Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Wired: New airplane seating proposal

Search this Thread

Old Jul 9, 2015, 5:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat, DL GM and Flying Colonel; Bonvoy Platinum
Wired: New airplane seating proposal

This Wired article calls it "the most nightmarish idea for plane seating ever." (Their editors probably never spent five hours in the web "seats" along the sides of a USAF C-47, AKA DC-3, rigged for paratroops. I have.)

The idea, patented by seat supplier Zodiac Seats France, is called the "economy class cabin hexagon." It takes advantage of how people are wider at the hips and/or shoulders than at the feet, reversing every other seat in a row to fit more seats across the fuselage. The article says there are no current plans to make it into a product - or at least no public ones.
Old Jul 9, 2015, 12:31 pm

Yeah, yeah. We're always reading some story about this or that future seating scheme that never comes to be. It's just more fodder to get people hating on the airlines.
Old Jul 9, 2015, 12:40 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
A few airlines already have some business class seats facing backwards. BA definitely is one and UA might also do it for their 2-4-2 configuration (I've never been on those aircraft).
Old Jul 9, 2015, 5:04 pm

Programs: Marriott (Silver/Gold), IHG, Carlson, Best Western, Choice( Gold), AS (MVP), WN, UA
footsy time.....
Old Jul 9, 2015, 10:37 pm

Programs: Star Alliance
This idea would be truly horrific, it's bad enough on trains when you get forced to sit across from people and that's only for an hour or 2.
Old Jul 10, 2015, 9:26 am

If it gave the passenger a bit more room, I'd be willing to give it a try; however most airlines would, I suspect, would use the space thereby gained to jam one more file of seats into the aircraft cabin.
Old Jul 10, 2015, 3:21 pm

And you thought a middle seat was bad

How about this?

http://www.wired.com/2015/07/hey-loo...-seating-ever/
Old Jul 10, 2015, 3:41 pm

Programs: Marriott/SPG Plat, Hilton Gold
Lovely.

A new category of monetization opens up, upcharge so Lecherous [Moderator edit] can be seated between 2 Hot Young Things.

"Oops, I didn't MEAN to caress your thigh neighbour my hand just naturally lands there in this configuration."

Last edited by Ocn Vw 1K; Jul 10, 2015 at 9:27 pm Reason: Per FT Rules re vulgar language.
Old Jul 10, 2015, 3:47 pm

People will complain about it, but no one is forcing them to sit in such a setup. Maybe this could serve as the ultimate form of budget air travel (excluding the standing "seats" design).

I could see an ULCC taking up something like this. As airlines like Spirit have shown, price is the main factor, and there are many people willing to give up even more legroom to save some money. The only question I have is if this is even safe for evacuation purposes.

I would never fly in this configuration, but that is because I am fine with paying the rate of the Legacies and WN. You get what you pay for, though most of the American public doe not seem to think this should apply to commercial aviation.
Old Jul 10, 2015, 3:55 pm

Give UP Leg Room?

Originally Posted by AlexM125
People will complain about it, but no one is forcing them to sit in such a setup. Maybe this could serve as the ultimate form of budget air travel (excluding the standing "seats" design).

I could see an ULCC taking up something like this. As airlines like Spirit have shown, price is the main factor, and there are many people willing to give up even more legroom to save some money. The only question I have is if this is even safe for evacuation purposes.

I would never fly in this configuration, but that is because I am fine with paying the rate of the Legacies and WN. You get what you pay for, though most of the American public doe not seem to think this should apply to commercial aviation.
Give up leg room? How about giving up one's dignity? Doug
Old Jul 10, 2015, 4:22 pm

Programs: Delta PM Hilton Diamond Bonvoy Ti/LTP Hertz PC
I think I'd prefer this to most economy configs. More shoulder and elbow room. I don't really see the problem with someone facing me, off to the side. Chances are one or both of us will be busy staring at a tablet or a laptop, or I could just wear shades and sleep.
Old Jul 10, 2015, 4:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
I would actually prefer such a configuration when traveling with a partner. Makes conversation easier. More shoulder and elbow room, which is the biggest problem with Economy seating today. No way could this plane ever be evacuated quickly in an emergency though. For that reason alone I'll venture that it will never come to fruition.
Old Jul 10, 2015, 5:11 pm

Programs: DL Pork Medallion, PP, GE
Originally Posted by AlexM125
The only question I have is if this is even safe for evacuation purposes.
Originally Posted by greathustle
I think I'd prefer this to most economy configs. More shoulder and elbow room. I don't really see the problem with someone facing me, off to the side. Chances are one or both of us will be busy staring at a tablet or a laptop, or I could just wear shades and sleep.
It's funny, this morning I woke up and saw the report and pics of the new 75H interiors and noticed the posted had mentioned the FC seats would be manufactured by Zodiac. I tried to look up some info on the seats but only came across Zodiac's website, and saw some things about those weird seats. Then I get on FT later today and everyone is buzzing about them.

But yeah, I don't think these would fly (pun partially intended) when it comes to evacuation safety. The ONLY thing I can think of would be the conceptual quest for enhancing the battle for armrests/shoulder room, as you point out.

I'm sure these are like concept cars: manufacturers come up with these futuristic alien-looking designs that never actually come to fruition. I don't anticipate the basic design and layout of a seat to change, seeing as they haven't really changed much throughout the history of civilization.
Old Jul 10, 2015, 6:37 pm

Programs: HiltonHonors, IHG Hotels, DL Skymiles
What came to my mind were slave ships. The only thing missing are shackles.
Old Jul 10, 2015, 9:33 pm

It would be awkward, and yes, they'd add more seats which I suppose is the awful point of the idea

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.