Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > Europe
Reload this Page >

Iceland's Bįršarbunga volcano: Europe could soon be under another giant ash cloud

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Iceland's Bįršarbunga volcano: Europe could soon be under another giant ash cloud

Search this Thread

Old Aug 20, 2014, 9:55 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA/AA

Europe is keeping an anxious eye on the north as one of Iceland's biggest volcanoes shows signs of activity. Will a new ash cloud paralyze our aviation industry?

Here's 10 facts you need to know.

http://www.dw.de/icelands-b%C3%A1r%C...oud/a-17866991
Old Aug 21, 2014, 7:46 am
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Per http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trave...ing-helps.html will move to the appropriate destination forum while leaving a permanent re-direct in Travel News.

cblaisd
Moderator, Travel News
Old Aug 21, 2014, 8:48 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
...and already being actively discussed in the BA forum (and probably others)

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...ano-alert.html
Old Aug 21, 2014, 10:01 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum, USDM Gold, National Exec Elite, IHG Dumped-now Kettle, SPG Platinum
Another Potential Icelandic Volcano Eruption

Air Traffic warning around Iceland is upgraded to "orange" or one step below "currently erupting"

"A spokesman for the CAA said: “If you got the same level of ash as in 2010 there would probably be very little impact on the UK at all. If the ash was thicker than in 2010 there would still be an impact, as airlines won’t fly through high density ash.” "

10% of Iceland now restricted zone - no foot for vehicle traffic permitted

"Last night the police and rescue services went to all campsites in the area and evacuated the people there. Today they had a plane look out for stragglers."

If the cloud is bigger than the 2010 event, it could cause even more travel havoc and for a longer time.
Old Aug 21, 2014, 12:10 pm
Community Director Emerita

Thanks for the posts re possible travel disruptions. I know FTers headed there from the US next weekend. I've merged two threads to keep the information in one spot. Keep it coming, please.

Carol/SanDiego1K
Community Director
Old Aug 23, 2014, 11:48 am

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Iceland closed the airspace near the Bardarbunga volcano on Saturday, warning that significant emission of ash into the atmosphere is likely.

The Icelandic Meteorological Office raised the aviation alert at Bardarbunga to "red," which means that eruption is imminent or in progress.
http://www.cnn.com/2014/08/23/world/...html?hpt=hp_t2

Nothing has yet broken through the surface, and could ultimately remain sub-glacial...or not.
Old Aug 23, 2014, 12:16 pm
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
Time to make this sticky, I think...

stut
Europe Forum
Old Aug 23, 2014, 9:55 pm

Iceland: Volcanic Disruptions/Cancellations? [merged]

I have non refundable Saga flights to Paris from Toronto on Sept 10 and returning on the 20th through Rekyavik. When might Icelandic let me know if they plan on flying or will cancel? If they do cancel, will they offer to put me on another carrier in the same class? The uncertainty of volcano-related flight disruptions weighs mightily on my travel plans. What have they done in the past in similar situations?
Old Aug 23, 2014, 10:27 pm
Used to be 'flymanbeast'

Programs: Delta silver/marriot platinum
Would the Iceland volcano interrupt flights?

I am flying jfk to Frankfurt Wednesday ... would the volcano interrupt the flight if it starts up or would the airline just go around it? I am going with Singapore air
Old Aug 24, 2014, 12:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by howtofreetravel
I am flying jfk to Frankfurt Wednesday ... would the volcano interrupt the flight if it starts up or would the airline just go around it? I am going with Singapore air
Since this question isn't really on-topic for the Information Desk, I'll move it to the TravelBuzz forum where the folks therein can provide further input.

Please note this thread originated in the flame-free Information Desk forum.

jackal
Moderator, Information Desk
Old Aug 24, 2014, 1:06 am

Simple answer - nobody knows. Too many factors - type of eruption, volume of eruption, height of eruption, weather forecast...

... - will affect what flights are affected - if any
Old Aug 24, 2014, 1:50 am

Programs: AS,TK
Iceland: Volcanic Disruptions/Cancellations? [merged]

it said that it might not erupt on grapevine
www.grapevine.is
I go to Iceland a lot , i think icelandair can handle this situation easily, they are experienced with bad condition
Old Aug 24, 2014, 5:21 am
Senior Moderator

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] clawing way back to WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
Sorry for the multiple moves, but since there is an active, consolidated thread in the Europe forum, I'll move this there. Ocn Vw 1K, Moderator, TravelBuzz.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/europ...ash-cloud.html
Old Aug 26, 2014, 10:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/LTP, BA GGL/CCR/GfL, HH D/LTD, SPG/MR Plat/LTP
Originally Posted by howtofreetravel
Propably no disturbance to expect for tomorrow's flight

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.