Old May 16, 2010, 12:48 am
Original Poster

Programs: QFF, Krisflyer, Velocity
Travel journalism sinks to a new low

What the fork! Qantas cutlery scandal

* Qanats re-uses cutlery "30 times"
* Knives, forks washed and resealed
* Virgin throws out cutlery after one use

IF YOU thought the plastic cutlery Qantas offered its passengers was new just because it came in sealed packaging, think again.

Qantas has admitted it re-uses plastic knives, forks and spoons multiple times, collecting them at the end of meals and sending them to a washing facility to be cleaned, before distributing them to a new set of passengers.

One supplier who visited the airline's Q Catering centre, at Mascot, told The Sunday Telegraph staff had informed him plastic cutlery was washed as many as 30 times before being thrown away.

"I asked them, 'If you have half a leftover sandwich, do you put it with another half?' " the supplier said.

"They said no."

A Qantas spokesman said plastic cutlery used on international flights, which convey as many as 19,000 passengers to and from Australia on weekdays, could be used at least three times.

"'It really depends on how far the cutlery has deteriorated," he said.

"It could be quite a few times more than three."

Plastic cutlery is used in the economy cabins of domestic and international flights, whereas premium economy, business and first class use plastic knives and metal forks and spoons.

Plastic cutlery on Qantas domestic flights, which carry as many as 50,000 passengers on a weekday, were not recycled because of "the sheer volume of passengers and because there's a higher proportion of economy passengers than in business and first class," the spokesman said.

Qantas defended its recycling policy, saying the plastic used was more robust than the disposable plastic of take-away cutlery and was put through a strict cleaning process.

A Virgin Blue spokeswoman said crew on V Australia long-haul flights threw out plastic cutlery after it was used.

Virgin removed plastic cutlery from its domestic flights two years ago to reduce waste and weight as part of the airline's fuel-burn/emissions-reduction program.

However, the company was considering a recycling program for long-haul flights, the spokeswoman said.

A Jetstar spokeswoman said passengers on long-haul flights paid for their plastic cutlery, so use was limited to 10 per cent of passengers, and staff did not recycle cutlery afterwards.
http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/travel...-1225867261400

Seriously, how can this be a story? An airline washes and reuses cutlery, and apparently that's scandalous. No one tell this journalist what restaurants do then..........

Plus, isn't reducing waste a good thing?
Old May 16, 2010, 4:37 am

Programs: skywards, BMI, Qantas, Hilton honours
other airlines should do the same

I think other airlines should do the same then we would reduce waste, we live in such a throwaway society nowadays where things are not built to last and are just thrown away (not even recycled).

more to the point I have flown Qantas many a time and their cutlery has always been clean and perfectly fine to use
Old May 16, 2010, 6:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

there are some really fine "paper plates" that are plastic coated. they are reusable.
Old May 16, 2010, 6:19 am

There are entire ranges of plastic cutlery designed for airlines that are intended to be rotable equipment and cost significantly more than cheap metal cutlery.

Airlines have been doing this pretty much since 2001 when the initial set of cutlery restrictions came out.
Old May 16, 2010, 10:22 am

Programs: Yorkshire Coastliner
Australian newspapers waste no opportunity to bash QF. It's fairly pathetic how often the Sydney Morning Herald in particular sees fit to knock the national carrier.
Old May 16, 2010, 9:40 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
I guess cutlery is big business.. with lots of competition. The article is probably throwaway because its lobbying by cutlery competitors.
Old May 18, 2010, 2:51 pm

Programs: SPG LT Plat, Hilton G,Priorty Club G, AC E
Really as long as they are washed by high sanitary standards...

....who cares?
This is better than just throwing them away...how is this any different than metal utensils or plastic chopsticks??
Old May 20, 2010, 9:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat, DL GM and Flying Colonel; Bonvoy Platinum
I see nothing wrong with this. If anyone should be faulted here, it's airlines who toss washable and reusable cutlery into the trash. They should realize that there ain't much "away" left to throw things away into.
Old May 20, 2010, 11:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
The only thing I can get out of this is a possible cost-benefit analysis. Is it actually cheaper to buy plastic cutlery, wash it 3-30 times, and then throw it away, vs. buying metal cutlery and washing it 3000 times or more before its useful life is over?

Which really is the most eco-friendly solution?

(The concept of washing and sanitizing modern, high density non-porous plastic cutlery doesn't bother me a bit.)
Old May 23, 2010, 7:48 pm

Maybe it's weight. 200+ sets of metal cutlery probably weights a fair amount vs. plastic.
Old May 24, 2010, 8:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

There is no way this can be cost effective.

MisterNice

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.