's delays, or long lines anywhere etc.

Thank you so much for your info...I will deffinately call the number you have given me...I wanted to ask you something else, as I said, I have booked him in a cargo, is it possible to change his location to the cabin from IKA or FRA or even MUC?
Old Jun 11, 2014, 6:51 pm

Changing his status from AVIH to PETC should be possible, yes. I've only done it the other way around, though

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.