Old Oct 27, 2016, 3:48 pm
Original Poster

Programs: PA FT, TW Gold, NW/CO PE, VK Eagleflyer
AP: UPS Orders 14 748s

The Queen of the Sky gets a reprieve

https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/u...190023733.html
Old Oct 28, 2016, 5:09 pm

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
Was very excited when I read this. The Freight market will keep the queen alive (a little longer)
Old Oct 29, 2016, 6:35 am

Programs: LH SEN; BA Gold
Excited to read it, but I fear that this will only extend production a little.

I seriously can't see Boeing keeping the production line open longer than necessary. If they decide to make a 777-8F, which would close the gap to the 747-8F in terms of capacity, they would be essentially running two production lines for the same aircraft.

Pleasing cargo airlines needing 4 engines or the nose door will almost certainly not be sufficient to keep the production line open. if they really want to please those customers, they could always try a tail door (like on the 747-400LCF) or try to give the 777F a tiny upper deck and fit a nose door.
Old Oct 31, 2016, 12:35 pm

Originally Posted by WorldLux
If they really want to please those customers, they could always try a tail door (like on the 747-400LCF) or try to give the 777F a tiny upper deck and fit a nose door.
Any of those ideas would cost more than slowing or even pausing production on the 747 as they would require re-design or re-engineering. I am hopeful the line is moving slow enough that we will see a increases in demand for the 784F
Old Oct 31, 2016, 11:43 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, AAdvantage
Originally Posted by Madone59
Any of those ideas would cost more than slowing or even pausing production on the 747 as they would require re-design or re-engineering. I am hopeful the line is moving slow enough that we will see a increases in demand for the 784F
And more importantly, re-certifying. However, it's a big question -- how many people are on the 747 line? It surely costs a lot to keep them standing around...
Old Nov 1, 2016, 3:31 am

Programs: LH SEN; BA Gold
Originally Posted by chx1975
And more importantly, re-certifying.
Yes, but given that a 777-8F would need certifying anyway, they could potentially do a tail section that swings open. If it is economically viable for them, is another question.
Old Nov 1, 2016, 10:47 am

Originally Posted by chx1975
However, it's a big question -- how many people are on the 747 line? It surely costs a lot to keep them standing around...
That is a very big questions. Hopefully the line is slow enough that the UPS orders plus the 'Special USAF project' will take up some of the slack in the cargo market. There are plenty of 20+ year old 747's flying cargo that will need to be replaced sooner then later.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.