Search

Commercial Aviation Turns 100 on Wednesday

Search this Thread

Old Dec 30, 2013, 7:53 pm
Original Poster

Programs: PA WorldPass Platinum, AA, DL, LH. GHA Black, SPG and HHonors Gold
Commercial Aviation Turns 100 on Wednesday

Happy Birthday to the airline business.

The first airline opened its doors and started flying on Jan. 1, 1914.

Without that airline, and those that followed it, there would be no frequent travelers, frequent flyer programs, or even FlyerTalk.

From Flying Boats to Jumbo Jets: Celebrating 100 Years of Commercial Flight

Frequent travelers may take the presence of airlines and airports for granted, but the world’s first-ever commercial flight took place a mere 100 years ago.

The St. Petersburg-Tampa Airboat Line, the world’s first airline, launched its inaugural flight on January 1, 1914, from St. Petersburg, Florida. Its destination: Tampa, a mere 18 miles away. The flight cut the two-hour steam ship journey down to 23 minutes, however, and the airline, over its four-month lifespan, carried over one thousand passengers, each paying five dollars ($116.53 in today’s dollars according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics’ inflation calculator)….

<SNIP>
Old Dec 30, 2013, 8:42 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Please follow this thread in the Travel News Forum.
Thanks..
Obscure2k
TravelBuzz Moderator
Old Dec 31, 2013, 9:41 am
Used to be 'FTcadence'

Airline CEOs Predictions for the Next 100 Years of Flying

This Wednesday, January 1st 2014, marks the 100th anniversary of the first commercial flight. This is what the CEOs of 11 major airlines think that the future holds for the industry: http://bigstory.ap.org/article/ceo-p...0-years-flying

Personally, I'm hoping that JetBlue's Barger's and Virgin's Branson's predictions come true.
Old Dec 31, 2013, 11:10 am

Programs: US SP, JetBlue Mosaic, AMEX Plat
Originally Posted by TravelingPeanut
This Wednesday, January 1st 2014, marks the 100th anniversary of the first commercial flight. This is what the CEOs of 11 major airlines think that the future holds for the industry: http://bigstory.ap.org/article/ceo-p...0-years-flying

Personally, I'm hoping that JetBlue's Barger's and Virgin's Branson's predictions come true.
Baldanza totally wins for most accurate prediction of aviation in the year 2114:

"Ben Baldanza, CEO Spirit Airlines: "Google's 'put me there' technology implemented into its maps software renders all airlines obsolete."
Old Dec 31, 2013, 3:57 pm

Programs: UA, CX, BR
I dunno about Baldanza as most accurate, but certainly the only CEO you might actually enjoy having a beer with.
Old Dec 31, 2013, 6:56 pm

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott/SPG/Hilton Gold, PreCheck + Clear
Isn't it interesting that Barger and Dunkerley's predictions are diametric opposites. I wonder if they reflect each gentleman's political philosophy, rather than their best attempt at an honest guess?

And sadly, Smisek's is the only one that's genuinely insipid.
Old Dec 31, 2013, 9:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Originally Posted by taipeipeter
I dunno about Baldanza as most accurate, but certainly the only CEO you might actually enjoy having a beer with.
I've you've been with B3 since his early USAirways days, you'd know that would be a false statement.
Old Jan 3, 2014, 3:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by jspira
Without that airline, and those that followed it, there would be no frequent travelers, frequent flyer programs, or even FlyerTalk.
"Without airlines there would be no airlines".

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.