Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Travel with Pets
Reload this Page >

Half Brachycephalic dog - Boxer and lab - Safe for travel?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 27, 2014, 4:00 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

I've seen warnings on most airlines sites about Brachycephalic dogs. I have a mix of a boxer and lab who's nose isn't as stunted as a full boxer. Does anyone have experience with this or have any info on the health risks? I'm unlikely to fly him if it's an issue.
Old May 27, 2014, 7:33 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
Why risk it? If the dog has problems, in most cases, by the time it is discovered, it's too late!
Old May 29, 2014, 4:25 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Because I'd rather not drive 3500 miles. There's a risk in that as well.
Old May 31, 2014, 3:54 am

Programs: AA (EXP); among others :)
Well, you should know your dog and how he deals with elevated temperatures. Can he handle being out for 30-45 minutes on a hot summer day without any respiratory issues? Think waiting to be loaded onto the aircraft in his kennel on a baggage cart - out on the tarmac on a hot summer day.
In any case, ask your vet. On some airlines (AA), you'll need a health certificate anyway.

The dangerous part is not the flight itself but handling at the airport. The cargo compartments in passenger planes are temperature-controlled and rather cool, but he'll be exposed to the local climate at loading and unloading.
When you fly him, will you have a connection or is it a nonstop flight? Will the routing involve hot climates? Do you have the option to take a redeye flight that departs and arrives while the sun is not out?
Old Jun 2, 2014, 3:17 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

I created another thread to deal with some general questions like red eyes. This thread was looking more for information on brachycepahlic dogs.
Old Jun 2, 2014, 4:57 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
It's not only temperatures, it's about the hold / cabin altitude (lower oxygen partial pressure due to ~up to 8,000 MSL cabin altitude).

I'd recommend a website for those who own affected dogs or a reputable breeder or veterinarian who is familiar with such breeds.
Old Jun 2, 2014, 8:48 pm

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
This one is honestly best handled by your Vet. They will be able to evaluate the dog's physiology to determine if there is a legitimate risk.
Old Jun 2, 2014, 11:27 pm

Just as an FYI...

We have a British shorthair cat, a brachycephalic breed. When she gets anxious or hot, she wheezes. I asked our vet about flying with the cat, and the answer I got was that brachycephalic animals do not belong in aircraft holds. The long version had details about reactions to changes in humidity, fear reactions triggering shortness of breath, extreme temperatures, etc, etc. but what it came down to that the rule prohibiting brachycephalic pets in the hold exists for the safety of the animals.

Also, as one who has driven at least 10K miles with the family pets in the last couple years, I would say that I'd happily drive cross country again with pets rather risking their lives in the cargo hold. Too many stories about dead pets after flights, and that's for non-brachycephalic animals.
Old Jun 3, 2014, 6:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL FO, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold
IMHO, this is a simple decision. Error on the side of safety! @:-)
Old May 13, 2022, 6:39 am

My dog is lab/ boxer mix she has been flying between US/Germany for the past 7 years she is currently 9 years of age . I often state she has more frequent flyer miles than most humans. She has flown round trip 8 times thus far without difficulty. Rosie has a heart murmur born with it she also takes Phenobarbital diagnosed with seizures as a pup at less than 2 years of age, she flies excellently and thus far knock on wood without issues. I wish you the best with your fur baby .

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.