Search

Megabus crashes into the bridge

Search this Thread

Old Aug 2, 2012, 5:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward

I heard Megabus crashes into the bridge. When its happening the bus was blew the tire off. There is dozen injured but, only 1 died on the scene.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/0...6pLid%3D187668

Who is their fault?

I am not sure for which one is that. So please feel free to moved the thread.
Old Aug 2, 2012, 5:41 pm

That is a horrible tragedy.
Old Aug 2, 2012, 5:43 pm

This is horrible.
Old Aug 2, 2012, 7:45 pm
Suspended

I find it very strange to see the front-middle of the bus straight smashed against the center pillar of the bridge. It almost looks like the bus was speeding in a straight line at that pillar.
Old Aug 2, 2012, 8:12 pm

Programs: None anymore
Originally Posted by N830MH
I heard Megabus crashes into the bridge. When its happening the bus was blew the tire off. There is dozen injured but, only 1 died on the scene.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/0...6pLid%3D187668

Who is their fault?

I am not sure for which one is that. So please feel free to moved the thread.
Fault will more then likely be placed on the tire manufacturer.
The NTSB, DOT, and various other agencies will investigate and publish their findings.
Old Aug 2, 2012, 8:57 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
I think it's way too early to blame anybody. They will investigate and look at the bus, the skid marks (if there were any), the black boxes, interview people, etc.

With that information they will be able to reconstruct the accident.

Personally, from the images I have seen, I don't buy the blown tire theory. The front tires on the bus in the pictures appear to be intact, and the driver should not have lost control like that if it was a rear tire that blew.

But after what will probably be a long investigation, the NTSB will find something for fault.

If they determine it to be a blown tire, they will most certainly be able to blame the tire, the wheel, road hazard, poor maintenance, etc. Because there was no fire to destroy anything they should be able to reconstruct the tire and wheel.
Old Aug 2, 2012, 11:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Well, did they wear seatbelt on? I am not quite sure if those people who wearing a seatbelt.
Old Aug 3, 2012, 2:02 pm
In Memoriam

The bus was less than a year old and just passed it's every ten days maintenance and safety inspection with in the last week. This morning the state police said that final reports will take weeks, but they are sticking with the blown tire.
Old Aug 5, 2012, 9:14 pm
Suspended

Wirelessly posted (Samsung Galaxy S: Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.3.6; en-us; SGH-T959V Build/GINGERBREAD) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1)

LCBs, low cost bus companies are notoriously bad about safety violations. A few resumed operations under a different name after being shut down due to safety violations.
Old Aug 9, 2012, 5:30 am
Formerly known as MLW20

Programs: AA LT GOLD, Delta, UA/Continental & many others
Originally Posted by Yaatri
Wirelessly posted (Samsung Galaxy S: Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.3.6; en-us; SGH-T959V Build/GINGERBREAD) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1)

LCBs, low cost bus companies are notoriously bad about safety violations. A few resumed operations under a different name after being shut down due to safety violations.
Megabus is a big company and I don't think that they will be shutting down any time soon.
Old Aug 9, 2012, 5:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MichaelWTravels
Megabus is a big company and I don't think that they will be shutting down any time soon.
No, probably not. I am not quite sure if they still in business. They won't close the company anytime soon. It still have enough profitable.
Old Aug 9, 2012, 7:55 pm
In Memoriam

The bad news for them just keeps on coming

ATLANTA -
A fire involving an Atlanta-based Megabus is under investigation.

The double-decker caught fire late Wednesday morning after a tire blew out on Interstate 85 northbound near Lavonia, Ga. Passengers were unhurt and evacuated the bus near the Georgia-South Carolina border.
Old Aug 9, 2012, 11:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by cordelli
The bad news for them just keeps on coming

ATLANTA -
A fire involving an Atlanta-based Megabus is under investigation.

The double-decker caught fire late Wednesday morning after a tire blew out on Interstate 85 northbound near Lavonia, Ga. Passengers were unhurt and evacuated the bus near the Georgia-South Carolina border.
Gosh! Not another bus accident yet again! So what happened now?
Old Aug 10, 2012, 1:46 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
Originally Posted by N830MH
So what happened now?
A tire blew out on Interstate 85 northbound near Lavonia, Ga. Passengers were unhurt and evacuated the bus near the Georgia-South Carolina border.
Old Aug 10, 2012, 8:12 am

Programs: United MP
That's a lot of flat tires! What's going on? My daughter was on one a few months ago that blew out a tire. That one didn't make the news. They had to wait an hour for a replacement bus to get there. Anyways, why are they having so many blowouts? Is the number they have about average and they're just getting more attention, or is there something wrong with the tires they use?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.