Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel News
Reload this Page >

Quartz: The pilots of Instagram: beautiful views from the cockpit, violating rules

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Quartz: The pilots of Instagram: beautiful views from the cockpit, violating rules

Search this Thread

Old Dec 12, 2014, 10:07 am
was thetravelingRedhead
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Silver Medallion, United Silver Premier

http://qz.com/233165/the-pilots-of-i...es-of-the-air/

Not sure what to think about this one (or this organizations credibility). I quite like the instagram shots, but if they are doing some unsafe things its a no go.

Pretty creepy they spent 6 months looking and researching for this article.. its a pain to read too.
Old Dec 12, 2014, 3:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EXP, AA-0.41MM, UA-Gold, Ex UA-1K (2006 thru 2015), PMUA-0.95MM, COUA-1.5MM-lite, AF-Silver
Originally Posted by thetravelingRedhead

Not sure what to think about this one (or this organizations credibility). I quite like the instagram shots, but if they are doing some unsafe things its a no go.

Pretty creepy they spent 6 months looking and researching for this article.. its a pain to read too.
I've my doubts anything sitting in a pilot's seat is taking photos during takeoff/landing. Probably someone in the jump seat taking photos while standing behind the pilots.
Old Dec 12, 2014, 9:59 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Tit, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold, Carlson Gold, UA*S,
Pilots taking pictures for Instagram instead of flying the plane!

Breaking of sterile cockpit rules here

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ming-LAND.html
Old Dec 12, 2014, 10:09 pm
Suspended

Are you under the impression these are AA/US pilots-- or that this is specific to AA/US?
Old Dec 12, 2014, 10:14 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Tit, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold, Carlson Gold, UA*S,
Some are apparently!
Old Dec 12, 2014, 10:31 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
The article is not airline specific, so it will port over to Travel News.

/Moderator
Old Dec 13, 2014, 11:12 am

Wow. So wrong on so many fronts. It's not a violation of sterile cockpit for the jumpseater to take a picture as long as they're not distracting. Or for anyone else to take a picture when not in sterile cockpit. This is typical ill informed scare mongering.

Last edited by WhIteSidE; Dec 13, 2014 at 7:12 pm Reason: spelling
Old Dec 13, 2014, 4:37 pm

Programs: 2015 kettle
Originally Posted by mre5765
Quote:

believe me--it happens.

Originally Posted by thetravelingRedhead

I've my doubts anything sitting in a pilot's seat is taking photos during takeoff/landing. Probably someone in the jump seat taking photos while standing behind the pilots.
Old Dec 13, 2014, 6:01 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Unfortunately, the [readacted per FT Rules] author was on CBS Morning News today creating more fear mongering. I hope this story dies a quick death. Amazing that this guy writing for free spends six months on a useless story and seems to be going out of his way trying to get pilots fired.

Last edited by cblaisd; Dec 14, 2014 at 5:06 am
Old Dec 15, 2014, 8:32 am
COU

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, Bonvoy Titanium Elite, HH Gold
I love to fly....I'm certain the pilots do as well....and I'm thankful for them sharing their views/photos to those of us who will never get to experience their perspective.....I also suspect that they wish to arrive safely as well, and will not jeopardize that by taking a picture at an inappropriate time
Old Dec 15, 2014, 10:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by C17PSGR
Unfortunately, the [readacted per FT Rules] author was on CBS Morning News today creating more fear mongering. I hope this story dies a quick death. Amazing that this guy writing for free spends six months on a useless story and seems to be going out of his way trying to get pilots fired.
If they pilots adhere to the rules, they don't get fired. I don't want my pilot screwing around in the cockpit just so he or she can make a nice photo for Instagram. Hardly a useless story.
Old Dec 15, 2014, 10:18 am

taking selfies is not keeping an eye on the plane and the surroundings.
They should be paying attention and not being idiots.
Old Dec 15, 2014, 11:55 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
Are they actually holding up their phones and taking the photo? or are they setting up some sort of camera they attach to the window (or something) and having it record or trigger at some point? I don't see an issue on the later as its just recording like a FDR and not affecting the pilot in any way.
Old Dec 15, 2014, 12:19 pm

Originally Posted by eng3
Are they actually holding up their phones and taking the photo? or are they setting up some sort of camera they attach to the window (or something) and having it record or trigger at some point? I don't see an issue on the latter as its just recording like a FDR and not affecting the pilot in any way.
in several of the pics, the pilots were using their hands or a selfie stick
Old Dec 17, 2014, 11:34 am

Programs: UA 1K, BA Gold, Hyatt Plat., Marriott Plat.
The backlash from pilots has apparently been pretty severe and on this FB page.

Seems like a knee-jerk reaction by a group caught with their pants down. Death-threats? Seriously?

Im a physician, and you better believe there are rules and policies in place for me that I think are "stupid, redundant, superfluous, etc." but I follow them to the letter because, you know, I don't want to kill anybody.

When you're cruising, fine-take whatever picture you want, whatever. But during taxi, takeoff, approach, and landing, please, focus on your job and put the phone down.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.