Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UK - Credit card fees to be banned

Search this Thread

Old Dec 22, 2011, 3:58 pm
Original Poster

UK - Credit card fees to be banned

Airlines, travel companies and retailers are to be banned from charging fees when people pay by credit or debit cards...

...Customers are being charged as much as £12 to use their cards when they pay, though the transactions cost as little as 20p to process.
In some cases, the surcharges are higher than the value of the item being purchased.
Last night a Treasury minister said people were “sick” of being “ripped off” by the hidden charges. Legislation would be introduced by the end of next year.

That's going to upset Michael O'Leary
Old Dec 22, 2011, 8:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Debit can be that low, credit never is.
Old Dec 23, 2011, 1:21 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Loren Pechtel
Debit can be that low, credit never is.
20p per transaction as opposed to £6 per person per leg - bit of a difference. CC is typically 1% BTW though higher for small traders.

Looking at Ryanair's website the fee for card use is described as an "admin fee" - though it'll be interesting to see how they argue that it's an "admin fee" when they offer methods to avoid it.
Old Dec 26, 2011, 6:37 am

Programs: Many
Originally Posted by alanR
[

That's going to upset Michael O'Leary
Right. He boasts (rightly) about no fuel surcharges, but the credit card gambit he uses is every bit as bad. I guess his business model of advertising prices that are quite a few pounds less than what it really costs almost everyone to buy a ticket may go by the wayside.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.