Dog Dies in Cargo Hold on AC ZIP - Carbon Monoxide? Owners Devastated

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 4, 2004, 6:50 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA "Lifetime" Gold, AS MVPG100K, OW Emerald, HH Lifetime Diamond, IC Plat, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold

http://www.canoe.ca/NewsStand/Winnip...04/335084.html

Pooch dies on airplane

Couple bereft after pet brought out of cargo hold dead

By KATIE CHALMERS, STAFF REPORTER

An Ontario doctor says his healthy five-year-old dog died of carbon monoxide poisoning in the cargo hold of an Air Canada subsidiary flight to Winnipeg earlier this month. Darren Jakubec and his wife, Beth, took a Jan 4. ZIP flight from Smithers, B.C., to Winnipeg while en route to Ontario. Their Labrador-cross, Sila, was in her kennel in the baggage compartment of the plane.

Old Feb 4, 2004, 9:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Typically, there was also this sentence:
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2"> The Jakubecs have hired a lawyer to sue for expenses and lost income stemming from the ordeal.</font>
Old Feb 4, 2004, 9:14 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA "Lifetime" Gold, AS MVPG100K, OW Emerald, HH Lifetime Diamond, IC Plat, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by xyzzy:
Typically, there was also this sentence:
The Jakubecs have hired a lawyer to sue for expenses and lost income stemming from the ordeal.</font>
The article doesn't mention the dog's line of work so I have no idea how much income was lost.

Still and all, it sounds a little bit too much like a SNL skit to deliver the dog in its defunct state to the owners. "Sorry, sir, we thought it was having a catnap."
Old Feb 4, 2004, 11:11 pm

Programs: HiltonHonors, IHG Hotels, DL Skymiles
I'm confused, although I don't know Air Canada's specific rules about carrying animals. When animals are carried in cargo pits it is usually safe (temperature etc) but there are definite embargoes during winter and summer months. I mean, the dead of winter flying in Canada ??? Somehow I get the feeling this was weather (temperature) related and not carbon monoxide.

[This message has been edited by FlyingNone (edited Feb 04, 2004).]
Old Feb 5, 2004, 10:52 am

Programs: HH Gold. (Former) UA PP, DL PM, PC Plat
Where was this carbon monoxide supposed to have come from? There shouldn't be any way for it to get into the cabin.

Anyone know what type aircraft it was?
Old Feb 5, 2004, 2:01 pm

Location: DALLAS,TX AA EXP-3MM, HYT PLAT, SPG PLAT,HLT GLD,LEADERS CLUB
This is very sad but as someone who as flown with show dogs nation wide,this is more common then you may expect.There are many risks involved in transporting live animals,the airlines have done a much better job in recent years,but I can tell you of many horror stories of traveling with a dog.
Old Feb 5, 2004, 3:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Fredd:
Still and all, it sounds a little bit too much like a SNL skit to deliver the dog in its defunct state to the owners. "Sorry, sir, we thought it was having a catnap." </font>
I always find the odd assortment of items behind the glass in the "unclaimed stuff" wall at EWR to be interesting. The other day I saw a small pet carrier there. I looked -- it was empty.

[I also wonder about what happened to the owners of all the walkers, strollers, wheelchairs left there.]
Old Feb 5, 2004, 10:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
ZIP flies B737-200s, most went into service in the 1970s.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.