Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Jetblue pet travel

Search this Thread

Old Jun 26, 2011, 3:57 pm
Original Poster

Jetblue pet travel

Hello, 1st post on the forum and 1st time traveling with pet.

I'm Traveling from St. Lucia to Buffalo new york, and i am with a pet,

he weighs less than 20lb with carrier, and i called jetblue to reserve his spot in cabin today, they insisted the fee was $200 to have him travel in the cabin.

Every where i've read, including the jetblue website and petpaws program, says it is $100 for each way. I told them it was a ONE WAY trip for the pet, and i didnt understand why the charge was $200. The agent didnt seen to know why either, and then he said "Oh you're making a stop in new york, and changing a plane"

So from everyones experience that has flown with jetblue or other airlines, with their pets, is it really an additional fee for connecting flights on the same ticket for your pet? Or did i happen to get someone who didn't have a clue as to how to do their jobs?

Thank you, any input will be appreciated.
Old Jun 27, 2011, 5:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL FO, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold
If you are connecting in JFK and both flights are on one locator there should be a $100 fee for most of B6's destinations. However the B6 website says the following:

JetBlue gladly accepts small cats and dogs in the aircraft cabin on both domestic and international flights (with the exception of flights to Jamaica, Barbados, and Saint Lucia). To book your pet, call 1-800-JETBLUE (538-2583). Please note: Pets cannot be booked online.

Based on this wording there there might be an additional fee for St. Lucia or they may not allow you to fly with your pet at all!!! Call back and get a supervisor to clarify and confirm that you will be allowed to take your pet when departing from St. Lucia and in addition get something emailed to you confirming that you will be allowed to depart from St. Lucia with your pet.

Also I would double check the weight for both your pet and the bag as some GA's might be really limit you to no more than 20 pounds combined.

Also have all of your up to date vet paperwork in order for this trip.

Required pet vaccination and documentation for each destination of your trip
Identification tags and vet certificate
A carrier that does not exceed 17"L x 12.5"W x 8.5"H. Your pet must be able to stand up and move around in the carrier with ease

Combined weight of your pet and carrier may not exceed 20 pounds
Old Jun 27, 2011, 12:29 pm
Original Poster

Hello RSSrsvp,

Thank you for taking the time respond. Yes, i understand and am aware of their policy with pets going to st. lucia, it is a rabies free country so pets flying from other countries are restricted, but they assured me that pets flying from st. lucia to the states wouldn't be a problem as long as i had all the vaccinations, paper work and rabies shots 30days prior to the trip.

I am connecting at JFK, it is about an hour and change lay over, i am going to call the jet blue customer service again and see if i can get my money back. All their website say $100 each way, ST. Lucia to JFK and JFK to Buffalo isn't 2 trips, its part of 1 trip. Im not paying for two tickets to go to JFK and then to buffalo, so why should my pet? As far as my research can tell, no one else has had this problem.
Old Jun 27, 2011, 12:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL FO, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold
When you have a connecting flight on the same ticket it should be one fee for the pet.

Instead of cancelling the ticket I would call back, escalate the issue and get a supervisor that knows what they are doing. Refer them to the "simple and extremely worded statement" on their site.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.