Search

Airlines took in $27 billion in fees in 2012

Search this Thread

Old Sep 13, 2013, 1:25 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Post Airlines took in $27 billion in fees in 2012

From paying for checked luggage and early boarding to extra legroom and on-board snacks, travelers know flying these days means never closing your wallet.

Now, there’s more proof. Carriers around the world collected more than $27 billion last year in fees and other non-fare revenue, which has become “a crucial component of airline income,” a new report finds. The figure represents a 20 percent jump over 2011.
http://www.nbcnews.com/travel/airlin...012-8C11122571
Old Sep 13, 2013, 3:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
These stories and comments always puzzle me. Does anyone believe the airlines would have lost $27B more if they had no fees? No, it just would have been bundled into the fares. The "outrage" over fees makes for good headlines, but paying for services provided, in concept, is fine with me. Why should I pay $10 more for airfare if I don't check a bag? I'll pay $10 less and the person with the bag can pay the $20.

I do think some of the fees aren't in line with the added value (though marginal vs. loaded cost is an interesting topic), but I have no big beef with the concept.

Last edited by cblaisd; Sep 13, 2013 at 4:36 pm Reason: Clarified per new information
Old Sep 13, 2013, 6:30 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
UA made over $5.3 billion in ancillary revenue last year, the highest of any U.S. carrier. Wouldn't be surprised to see them hit $6-7 billion next year with marketing of things like year-long subscriptions to a product that allows you to bypass baggage fees. If you look at the bottom line, they're pretty much dependent on it.

United — the largest carrier at Denver International Airport, with 40 percent of the market share — received more than 14 percent of its revenue from ancillary fees, and its average passenger spends an additional $38.11 in fees.
http://www.denverpost.com/business/c...ary-fees-soars

At $38+ a head in Denver I can hear the cash registers ringing and competitors trying to catch up .
Old Sep 16, 2013, 7:32 am

Programs: DL, QF, QR Gold, MR Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by CPRich
Why should I pay $10 more for airfare if I don't check a bag? I'll pay $10 less and the person with the bag can pay the $20.
One problem with this is the inconsistency. The airlines argue that it costs them more to lift your luggage (more fuel is required) and that a pax without bags should not have to pay, then the weight concept should be applied to people as well. The total weight (pax + luggage) would make it fair. My wife (who is tiny) + her luggage weighs less (in total) than most other people on the plane. Why should SHE pay extra for the additional weight while others get the extra weight allowance for free?

It's a bit extreme, I know, but my point is that it's an inconsistent idea. It sounds more like an excuse rather than a reason.

Similarly, change fees have gone up, especially at DL. If you wanted to change an int'l ticket it used to be $100, then $150, then $200, and now I think (not sure tho) it's $300. Clearly it does not cost the airline more to apply a change to the ticket. This kind of fee increase is not justified.

The IOS (International Origin Surcharge) that Delta practices is also foul. An award Europe-US has this surcharge, while US-Europe, on the same flights, does not.

As long as some of these fees appear to be made up during a night out drinking, people are going to dislike them. Increasing the prices is at least an honest, straight forward approach.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.