Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel News
Reload this Page >

Wired: Airplane Tires Don’t Explode on Landing Because They Are Pumped!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 22, 2016, 7:14 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)

"Aircraft tires are amazing when you think about it. The typical airliner tire can handle a 38-ton load. It can meet the ground 500 times before needing a re-tread, a refresh it can take on seven times in its life."

That's pretty impressive. 7 retreadings of 500 landings each is far more durable than I imagined. I have seen a few blowouts but still rather rare. Was on a CRJ-900 once at the gate and one of the front tires blew out. Due to flight curfews we spent the night.
Old Aug 22, 2016, 9:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Here's the link to the article for those who are interested...

https://www.wired.com/2016/08/airplane-tires/

Thanks for sharing.
Old Aug 22, 2016, 9:32 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
Thanks, I thought I had linked to it but must have messed that up.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.