Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Travel with Pets
Reload this Page >

Sending 40 lb. dog GSP/CLT-NYC

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 30, 2014, 4:07 pm
Original Poster

Programs: American Airlines Platinum, National Executive

I have a 40-lb. dog who may be shipped from my parents' house to mine for a week this summer.

Does any airline that serves those city pairs allow a dog of that size either to travel unaccompanied or with its owner in the cabin?

Would Amtrak be an option? There is an overnight train, the Crescent, between those points, and there is also a day train, the Carolinian. The overnight train has sleeping cars.

I would rather not have to fly from NYC to GSP or CLT, pick up the dog, and fly back, but if that's the only safe way of getting my precious angel to NYC, I'll do it.

Thanks.
Old Mar 30, 2014, 6:19 pm

Depends on what airline you fly on. 40 pounds is definitely too big for in cabin so cargo is the only option. Several airlines won't transport during hot summer months, some never transport snub nose breeds and some don't transport animals in cargo anymore. There's a good sticky at the top of this page with information about different carriers. Good luck!
Old Apr 1, 2014, 6:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL FO, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by GalleyWench
Depends on what airline you fly on. 40 pounds is definitely too big for in cabin so cargo is the only option. Several airlines won't transport during hot summer months, some never transport snub nose breeds and some don't transport animals in cargo anymore. There's a good sticky at the top of this page with information about different carriers. Good luck!
I don't know of any airline that will allow a 40 lb. dog in the cabin unless it is a service animal like a seeing eye dog and you have the required documentation and clear it with the airline beforehand.
Old Apr 17, 2014, 1:09 pm
Original Poster

Programs: American Airlines Platinum, National Executive
Thanks. Can a dog fly unaccompanied- presumably as cargo?
Old Apr 17, 2014, 5:36 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
Originally Posted by NYCommuter
Thanks. Can a dog fly unaccompanied- presumably as cargo?
I don't think most airlines will allow the dog to fly unaccompanied as cargo.

Out of curiosity, why would you ship the dog for a week only?
Old Apr 17, 2014, 6:37 pm

Airlines that allow animals in cargo might ship it unaccompanied but also be careful of outdoor temperature restrictions in hot summer months. Most wont ship if the temperature is forecast to be above a certain point.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.