Search

Bloomberg: Used A380 Superjumbos Threaten Airbus’s Drive for Sales

Search this Thread

Old Jun 8, 2015, 12:01 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Post Bloomberg: Used A380 Superjumbos Threaten Airbus’s Drive for Sales

Airbus Group SE is set to face a fresh challenge in reviving sales of its flagship A380 superjumbo as used aircraft hit the market.
Malaysia Airlines Bhd. said June 2 it would like to dispose of two of its six A380s, deliveries of which began three years ago, while two built for failed carrier Skymark Airlines Inc. are seeking new owners. Thai Airways International PCL could also attempt to sell some of its six planes, all of them less than three years old, people familiar with the situation said.
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articl...-s-sales-drive

Airbus hasn't received a new order for this aircraft in 3 years. Is the end near for the production line?
Old Jun 8, 2015, 1:40 am

Programs: BA, TK, HHonours, Le Club, Best Western Rewards
There is a very small market for these aircraft, so I wonder what sort of price they will get for them.

There are rumors about an upgraded A380 which Emirates have requested.
Old Jun 8, 2015, 1:47 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Upgraded in terms of an even bigger aircraft with more seats, or just an aircraft with more amenities?
Old Jun 8, 2015, 1:53 am

Programs: BA, TK, HHonours, Le Club, Best Western Rewards
Originally Posted by tom911
Upgraded in terms of an even bigger aircraft with more seats, or just an aircraft with more amenities?

Enhanced engine (which I assume means more economical), rearranged seating to provide more seats in Y. I assume they can make further weight saving improvements as well.

Amenities are normally down to the airline.
Old Jun 8, 2015, 2:34 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, MileagePlus, Marriott Rewards
Who's the FTer that says he only ever flies on the a380 to go anywhere, otherwise he won't go? (I swear I recall reading this somewhere here)... I guess his travel options are going to start dwindling soon
Old Jun 9, 2015, 2:02 pm
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
The current backlog is a little over three years of production, so end can't be that near.

Boeing recieved only 2 orders for 747-8 last year, so I guess both manufacturers overestimated the market. IIRC, Airbus said the A380 "was launched a decade too early" - they anticipated airport congestion would force operators to go for larger aircraft to meet demand without new slots. I guess it hasn't happened yet.
Old Jun 9, 2015, 2:39 pm

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by intuition
...so I guess both manufacturers overestimated the market.
Boeing invested in the upgrades that made 748i because the Air Forces needs to replace their two old VC25-A's. Also as the air-cargo market rebounds more orders will come in. Airbus started with a white sheet of paper, and missed. That is not the same thing.
Old Jun 9, 2015, 11:24 pm
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
I agree they are different situations.
But I think both estimated the market for VLA to be fairly large. Boeing estimated around 700 aircraft, Airbus 1200 IIRC. In that respect it seems that both did overestimations or that something fundamental has changed.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.