Old Nov 16, 2013, 6:47 pm
Formerly known as tonivitanza
Original Poster

NYT: Emotional support animals draw complaints onboard aircraft

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/11/16/bu...on-planes.html

Last edited by cblaisd; Nov 16, 2013 at 9:23 pm Reason: Fixed link
Old Nov 16, 2013, 8:12 pm
Senior Moderator

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] clawing way back to WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
Please follow the discussion as the thread moves to the Travel News forum.

Ocn Vw 1K, Moderator, TravelBuzz.
Old Nov 17, 2013, 12:14 am

Apparently the NYT no longer bothers with basic fact checking.
"There are many passengers with the emotional support certification..."
Fact: no such certification exists.
Old Nov 17, 2013, 7:19 am

My understanding is that such certifications do exist, but they're bogus because (unlike the certifications provided by real service dog training programs) the emotional support certifications require no standardized training level the animal must reach. They're the animal equivalent of a degree from an online diploma mill.

If these emotional support animals had to meet the same level of training that guide dog schools require, this would be a much smaller issue.
Old Nov 17, 2013, 8:18 am
NPF

Programs: AA / AV
I was happily surprised by the reader's comments: the overwhelming majority thinks such privileges bogus and/or unfair and undue.
Old Nov 17, 2013, 9:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
On a SEA/SFO flight yesterday, there was a 50+ lb dog with a red shmata that said "emotional support animal" onboard. To the extent that these animals are allowed onboard, they need to be (with their "supported owners") in window seats that do not inhibit egress to my exit, because the last thing anyone should face is someone with emotional issues dealing with an emergency, blocking my access to evacuate the plane.
Old Nov 17, 2013, 2:33 pm

Originally Posted by artemis
My understanding is that such certifications do exist, but they're bogus because (unlike the certifications provided by real service dog training programs) the emotional support certifications require no standardized training level the animal must reach. They're the animal equivalent of a degree from an online diploma mill.

If these emotional support animals had to meet the same level of training that guide dog schools require, this would be a much smaller issue.

I agree about the training. I think I also think it would provide direction to both the airlines and the people who need an emotional support animal. Because right now it's a free for all. There should be at least some basic training requirement, even if it's just passing the good canine citizen test. Barking, peeing on things, sniffing other passengers should not ever been tolerated.
Old Nov 19, 2013, 6:08 pm

My understanding is that such certifications do exist, but they're bogus
I can't decide whether to laugh or cry when I read this. I can't tell if it's an honest assertion, tongue-in-cheek humor, or some sort of deep philosophical statement.
Old Nov 19, 2013, 6:35 pm

Programs: DL DM, 5.7 MM, UA 3.1 MM, MARRIOTT PLATINUM, AVIS FIRST, Amex Black Card
Want to bring you cat or dog on-board for free simply do a Google search. I can get a certificate for under $30.00, even if it is not required. If you have the certificate and a vest, ID, etc. It sure looks legit.

GOOGLE SEARCH THESE 4 WORDS: emotional support animal certificate

Most of the sites one click, cc payment, documented. Also your miniature horse can be a service animal. I wonder if the airlines would allow this? Also, the airline must allow the animal to fly free. Also landlords that have no pet policies can not discriminate.

I am not talking about "legit" service animals that are trained for the blind, deaf, etc. Or the actual people that need an emotional support animal. These animals are not required to be trained and do not need a certificate, but there are many companies "selling" this great benefit to get your pet to fly for "free". I think I'll sign up Fido and Mittens tonight. I'll be the guy in 3B. Enjoy your flt!
Old Nov 19, 2013, 6:59 pm

Originally Posted by kettle1
Also your miniature horse can be a service animal.
Believe it or not, that can actually be legitimate. A miniature horse is about the same size as a large-breed dog, but lives about twice as long. Miniature horses can easily live to be 30, while most large dog breeds are lucky to make it past 12-13. Since service animals are expensive to train, using an animal that will have twice the working life expectancy has some appeal. But I think the downsides of miniature horses as service animals (namely their more reactive nature and the greater difficulty of house training them) will keep them from replacing dogs as service animals.

Last edited by artemis; Nov 19, 2013 at 7:53 pm
Old Nov 19, 2013, 7:16 pm

Since service animals are expensive to train, using an animal that will have twice the working life expectancy has some appeal.
It should be noted that these aren't service animals, they're "emotional support" animals. The animal requires no training beyond not being a danger to others & not interfering with others.
Old Nov 19, 2013, 7:22 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Platinum ; Hilton Gold; Hertz 5*, Delta DM. Hyatt Platinum, Amtrak Select
I am a bit torn by the issue...definitely people take advantage of the system and I am against that in the case of using it to be able to bring a pet into a store/restaurant/etc... but in the case of the airlines, it is in direct response to the ridiculous fees they charge for bringing a pet on board.

We have a 7 lb Yorkshire terrier that travels with us once a year in pet carrier with Delta branding on it that fits entirely under the seat even on a RJ. For the pleasure of that I have must call ahead to verify that there is space available, pay $125 each way and check in manually at the airport. Sometimes that is more than the cost of my ticket...and the dog isn't even getting MQMs for the flight. The AMEX plat covers $200 of the fee, but if I traveled a lot with a pet I would definitely consider getting the certification.
Old Nov 19, 2013, 7:39 pm

Programs: DL DM, 5.7 MM, UA 3.1 MM, MARRIOTT PLATINUM, AVIS FIRST, Amex Black Card
Originally Posted by tfly212
I am a bit torn by the issue...definitely people take advantage of the system and I am against that in the case of using it to be able to bring a pet into a store/restaurant/etc... but in the case of the airlines, it is in direct response to the ridiculous fees they charge for bringing a pet on board.

We have a 7 lb Yorkshire terrier that travels with us once a year in pet carrier with Delta branding on it that fits entirely under the seat even on a RJ. For the pleasure of that I have must call ahead to verify that there is space available, pay $125 each way and check in manually at the airport. Sometimes that is more than the cost of my ticket...and the dog isn't even getting MQMs for the flight. The AMEX plat covers $200 of the fee, but if I traveled a lot with a pet I would definitely consider getting the certification.
Go for it. Muffy and Fido would like to meet a new friend. And my wife will bring FuFu and Fluffy. And I can bring the in-laws. Perhaps Spot, Bunny, Hurcules and Old Baloo. My sister might join us with Sparky and Morris. This sounds like a great flt. Happy (wagging) trails... I mean tails.
Old Nov 19, 2013, 8:00 pm

Originally Posted by MisterRobarto
It should be noted that these aren't service animals, they're "emotional support" animals.
I know that's the subject of this thread, yes - but the specific sentence I was responding to was in fact referring to service animals as opposed to "emotional support animals." And I thought some people might be surprised to learn that a few blind people have a Seeing Eye horse rather than a dog, and there is in fact a sensible reason for that.

The animal requires no training beyond not being a danger to others & not interfering with others.
He'll, if the "emotional support animal" even had that much training, I don't think this would be so controversial. But far too many of them appear to be spoiled, totally untrained pets. They bark and pee all over and growl and snap at people, and they are a lawsuit just waiting to happen!
Old Nov 20, 2013, 3:41 am

Programs: Hhonors Silver, Aadvantage Platinum
We as a nation have slipped over the edge with this "emotional support animal". If you cannot live without your dog, stay home.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.