Old May 15, 2014, 5:13 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA UA JP Skywards QMiles SPG Gold
Pilot lands on road, refuels plane at petrol pump

Is this the future ?

Plane refilled at Petrol Pump
Old May 15, 2014, 7:54 am
Senior Moderator

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] clawing way back to WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
8u5yb3e, welcome to FlyerTalk. Please follow the thread as it moves to the Travel News forum. Ocn Vw 1K, Moderator, TravelBuzz.
Old May 17, 2014, 9:30 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium Elite, National Executive
Sure, why not? That's not illegal even here (US) assuming some other little requirments are met (p.s., go visit AK). Pulling into a gas station is kinda different but certainly not the landing on a public road part -- maybe not entirely common but not completely rare either. In China, however, that may not go over so well...
Old May 17, 2014, 7:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Originally Posted by CaptRobPhD
That's not illegal even here (US)
SUBCHAPTER C. USE OF PUBLIC ROADS BY AIRCRAFT

Sec. 24.021. TAKING OFF, LANDING, OR MANEUVERING AIRCRAFT ON HIGHWAYS, ROADS, OR STREETS; OFFENSE. (a) A person commits an offense if the person takes off, lands, or maneuvers an aircraft, whether heavier or lighter than air, on a public highway, road, or street except:

(1) when necessary to prevent serious injury to a person or property;

(2) during or within a reasonable time after an emergency; or

(3) as provided by Section 24.022.

(b) An offense under Subsection (a) is a misdemeanor punishable by a fine of not less than $25 and not more than $200.
Old May 18, 2014, 8:49 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium Elite, National Executive
I should restate that there are no federal regulations that prohibit it -- although most pilots will likely have 91.13 in their mind should the slightest hiccup occur. However, since post #4 points to an example, I thought I'd post the rest of the regulation from what looks to be Texas and was conveniently left out [my guess is most states are similar, see AK 02.20.050 for one -- looks like AK they did away with mandatory gun carry too; off airport landings other than roads even less restrictive, 91.13 notwithstanding]:

"Sec. 24.022. USE OF AIRCRAFT ON COUNTY ROADS
Effective: Saturday, October 19, 2013
(a) A commissioners court of a county may enact ordinances to ensure the safe use of county roads by aircraft. An ordinance may:

(1) limit the kinds of aircraft that may use the roads;

(2) establish the procedure that a pilot shall follow before using a road, including requiring the pilot to furnish persons with flags at both ends of the road to be used; or

(3) establish other requirements considered necessary for the safe use of the roads by aircraft.

(b) A pilot who follows the ordinances adopted under Subsection (a):

(1) may land or take off in the aircraft on a county road; and

(2) is not subject to the traffic laws of this state during the landing or takeoff."

A quick look in PA's laws and I couldn't find similar nor prohibition except the catchall 'damage to persons or properties" stuff...

Last edited by CaptRobPhD; May 18, 2014 at 9:09 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.