Lonely Planet: Top Tourist Hot Spots Worth The Crowds

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Lonely Planet: Top Tourist Hot Spots Worth The Crowds

Search this Thread

Old Oct 19, 2012, 10:42 am

Programs: Miles&More, Hemköp kundkort
As others have said, for me it depends on how much of a crowd we're talking about. The Eiffel Tower is nice, and absolutely worth half an hour to an hour or so in line in decent weather. But two hours or more, in the August tourist stampede in a heatwave? No thanks.
I also try to go outside of the main season when visiting places like these. The Vatican in April for example was no problem at all.
Old Oct 19, 2012, 11:29 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
Originally Posted by KurtOlsson
As others have said, for me it depends on how much of a crowd we're talking about. The Eiffel Tower is nice, and absolutely worth half an hour to an hour or so in line in decent weather. But two hours or more, in the August tourist stampede in a heatwave? No thanks.
I also try to go outside of the main season when visiting places like these. The Vatican in April for example was no problem at all.
A good guide can help a lot also. When we were at Angkor Wat we had a private guide and he changed the schedule around from what the tour company had issued to hit off times with crowds. Also, for one of the temples he had the driver drop us somewhere and we walked through the jungle for a mile or so to get to the temple from the back, not coming in from the main entrance which he said would give us a very different experience than going in with the tour buses at the front. It seemed to really work.
Old Oct 19, 2012, 5:22 pm

Originally Posted by GadgetFreak
A good guide can help a lot also. When we were at Angkor Wat we had a private guide and he changed the schedule around from what the tour company had issued to hit off times with crowds. Also, for one of the temples he had the driver drop us somewhere and we walked through the jungle for a mile or so to get to the temple from the back, not coming in from the main entrance which he said would give us a very different experience than going in with the tour buses at the front. It seemed to really work.
Very true. When I visited Cairo, our guide claimed to know the people in charge at the pyramids. No idea if this was true, but she did manage to get us to the front of the line to the Great Pyramid with no hassle and we got inside with no wait at all. No extra charge, but would have happily payed...
Old Oct 20, 2012, 4:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond, CX Gold, Mrs. Pickles travels for free
Originally Posted by MichaelWTravels
Angkor Wat was pretty busy, amazing regardless. I was more bothered by the crowds in the surrounding Angkor Thom area.
I went to Angkor Wat for the first time in 1999. The place was deserted then, it was great.
Old Oct 20, 2012, 5:27 pm

I'm not sure that there's anything on this planet worth braving a crowd, and I most definitely will not purposely wait in a queue for anything. Insofar as the Grand Canyon, visiting the north rim or going during the winter avoids the crowds entirely.
Old Oct 20, 2012, 9:16 pm
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by KurtOlsson
Very true. When I visited Cairo, our guide claimed to know the people in charge at the pyramids. No idea if this was true, but she did manage to get us to the front of the line to the Great Pyramid with no hassle and we got inside with no wait at all. No extra charge, but would have happily payed...
Were the people in charge collectively named baksheesh?
Old Oct 21, 2012, 2:49 am

Originally Posted by BuildingMyBento
Were the people in charge collectively named baksheesh?
No, the entire Baksheesh family was still at the Hurghada airport circling the tourist buses. The Cairo bunch must have been distant relatives.

Seriously though, I was pleasantly surprised about how (relatively) calm things were around the pyramids. Crowds and people selling stuff everywhere, sure, but I had expected much worse.
Old Oct 21, 2012, 7:37 am
Formerly known as MLW20
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT GOLD, Delta, UA/Continental & many others
Originally Posted by Pickles
I went to Angkor Wat for the first time in 1999. The place was deserted then, it was great.
That must've been an amazing experience! We visited Angkor Wat for sunrise and it was great to see but I wish that I would've went back for another visit later in the day.

I am guessing that in 1999, tourism hadn't quite picked up in Cambodia like it has in recent years??? I was in Cambodia about 3-4 years ago.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.