Original Poster

Programs: PA FT, TW Gold, NW/CO PE, VK Eagleflyer
SeatGuru In The News

http://www.washingtonpost.com/lifest...1f27af&hpid=z6
Old May 11, 2014, 7:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
What a horrible review.

"It's not as good as other apps at doing what those other apps do, because that's not what it's intended to do. So it's bad."

The author has never chosen a seat before showing up at the airport??
Old May 11, 2014, 8:02 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, UA Gold
Originally Posted by CPRich
What a horrible review.

"It's not as good as other apps at doing what those other apps do, because that's not what it's intended to do. So it's bad."

The author has never chosen a seat before showing up at the airport??
I don't think he has...

Originally Posted by A not so great review
And there’s the rub: No matter how savvy SeatGuru’s cabin maps may be, the only map that matters to me, as a regular flier, is the color-coded cost one on an airline’s booking page. An extra $25 to sit in the exit row? No, thanks; I’ll stay in the seat I’ve been randomly assigned.

I don't think he knows what 'regular flier' means.
Old May 13, 2014, 6:31 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, IHG Gold, HHonors Diamond, National Executive Elite
SeatGuru In The News

Yeah obviously doesn't know what SeatGuru is good for. I pretty much check it every time I choose my seats.
Old May 13, 2014, 9:28 pm

Programs: BA/AA/UA
National political reporting aside, the Post nowadays offers a lot of astonishingly amateurish writing--and editing. Features like this one are generally among the worst. Often misleading and sometimes outright erroneous information.
Old May 13, 2014, 9:42 pm

Programs: QFF Gold, Flying Blue, Enrich
Originally Posted by dinoscool3
I don't think he has...

Flies once a year (regular as clockwork) and selects his seat at check in at the airport.
Old May 22, 2014, 2:05 pm

I fly at least 6-8 legs every month and I do not find the seatguru app to be accurate. I've noticed on certain aircraft they do not correctly identify which seats do not recline and their exit row seats can be off by as many as 2-3 rows. Bulkhead room/information is not accurate either.

As someone else mentioned, I believe the premium seating chart gives me a better idea of where to sit on a plane, but if I have last minute change and am stuck, I like to prepare myself mentally for the uncomfortable experience ahead and I have not found seatguru to be useful.

I now make notes in a folder on my phone - perhpas I should start sharing them
Old May 23, 2014, 12:17 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by RoadWarriorChi
I fly at least 6-8 legs every month and I do not find the seatguru app to be accurate. I've noticed on certain aircraft they do not correctly identify which seats do not recline and their exit row seats can be off by as many as 2-3 rows. Bulkhead room/information is not accurate either.
Are you pulling up the correct configuration? Some have different ones for same plane type & that will make a difference.

Cheers.
Old May 23, 2014, 4:30 pm

I don't think he has...

That depends on what definition you're using... Regular doesn't just mean often, it can also mean normal. A normal flier probably being someone who flies a couple of times a year.
Old May 23, 2014, 4:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
I think the author should ask a grown-up to help him with the app.
Old May 25, 2014, 6:56 pm

Programs: VA WP, UA 1k, QR G, AZ WP
why doesn't the author seem to consider that some of us might make bookings from our smartphone?
Old May 26, 2014, 1:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
Because he is an idiot ?

Last edited by Silver Fox; May 26, 2014 at 2:12 pm Reason: Removed the word quoted in Dovster's post below :)
Old Jun 3, 2014, 7:33 am

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards. Tha... that's about it.
I'm not a frequent flier, but even I knew about SeatGuru long before I came to FT.

As an infrequent flier, I was under the impression that most frequent fliers select their seats at the time of booking - whether they book by phone app or web page - and not while they're juggling a bunch of stuff when they check in at the airport counter. Nor do most typically FFs settle for randomly assigned seats, except in extreme short-notice bookings where they have no choice. But, according to this guy, I'm wrong about that.

Likewise, it seems to me, as an outside observer, that a large percentage of FFs are business fliers who don't mind shelling out the extra $25 for an aisle seat, if it allows them to arrive at their business meetings without leg cramps or rumpled suits. Because, you know, mostly they get reimbursed for that legitimate business expense as part of their travel costs. But I see now, thanks to the article, that my perception of that might be distorted.

Oh, wait - frequent fliers check in at the airport counter? I thought they mostly checked in remotely, via phone app or web access. My mistake.

Hm... I also wonder how much stuff most frequent fliers have to juggle while they're in the airport, since the average road warrior seems to be savvy enough to pack their carry-ons intelligently and not have to juggle their items. I mean, even though I only fly once or twice a year, I kinda know what to expect at the airport and I plan and pack to avoid hassles and awkwardness. But I guess that's just me. FFs, according to the article, are much less organized and prepared than I am.

I'm such a kettle, I never truly understood any of this stuff until Alex Baldinger explained it!

I don't think he has...

Originally Posted by callum9999
That depends on what definition you're using... Regular doesn't just mean often, it can also mean normal. A normal flier probably being someone who flies a couple of times a year.
Yes, the word "regular" can have a variety of meanings, depending on context.

I take this guy's use of the word to mean "digestively regular", since he seems to be full of crap. Maybe he eats a lot of Activia.

Last edited by WillCAD; Jun 3, 2014 at 7:53 am
Old Jun 7, 2014, 2:18 pm

Programs: UGS, Aeroplan dBlack
Thumbs down

I always use SeatGuru to check where I'm sitting while checking in so that I can get a clear picture? Am I near a toilet, near the service area?

I'm on so many different planes that I need to know in order to get out on time to my next flight. Plus, I just want to be comfortable.

The author most certainly doesn't understand what SeatGuru is for. I use the other apps he mentions to track my bookings only.

And no, I rarely check in at the gate. It's done prior to leaving or while being a road warrior.

Sad article unfortunately.
Old Jul 4, 2014, 7:00 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Gold, AA, DL
I agree that this is one of the stupidest reviews I've ever read. I'm somewhat familiar with the writer and hope that, in future, he sticks to reviewing nightlife in the area.

To add to the points above, who uses SeatGuru for flight status?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.