Go Back   FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel News
Sign in using an external account

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Jul 1, 05, 4:25 am   #1
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: ORD MDW
Programs: AA, UA, DL , PC Gold, SPG Gold, Avis PC - 2009 FT Fantasy Football Champion
Posts: 6,172
Former Presidential Candidate Caught by No-Fly List

http://www.infozine.com/news/stories...View/sid/8754/

He got 6 million votes when he ran for president in 1980, but John Anderson almost couldn't get on an airline flight to Europe in April because his name was similar to one on the government's watch list for terrorists.


Washington, D.C. - Scripps Howard Foundation Wire - infoZine - The former Illinois congressman joins Rep. Don Young, R-Alaska; Rep. John Lewis, D-Ga.; and Sen. Edward Kennedy, D-Mass., all of whom had trouble boarding flights last year for similar reasons.
sobore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1, 05, 5:57 am   #2
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Louisville, KY
Programs: AA, QF, DL, SPG, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
Posts: 53,513
Get rid of these un-American lists!!!
__________________
You cannot uphold American ideology with un-American actions. It's time for Change.
Spiff is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1, 05, 9:57 am   #3
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: BDL
Programs: NWA Platinum, HHonors Diamond, SPG, YX, AA
Posts: 5,348
Angry

My best friend in college was John Anderson, there is a County Singer named John Anderson, and I work with a guy named Jon Andersen there must be thousands of John Anderson's and Andersen's in the US, and they are all going to get harassed because there name is SIMILAR to some name on a watch list?

Since when did the American way of thinking move from the position that you are innocent until proven guilty?
MKEbound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1, 05, 10:28 am   #4
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing
Posts: 70,130
Quote:
Originally Posted by MKEbound
My best friend in college was John Anderson, there is a County Singer named John Anderson, and I work with a guy named Jon Andersen there must be thousands of John Anderson's and Andersen's in the US, and they are all going to get harassed because there name is SIMILAR to some name on a watch list?

Since when did the American way of thinking move from the position that you are innocent until proven guilty?
These blacklists by common names are just one of the problems posed by these unAmerican blacklists.

I am just amazed that Muhammad Ali's name is not yet announced as being on a blacklist. Toss in the spelling variation therein and there must be a few million persons with such name with one of whom having committed some crime somewhere. If this keeps up, then there will be more persons with names on the list than there have ever been terrorists since the beginning of human history.
__________________
Like TSA, DL SkyMiles management treats airline customers as if they are the enemy or sheep to be fleeced and it shows.
GUWonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1, 05, 11:19 am   #5
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Programs: UA MP
Posts: 1,151
Quote:
Originally Posted by MKEbound
My best friend in college was John Anderson, there is a County Singer named John Anderson, and I work with a guy named Jon Andersen there must be thousands of John Anderson's and Andersen's in the US, and they are all going to get harassed because there name is SIMILAR to some name on a watch list?

Since when did the American way of thinking move from the position that you are innocent until proven guilty?
The blacklists are very bad news for most people. With a lot of people you have to deal with romanization issues with their names (primarily that there are many different possible spellings for someone's name in another character system).

It is particularly bad for a lot of charities. In order to get money from a lot of organizations (one of the Ford foundations and the government), you have to agree not to employ anyone whose name is on a terror list. The only problem is that it is just a name with no other information and there are thousands of names. I think it was the head of the ACLU whose name was on the list (along with about 30 other people in New York City alone). So instead of making it a pain for people to get on an airplane, it can cost people their jobs .
acregal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1, 05, 3:54 pm   #6
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: DFW
Programs: AA,DL
Posts: 521
All congressman should be on the government watch list of terrorists. They do every thing to destroy USA.
elpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1, 05, 11:00 pm   #7
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: various cities in the USofA: NYC, BWI, IAH, ORD, CVG, NYC
Programs: UA 1K, National Exec. Elite
Posts: 5,478
From the article:

Quote:
About 13 percent of the 1.5 million Americans boarding U.S. airplanes every day are suspected of being terrorists
Our government suspects 13 PERCENT of us (US?) of being terrorists! How many terrorists have we actually caught at airports (and then convicted in a real court of law) since 11.09.01?

13 percent cannot be right. I'd believe that 13 percent of passengers get SSSSuspect treatment.
ralfp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 05, 3:29 am   #8
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing
Posts: 70,130
Quote:
Originally Posted by ralfp
From the article:



Our government suspects 13 PERCENT of us (US?) of being terrorists! How many terrorists have we actually caught at airports (and then convicted in a real court of law) since 11.09.01?

13 percent cannot be right. I'd believe that 13 percent of passengers get SSSSuspect treatment.
Would you say that the SSSS label does or does not seem to equate with the government's (and certain government contractors') opinion that those who get the SSSS are more likely to be terrorists than those who don't get the SSSS treatment?
__________________
Like TSA, DL SkyMiles management treats airline customers as if they are the enemy or sheep to be fleeced and it shows.
GUWonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 05, 8:39 am   #9
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: IN and NV
Posts: 1,007
Quote:
Originally Posted by elpi
All congressman should be on the government watch list of terrorists. They do every thing to destroy USA.
Don't forget the Senators and the Supreme Court Judges!
GDIW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 05, 2:49 pm   #10
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: MSY
Programs: NW Gold and now Delta Gold
Posts: 3,057
must happen to everyone with a common name now

My husband's name is about as common or perhaps more common than John Anderson, and he had to go to soft secondary returning from Panama this spring. It added about 45 minutes to clearing customs in IAH. We did make our next flight though because we had a long time between connections. I think I'll just have to allow extra time in future when making connections with him. He can't very well change his name, because he is himself well-known in his field of expertise. by the name he was born with. The staff at IAH was courteous, and they knew he wasn't a bad guy, but apparently they have to go through the procedure anyway.


Quote:
Originally Posted by sobore
http://www.infozine.com/news/stories...View/sid/8754/

He got 6 million votes when he ran for president in 1980, but John Anderson almost couldn't get on an airline flight to Europe in April because his name was similar to one on the government's watch list for terrorists.


Washington, D.C. - Scripps Howard Foundation Wire - infoZine - The former Illinois congressman joins Rep. Don Young, R-Alaska; Rep. John Lewis, D-Ga.; and Sen. Edward Kennedy, D-Mass., all of whom had trouble boarding flights last year for similar reasons.
peachfront is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Bookmarks


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 8:37 am.




SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.