Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AIRPORT SECURITY: Agency will rethink McCarran cuts

Search this Thread

Old May 5, 2003, 1:56 pm
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M
Original Poster

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
AIRPORT SECURITY: Agency will rethink McCarran cuts

"Should McCarran end up with fewer screeners, Blank said the remaining work force has gained enough skill and experience to provide the same level of security that now exists at today's staff level.

That assumption was challenged, however, by several McCarran representatives who said passengers at the airport often wait more than an hour to pass through checkpoints and would likely experience additional delays should TSA make its cutbacks."

The delays are due to random harassement and inefficient use of resources, as well as the Great Pointy Object Search.

------------------
"Give me Liberty or give me Death." - Patrick Henry
Old May 5, 2003, 6:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM-3MM United Gold-MM Marriott Lifetime Titanium Hertz President's Circle
And let's not forget the most important reason: They will purposely slow down the lines to "prove" that they need all those people. That will teach those legislators who dared to cut the TSA's staff, won't it?

Bruce
Old May 5, 2003, 7:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Bruce,

You're right. We've allowed the debate about airport security to be one of "time waiting in line versus good security" instead of "civil liberties versus good airport security."

There are only a few of us out there who care more about the Constitution than making our flights on time. UGH!
Old May 5, 2003, 8:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I've never had too much trouble getting through McCarran in terms of hassle by the TSA agents, but even at full scanning capacity, at busy times the crowd is usually too big for them to handle.

My experience has been that there are enough TSA people such that secondary screenings arne't inconveniencing those who don't get the extra scrutiny. The only thing that would speed things up at busy times would be for them to not x-ray luggage or get more equipment and people, which there isn't room for, at least not at the D checkpoint. YMMV

d
Old May 5, 2003, 8:26 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by bdschobel:
And let's not forget the most important reason: They will purposely slow down the lines to "prove" that they need all those people. That will teach those legislators who dared to cut the TSA's staff, won't it?

Bruce
</font>
Very wise observation, Grasshopper

Old May 6, 2003, 5:05 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by bdschobel:

Bruce
</font>
Yeah I can just see that happening. It would be so obvious. Screening can be a time consuming affair for many reasons. Some screeners on the x-ray are "too careful" and call for bag checks on nearly every bag. That is one of my biggest peeves as we are not there to identify what every item in a bag IS, we are to identify what every item ISN'T. Now I cannot say how the screeners at every airport perform, but we do have our share of those who could speed things up a bit.

[This message has been edited by The Unknown Screener (edited 05-06-2003).]
Old May 6, 2003, 12:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
This all ASSUMES that the screening does any good. It is a known fact that weapons can and do get through the system. It is simple enough to use a fake ID, or in the case of the 9/11 folks, use their own ID.

Other than the time honored "better safe than sorry", is there a real reason to even have all this hassle? I think not.

Maybe we are asking the wrong questions. short lines, long lines, whats the difference?
Old May 6, 2003, 12:59 pm
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M
Original Poster

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
Huge gaping holes in security, but no pointy objects (hahaha!) on the plane. Random idiot evacuations, but no contingency plans for the evacuees' safety. Random harassment that continues to deter travelers from flying.

Your tax dollars/"security" fees at waste.

------------------
"Give me Liberty or give me Death." - Patrick Henry

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.