Search

LA Times: For the Galaxy, traveling to games is plane exhausting

Search this Thread

Old Oct 4, 2016, 8:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
LA Times: For the Galaxy, traveling to games is plane exhausting

Interesting article about the tough life MLS players live being forced to fly commercial like the rest of us. The article notes they are the only professional league in the US that flies commercial.

I do see the overall point, I think the ability to leave immediately after the game and not connect is the strongest argument for the use of corporate jets in sports but the following quote is hilarious:

The Galaxy’s 17 regular-season road games will require the team to fly more than 38,000 miles in 2016, farther than 22 Major League Baseball teams traveled — on charter flights — this year...

...Three MLS teams — Vancouver, Seattle and Houston — will fly more than 40,000 miles, with 16 of Vancouver’s flights including connections.
If traveling more than 40k with at least 16 connections is the requirement for corporate jet travel, I better give our travel department a call - I think that puts me in line for use one of our companies corporate jets

Looks like they get pretty good rates. Article states it cost $21k for 35 players including 7 in First Class to go LAX - DFW - LAX. That's pretty good

Article link: http://www.latimes.com/sports/soccer...nap-story.html
Old Oct 8, 2016, 2:12 pm

Programs: UA Slvr, DL Slvr, AA plt, HH LTD, MR tit/LTP at least two of those buy 10 get 1 free coffee cards
My beloved Timbers are indeed stinking it up on the road this year, but RCTID!
I dig the whole ethos of flying commercial, but maybe there could be a compromise? Charter for flights over XXX miles?

LAX, SJC, PDX, SEA, YVR maybe SLC on the west coast

NYFC/NYRB, PHL, BOS, WAS, YUL on the east.

ORD, MCI, DAL, HOU,DEN in the middle

are all short-ish flights from each other and can be done commercially, though it should be stipulated that a non-stop flight is required.

MCO isn't close to anyone, but with MLS sides coming in ATL and MIA, it will be.

LAX-YUL and similar matches are far enough that they should fly charter.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.