Denver firm designs airline seat that slides

Search this Thread

Old Sep 17, 2012, 2:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM 2MM, BA Bronze, Various Hotels
Denver firm designs airline seat that slides

LA Times: Denver firm designs airline seat that slides

I am not certain I'd consider a 3 hour flight worth it...I'm sure Spirit and some other LCC's might consider this as an option though...

YUCK!

Scott conceded that the seats were designed to save fuel and maximize cabin space for airlines on short-haul flights of less than three hours.

“I’m not going to tell you it’s a comfortable seat,” he said. “It’s a quick, turn-around seat.”
Old Sep 17, 2012, 2:46 pm

Programs: UA 2P, UC, Hertz 5*, Hilton Diamond
I think Mr. Scott will not be sitting personally in this seat.
I honestly would not sacrifice 5 or even 10 minutes of extra boarding time only to be uncomfortable for a 5 hour flight... but that's just me. Also if you are an elite and your group gets called up and you have an aisle seat are you going to tell me that im going to wait until the rest of my row boards just to sit down??? I can really see this causing a lot more problems that it will create.
Old Sep 17, 2012, 3:06 pm

Programs: Million Miles achieved | 2017 Delta Platinum, United NADA, Global Entry, PreCheck, NEXUS
Ugh! Ick! Ouch!
Old Sep 17, 2012, 3:13 pm

Programs: Marriott (Silver/Gold), IHG, Carlson, Best Western, Choice( Gold), AS (MVP), WN, UA
when will they come out with a morgue style airplane where tey have stackable slots they lay you in on your bak. You probably can fit about 4-5 per row stacked vertically...and then add extra rows to spare....
imagine long 5 draw filing cabinents on each side of th plane with those 5 ft plus on the bottom while thosse short on top.
Old Sep 17, 2012, 7:29 pm
Suspended

People seated in the aisle seats will have to board last. Good luck with that. Moreover. people travelling together or families will have to be separated for boarding, or they will simply board and stand in the aisle until the aisle seats can slide out.
Old Sep 17, 2012, 8:47 pm

Obviously elites wouldn't be able to board first -- it really has to go window then middle then aisle in strict order.

Hopefully dumb ideas like this (and the "standing" seats that come up in file stories every once in a while) will fail all kinds of regulatory and market hurdles, and bankrupt the founders. These don't look remotely comfortable for an hour, much less 3 (plus boarding and deplaning time, plus weather and tarmac delays, etc). That middle seat is always below and behind the others, looks even more stiflingly uncomfortable.

MHO at least...
Old Sep 18, 2012, 2:09 pm

Programs: DL, UA, HHonors, SPG
honestly, i think this is even a worse idea than the "standing" seats that get tossed around so much. at least with the standing seats, all the press has been about how much cheaper the ticket would be. no mention here that it would be any cheaper than tickets today.
Old Sep 18, 2012, 2:11 pm

No Thanks!
Old Sep 18, 2012, 4:31 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plat, Marriott Silver, HH Gold
I always thought what slows down the boarding process the most is overhead luggage.

Why not have under seat storage for your roll-aboard? The seat starts elevated, you slide your roll-aboard under your own seat and then your seat slides down securing your luggage.
Old Sep 18, 2012, 4:48 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Amtrak
My idea to speed the boarding process: All of the seats are in the gate area. You board your designated seat and buckle up. The seat is then moved into the plane via an electrically powered motor with a GPS unit programmed to take the seat to the specific spot in the airplane where the seat belongs. Carry-on luggage would be restricted to what you can carry on your lap, and would be placed under the seat in front of you once that seat arrives into the aircraft. This method would eliminate entirely the practice of standing the aisle, since you would be seated in your seat before you even enter the plane.

And I think my plan is just as feasible as the plan in the OP's link. So please give me $10 million to develop such a system, pleaseandthanks.
Old Sep 18, 2012, 6:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
No way, Jose!! I can't sit there for 3 hour.
Old Sep 18, 2012, 8:08 pm

Sadism is alive and well in the airline interior design industry.
Old Oct 3, 2012, 5:22 pm

Originally Posted by transparent
I always thought what slows down the boarding process the most is overhead luggage.

Why not have under seat storage for your roll-aboard? The seat starts elevated, you slide your roll-aboard under your own seat and then your seat slides down securing your luggage.
Or we could just get rid of overhead carryons...

My solution would be a lot more simple, no overhead carryons, 1 free checked bag.

If they save $30 per MINUTE that they shave off of boarding times, it seems like a win win for the customer and a win win for the business because it cuts down on boarding times, customers "might" pay less for the ticket, and those of us with one bag can check it for free and not have to try to squeeze it into compartments that can't handle the bags sizes that the airlines allow into the airplane in the first place.

To the people that "have" to have a carryon bag that you then proceed to put overhead,this isn't burger king, you can't have it your way.
Old Oct 7, 2012, 8:06 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by serioustraveler
Or we could just get rid of overhead carryons...

My solution would be a lot more simple, no overhead carryons, 1 free checked bag.

If they save $30 per MINUTE that they shave off of boarding times, it seems like a win win for the customer and a win win for the business because it cuts down on boarding times, customers "might" pay less for the ticket, and those of us with one bag can check it for free and not have to try to squeeze it into compartments that can't handle the bags sizes that the airlines allow into the airplane in the first place.

To the people that "have" to have a carryon bag that you then proceed to put overhead,this isn't burger king, you can't have it your way.
No carry ons sounds like a good idea. It's not practical though.
Parents with infants want to bring baby things on board.
You don't want to check certain items, such as medicines, jewellery, electronics.
People want to bring their laptops, and important documents with them.
Medical devices such as blood pressure monitors, blood sugar monitors, CPAP, have to be carried on.
If everyone brought only the essentials on board, it would make a big difference.
Look at the size of some carry ons, they are definitely bigger than 22x14x9.
Old Oct 8, 2012, 11:02 am

Programs: LH SEN
Originally Posted by Yaatri
No carry ons sounds like a good idea. It's not practical though.
I like the idea! Just take needed things with you on board (like documents, laptops, handbag, meds). Normally nothing more is needed then a handbag/laptop bag.
Most people bring stuff on the plane just to not check lugagge and delay everything as a result. You don't need the stuff in your overhead bin.

What is wrong with the idea to pack a suitcase and a "laptop bag". Check suitcase and take your laptop bag with you?
W

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.