Old Apr 9, 2015, 7:32 am
Original Poster

Programs: PA FT, TW Gold, NW/CO PE, VK Eagleflyer
NYT: Aboard Flights, Conflicts Over Seats and Religion

This will probably end up in OMNI, but let the discussion begin:

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/04/10/us...=top-news&_r=0
Old Apr 9, 2015, 10:06 pm

Programs: United 1K, AC 50K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriot Platinum
I'm fine with it. If they don't want a woman sitting next to them they can pay for the empty seat.
Old Apr 10, 2015, 1:06 pm

I'd probably switch but only if seat was a like for like. Why should it be the woman's problem to find a new seat, not the Orthodox man? There was an example of one man sitting between two women who moved but most stories seem to be an Orthodox man insisting someone else move to satisfy their religious practices.
Old Apr 10, 2015, 5:21 pm
Suspended

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
I'll swap with anyone for an equivalent seat. No worries. I hope the nice orthodox man now beside me doesn't mind if I eat treif.

What happens if an orthodox Jewish woman is travelling? Does the same apply to her if she is pressed against a man who is not her husband?
Old May 23, 2015, 6:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/LTP, BA GGL/CCR/GfL, HH D/LTD, SPG/MR Plat/LTP
Originally Posted by gspurr
I'm fine with it. If they don't want a woman sitting next to them they can pay for the empty seat.
Just what I thought when i read it in NYT
Old May 24, 2015, 1:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
Originally Posted by zitsky
I'd probably switch but only if seat was a like for like. Why should it be the woman's problem to find a new seat, not the Orthodox man? There was an example of one man sitting between two women who moved but most stories seem to be an Orthodox man insisting someone else move to satisfy their religious practices.
Exactly. If I was next to him why should I have to go and find another seat why doesn't he go and ask around.

It should be addressed at check in, not when they get on the plane. Surely the airline would possibly have experienced that with planes going to certain countries and be a bit more proactive.
Old May 24, 2015, 8:52 am

Programs: UA MP
Passengers with special requirements need to make the preparations and inconvenience themselves, not others. If it means shelling out the cash for an empty seat or not traveling alone so that they and their travel partner can choose seats that prevent such issues from happening, then they need to do that. I'm with the woman who refused to switch with her husband due to his anxiety- why should someone be expected to inconvenience themselves due to a lack of planning on the part of someone else? Whatever happened to personal responsibility?
Old May 24, 2015, 9:18 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Some people don't want to sit next to:
1. People of the opposite sex
2. Children
3. Adults
4. Windows

And so on. The underlying reason is not relevant. The problem is that by the time you toss them all into the mix, the prospect of rearranging an entire cabin to suit everybody's preference is either impossible or hard and certainly causes delay.

Carriers are generally private entities. Other than government-mandated rules, e.g. for the disabled, if you choose a carrier, you live by its rules. If you don't agree with the rules, you either fly another carrier or you work to change the rules.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.