Man, 82, On Oxygen Kicked Off Plane

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 10, 2008, 6:01 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA, UA, DL , IHG Plat, Bonvoy Gold - 2009 FT Fantasy Football Champion

http://www.kpho.com/news/15016996/detail.html

The pilot of a US Airways flight said an 82-year-old man on oxygen didn't have the proper paperwork for the device and kicked him off the plane.
Bill Sullivan battles emphysema and congestive heart failure and said he needs his oxygen machine 24 hours day, seven days a week.
Old Jan 10, 2008, 7:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Thumbs down

...At issue was a special form meant to be signed by a doctor. Sullivan didn't have it but knew that he needed it. He said he wasn't asked to produce the document on his US Airways flight from Sacramento to Phoenix.

"The rules are the rules, the policies are the policies," Durrant said. "We need to follow it in this case. We didn't follow it for half of his trip and shame on us."

The airline was able to contact Sullivan's doctor. Sullivan was put on the next flight home, some four hours later. Now he said he's looking for someone to make the situation right.
So the guy knew he needed the form, didn't have it, and is complaining that the pilot was following the rules he knew about. The airline contacted his doctor and got him onto the next flight. He now wants compensation. What a jerk.
Old Jan 10, 2008, 8:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by xyzzy
So the guy knew he needed the form, didn't have it, and is complaining that the pilot was following the rules he knew about. The airline contacted his doctor and got him onto the next flight. He now wants compensation. What a jerk.
Yeah, I was too ashamed why 82 year old man gotten kick off the plane. What is reason why he does not have proper permissible from doctor. It doesn't have approval from his doctor will cause with his heart failure. He will dies onboard by entire flights. He will need more carefully what US agents is doing with him. What is stupid moves from US employees.
Old Jan 10, 2008, 8:40 pm

Programs: Chick-Fil-A Red, Wawa, Red Cross blood donor
He got home and only 4 hours late. If he had been asked to produce the form at SMF I don't think US would have been as helpful. He probably would have been stuck there for quite a while.

Short of US just ignoring the policy, he got lucky with how things played out.
Old Jan 10, 2008, 8:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by bitburgr
He got home and only 4 hours late. If he had been asked to produce the form at SMF I don't think US would have been as helpful. He probably would have been stuck there for quite a while.

Short of US just ignoring the policy, he got lucky with how things played out.
Yeah, I'm glad he made back home safety. He need more responsibility to gets approval from doctor to says ok to allowed carry the oxygen. It's importance to do followed the policy but, don't let US agent to ignorance the policy.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.