Wiki Posts
Search

Airplanes & Ice. The Travails of Winter Flying

Search this Thread

Old Feb 13, 2014, 4:19 pm
Original Poster

Airplanes & Ice. The Travails of Winter Flying

A special ASK THE PILOT installment today at www.boston.com:

Everything you need to know about icing, deicing, and the perils of winter flying.

As another winter storm bears down, about the last place you'd want to be is headed out to the airport to catch a flight. Delays and cancellations pile up, causing a ripple effect clear across the country and beyond. But what is it, exactly, about winter weather that wreaks such havoc for air travel?

http://www.boston.com/community/blog...orms_dont.html

Patrick
Old Feb 13, 2014, 5:55 pm

Programs: AA Plat SPG Gold
Very good rundown of winter airport travel. This is something I take granted in this day and age.

Speaking of winter travel, there's a video floating around on the internet where an Aeroflot plane that had ice on its wing landed safely. Management afterwards said this was "normal".
Old Feb 14, 2014, 11:36 pm

Programs: Lifetime AS 1MM & MVPG, AS MVPG100K, AA, DL, HH-G
Originally Posted by GateHold
But what is it, exactly, about winter weather that wreaks such havoc for air travel?

http://www.boston.com/community/blog...orms_dont.html

Patrick
The eastern U.S. is completely unprepared for anything more than a few flakes coming down. The staff has no clue, ground handling is unprepared and there is little equipment to de-ice the planes to send them on their way
Old Feb 15, 2014, 8:14 am

Programs: UA-GS, Hyatt-Defiantly Diamond, Marriott-Platinum, SPG-Platinum
Originally Posted by BOB W
The eastern U.S. is completely unprepared for anything more than a few flakes coming down. The staff has no clue, ground handling is unprepared and there is little equipment to de-ice the planes to send them on their way
Gosh, that's an interesting opinion. I suppose from Alaska it is easy to say that, but not so easy when you're actually in the east, with a greater number of people, take-offs, landings, etc. As the author posits, increased delays in snowstorms stem from the fact that the number of take-offs and landings has increased so much, but our infrastructure hasn't increased at the same rate. This increases exponentially the ripple effect of even minor delays.
Old Feb 15, 2014, 11:55 am
IJK

As the article mentions, the fuel in the wings can cause icing, even if the ambient is above freezing temperature.

Apparently this happened in San Diego, I believe, one morning before takeoff. Pax had to wait half an hour to take off. Just let the fuel warm up by itself. No de-icing equipment, of course.

Old Feb 15, 2014, 6:28 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott
Funny...I see plenty of de-icing equipment in WAS, PHL and NYC airports. People often forget that along with snowstorms there is also decreased visibility, low ceilings, etc. Interestingly enough, some of the same conditions that cause cancellations and ground stops during summer thunderstorms.
Old Feb 15, 2014, 9:33 pm

Programs: N/A (kid =! no travel :( )
Not an ME or engineer at all but just wondering, why can't the technology utilized for the windshields of jet planes but utilized for entire plane bodies? I thought they utilized high frequency sound output to vibrate any attaching liquid. Wouldn't this work on a metal surface as well? Seems like it may be easier this way than spraying if it were possible.
Old Feb 16, 2014, 1:05 pm

Programs: HH Gold. (Former) UA PP, DL PM, PC Plat
Originally Posted by pattermj
Not an ME or engineer at all but just wondering, why can't the technology utilized for the windshields of jet planes but utilized for entire plane bodies? I thought they utilized high frequency sound output to vibrate any attaching liquid. Wouldn't this work on a metal surface as well? Seems like it may be easier this way than spraying if it were possible.
The windshields are electrically heated. They are very expensive, heavy, and require a lot of electrical power. Electrically heating all of the wings and tail surfaces would be prohibitively expensive and heavy and would require significantly more electrical generating capacity than currently exists from the engine-driven generators.
Old Feb 16, 2014, 9:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Nor does most any where south of the Mason-Dixon line. The ground crews know how to de-ice. The put the planes in the sun to melt it. If there is generally not a need for snow removal equipment, why invest. It is much like why many places in New England or the Pac-Northwest don't have aircon. IT just isn't needed.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.