Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Brexit... Should I Plan a Trip ASAP?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 28, 2016, 6:07 am
Original Poster

Brexit... Should I Plan a Trip ASAP?

I was thinking of taking my family to London to jump on the cheap Sterling but I was concerned that maybe the political climate might be a bit much. Any advice on if it's a good time to visit?
Old Jun 28, 2016, 6:09 am
nux
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, QF WP
What do you mean by "the political climate might be a bit much"?
Old Jun 28, 2016, 7:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 1.7 M, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, AARP Sophomore, 14-time Croix de Candlestick
OP - if your concern is over street protests or other political upheaval, that is simply not a reality.

The effects of the vote will be worked on in political back rooms for quite some time. Only if the new government announces unpopular measures might you see political action, but that is some ways away.

I say go, and enjoy yourselves!
Old Jun 28, 2016, 7:57 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
OP - It is a great time to visit. Not sure what currency you would be using, but if it is strong against the GBP, it will be much cheaper now than in the recent past and likely in the future.

If your concern is that Brexit will result in physical danger, do not let that be a worry. When you read of a breakdown of the government, this has to do with the policy-making apparatus, not with anything having to do with the functioning of the government, including public safety.
Old Jun 28, 2016, 9:48 am

Street protests may and do happen but dangerous protests or those that impact your travels just aren't a reality. Go and enjoy the exchange rate!
Old Jun 28, 2016, 10:13 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA Lifetime Platinum, DL Platinum, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz Platinum
re "Cheap Sterling": You don't have to take the trip now to benefit from the exchange rate. If you think that the Pound Sterling is historically cheap now, but will go up in value later, then buy Sterling in the amount of your vacation budget now to lock in the rate, and actually take the trip sometime down the road once the riots and mayhem in the streets have subsided (j/k).
Old Jun 28, 2016, 1:34 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by PuraVidaGuy311
I was thinking of taking my family to London to jump on the cheap Sterling but I was concerned that maybe the political climate might be a bit much. Any advice on if it's a good time to visit?
I was in London for the Brexit vote; and other than that and the London Pride festival, it was the same as usual for tourists, but a bit cheaper due to the exchange rate swing in my favor.

I would say it's a better time now than it was a few weeks back.
Old Jun 28, 2016, 3:27 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Since the Travel News forum's description is

Link to and discuss the latest travel news articles
and the op has cited no general travel news article for discussion, I will close this here and invite the op to seek out (or start) a thread in Travel Buzz or elsewhere to discuss this topic

cblaisd
Moderator, Travel News

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.