Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Travel with Pets
Reload this Page >

board the dogs or pay the pet fee?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 8, 2013, 9:13 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...

Mr. Kipper and I are planning a weekend away, and we're trying to decide if we should board the dogs or pay for the pet fee. If we board the dogs, it's about $150 for the weekend, including doggy day care. If we pay the pet fee, it's about $150. I'm leaning towards boarding them, in part because that way, we don't have to worry about them when we're not in the room.
Old Nov 9, 2013, 12:04 am

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
Do any of your friends or neighbors have responsible teens?
$150 in their pocket to walk the dog several times a day, feed-water and possibly stay over with your pets might be a good alternative. It's what my parents do with their dog.
Less stress on the animal. You can call and confirm everything is ok if you're feeling anxious. And you do a little good for a local person.
Old Nov 9, 2013, 6:33 am

$150 for a weekend?

Heck, if I lived a little closer, I'd take care of them for that!

Seriously, I pay a neighbor who cat sits for us $10/day. For that, she feeds twice, scoops the litter boxes twice, and spends time sitting on the couch petting all three.

Cultivate your neighbors.

p.s. a bored dog in a hotel room could end up costing you a whole lot more than $150
Old Nov 9, 2013, 11:01 am
Original Poster

LOL, we don't trust our neighbors with the dogs. I've posted in OMNI about how they treat their dog.
Old Nov 9, 2013, 11:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL FO, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold
Definitely board!
Old Nov 9, 2013, 2:04 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
I'd either board or find some friends nearby who could watch.

While I enjoy being with Holly (the dog), I think she kind of enjoys our trips, as she gets to spend time with either Molly & Latte (who live about a mile away) or Gandalf (lives a few miles the other direction). And it makes her so happy to come back home with us

For Molly & Latte's family, Holly sleeps with a ~12 year old girl, who also takes care of her. We'll pick up some local things for her during the trip (t-shirts and other souvenirs), plus give $100 or so in a card to her when we come back.
For Gandalf, we also watch him when his family goes away. But we'll pick up some t-shirts and things for their kids.
Either way, it is so nice knowing that Holly is well taken care of while we're away. Actually everyone wants to watch her ^
Old Nov 9, 2013, 2:42 pm

Originally Posted by kipper
LOL, we don't trust our neighbors with the dogs. I've posted in OMNI about how they treat their dog.
Meet more neighbors? Or maybe hire somebody from your rescue group?

The last time we boarded the cats, they came home with fleas and tape worms despite having had flea treatment the week before they went to the kitty hotel. Now they either go with us or the neighbor takes care of them.
Old Nov 10, 2013, 5:13 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CDTraveler
Meet more neighbors? Or maybe hire somebody from your rescue group?

The last time we boarded the cats, they came home with fleas and tape worms despite having had flea treatment the week before they went to the kitty hotel. Now they either go with us or the neighbor takes care of them.
I'm concerned about leaving them with someone who would have to take them out, as Cobaka can be a handful on a leash. Where we board them, they're able to stay indoors, and do their business on a special indoor grass.
Old Nov 11, 2013, 9:23 am

I've had poor luck with boarding, even though I carefully screen them and board my pups with only the best facilities. The first time was a doggy day care situation with night time boarding, and during playtime someone got too zealous and ripped into Capri's chest. Greyhounds are tender and delicious with easily ripped skin, so that was an instant vet visit for stitches. The problem was that this occurred on Christmas eve and we were on the other side of the country. The kennel did all the right things and took good care of her for the rest of our trip but it was unfortunate and expensive.

The next attempt at boarding was with a pet resort nearby. That went just fine, except that after we got home (late at night) with the dogs, we realized that our boy had a boot on one back leg that he didn't have before. I took it off and examined his foot but didn't see anything wrong. It was really mysterious.

So for our last trip we boarded them with "granny" (mother in law). That went so well that she greeted us on our return with "bad news.... you can't have them back"!
Old Nov 11, 2013, 12:59 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jcwoman
I've had poor luck with boarding, even though I carefully screen them and board my pups with only the best facilities. The first time was a doggy day care situation with night time boarding, and during playtime someone got too zealous and ripped into Capri's chest. Greyhounds are tender and delicious with easily ripped skin, so that was an instant vet visit for stitches. The problem was that this occurred on Christmas eve and we were on the other side of the country. The kennel did all the right things and took good care of her for the rest of our trip but it was unfortunate and expensive.

The next attempt at boarding was with a pet resort nearby. That went just fine, except that after we got home (late at night) with the dogs, we realized that our boy had a boot on one back leg that he didn't have before. I took it off and examined his foot but didn't see anything wrong. It was really mysterious.

So for our last trip we boarded them with "granny" (mother in law). That went so well that she greeted us on our return with "bad news.... you can't have them back"!
Grandma and Grandpa live on the other side of the state, and Grandpa is getting a bit old for Empress Cobaka's antics (after all, she still thinks everything attached to her is a sled), so boarding is more and more of an option.
Old Nov 13, 2013, 8:36 am

Now that is the kind of boarding arrangements that you want to have, someone who loves them like you do!
Old Nov 16, 2013, 10:18 pm

I'm concerned about leaving them with someone who would have to take them out, as Cobaka can be a handful on a leash. Where we board them, they're able to stay indoors, and do their business on a special indoor grass.
Problem solved!

Today at PetSmart I saw the Potty Patch for sale. Get those, and there'd be no need for the dog sitter to take them outside.
Old Nov 18, 2013, 2:24 pm

Grandma and Grandpa live on the other side of the state, and Grandpa is getting a bit old for Empress Cobaka's antics (after all, she still thinks everything attached to her is a sled), so boarding is more and more of an option.
Curious, have you trained her to pull a wagon or wear a vest to put things in so that she has a "job"? Geography is a problem, but if walking with the Grands/sitter involved some work along with just walking it may reduce the antics. This is completely aside from your boarding requirement, though, sorry.
Old Nov 18, 2013, 2:28 pm

Originally Posted by MissJoeyDFW
Now that is the kind of boarding arrangements that you want to have, someone who loves them like you do!
No kidding. Since she had them for close to two weeks straight, that was an accomplishment! They are very easy keepers, though.
Old Nov 18, 2013, 5:15 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CDTraveler
Problem solved!

Today at PetSmart I saw the Potty Patch for sale. Get those, and there'd be no need for the dog sitter to take them outside.
LOL, no, I don't think that will work.
Curious, have you trained her to pull a wagon or wear a vest to put things in so that she has a "job"? Geography is a problem, but if walking with the Grands/sitter involved some work along with just walking it may reduce the antics. This is completely aside from your boarding requirement, though, sorry.
We've tried to get her to carry things, but she generally protests and refuses to move.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.