Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The OMNI Exercise Blog...

Search this Thread

Old Apr 10, 2013, 8:00 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by VickiSoCal
Tomorrow I turn 43. As of this morning I am 50 pounds lighter than I was a year ago. I am averaging 2500 yards in the pool 4 times a week and running 2.5 miles three times a week. I was only able to run after losing 40 pounds, it was too hard on my joints before. I would like to lose about 20 more pounds, which seemed unachievable a year ago but doesn't look so hard now! I'm eating about 2000 calories a day and steadily losing 1 pound a week.

My biggest worry right now is that the swim team my kids and I swim with is in danger of losing our time block at the local high school pool. I actually went to the school district in person yesterday to plead our case. This is REALLY important to me now! I need my swim time!
Very nice. ^
Old Apr 10, 2013, 9:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by anonplz
lol, yeah - I'm not getting the endorphins anymore!!!!
a touch addicting....I can relate!

I haven't experimented much with leg placing or inclines or speed, though as I continue strengthening, I will do so.
Yeah. The beauty of pushups is there is a ton of "stuff" you can do with the basic movement. The wide, narrow, incline, decline stuff all hits it a little differently.

the speed I'm liking doing 4 fast, 3 slow, 4 fast, 3 slow...repeat. The slow right now I'm doing the count of 4 on the way down and the count of 4 on the way up.

Yes, though I prefer lifting weights for the deltoid region, and again, as my body strengthens and I need more of a challenge, I will re-join a gym so I can do that.
think more lats.

I ended up buying a $100 pullup tower for the basement. Its been a nice addition

I have been lucky in that I haven't really had much of those impact-related injuries yet - I consciously try to find ways to lower the impact of my exercise while either keeping it challenging, or even making it more challenging.
Yeah. This wrist stuff is more use injury than impact. No one impact did it....but 25000 pushups later if that makes sense. Just think of the angle the wrist is at and the weight thats on it. with the pushup bars your wrist doesn't flex.
Old Apr 11, 2013, 8:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

ha I meant to say 250,000 pushups*

*who really knows but its well above 25,000 over the years....that is probably closer and maybe light to a yearly total.
Old Apr 11, 2013, 8:41 am

Originally Posted by annerj
ha I meant to say 250,000 pushups*

*who really knows but its well above 25,000 over the years....that is probably closer and maybe light to a yearly total.
250,000 sounds more like it, for you - I know you've said you've always exercised. (For me, it's closer to 25,000, but more than 25,000 even so.)
Old Apr 11, 2013, 8:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

250,000 sounds more like it, for you - I know you've said you've always exercised. (For me, it's closer to 25,000, but more than 25,000 even so.)

They'll add up fast doing 200+ each workout!
Old Apr 11, 2013, 5:28 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
Originally Posted by VickiSoCal
My biggest worry right now is that the swim team my kids and I swim with is in danger of losing our time block at the local high school pool. I actually went to the school district in person yesterday to plead our case. This is REALLY important to me now! I need my swim time!
I don't know if you're on the USMS forums, but pool access seems to be a never ending problem.
Of course the high school swim teams and PE classes should get priority in using the pool. But certainly they can't be using it 24/7....
When I was in college, the school had 1 pool, and it was pretty much used from 5am until 11pm. I played water polo, and our workouts were Sun-Thurs 9-11pm.

Thankfully the coaches of the masters group I swim with are strong advocates for team swimming--both kids and adults. Our workouts are rarely canceled. There's a Grand Prix meet going on now at one of the pools, so those workouts are impacted, but it is understandable. But we have 2 pools, and the other workouts are pretty much normal.
Old Apr 12, 2013, 9:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It is frustrating to me that that the coaches at our local high schools don't seem to be very supportive. I have an 11 year old and a 14 year old who swim 5-7pm every night and Masters swims the second hour so it works very well for us.

I wonder where they think all their new swimmers come from, my eldest will be in high school in our district next year and will be swimming. 14 year olds don't just appear on your deck as Freshman ready to swim, magically.

Our team has a non-school facility- the Janet Evans complex, but it is a 15 minute freeway drive for us and the Masters workout there is 6-7 am. I would have a very hard time dong that and getting back here at to take the kids to school at 7:30.

We'll see how it shakes down.
Old Apr 13, 2013, 4:33 pm

They'll add up fast doing 200+ each workout!
Wow, I added it up and you're right - roughly 43,000 per year. I had no idea.

I will say it's a nice feeling having to replace items in your wardrobe because, for example, your neck is getting too big or you need a smaller size waist in jeans. ^ Not bragging, of course.
Old Apr 19, 2013, 11:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Everyone hanging in there workout wise? Been quiet.

I'm plugging away as always.
Old Apr 19, 2013, 12:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Getting ready to take 26 girl scouts and 4 moms + me to camp for the weekend in a few hours, did a short run this morning- 2.57 miles in 26 minutes, but am looking forward to a long hike with the girls tomorrow. We generally break up into a few groups of the more ambitious vs. less ambitious. Not much sleep is anticipated as I am staying in the 7/8 grade cabin! I'm hoping the camp food isn't too carb heavy, but it usually is.
Old Apr 19, 2013, 1:08 pm

Trying to. I'm keeping up with weight workouts and have gotten into a rhythm of working out with weights in the hotel. I'm still lagging in my road workouts given our recent week of snow. I've got my first race (a 5K) on May 3rd and am hoping the snow will be gone by then. Still carrying too much extra weight from the last six months of travel (and winter).
Old Apr 19, 2013, 3:07 pm

Yep, still doing my thing. I have a couple lb. to lose in my mid-section still. But that's less a matter of doing more exercise than it is a matter of keeping on diet over the long-term.

Some time this summer, I'd like to re-join a gym, so as to have access to free weights and some sophisticated equipment.
Old Apr 22, 2013, 8:52 am

Ironman training is in full swing now, so 3x each discipline + 2x strength (heavy on core) per week. Fortunately, I am not a road warrior, but nonetheless in consulting and need to deal with long hours. If I get 8-9 of the workouts in then I find that to be a reasonable compromise.
Old Apr 22, 2013, 9:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dfwoods
Ironman training is in full swing now, so 3x each discipline + 2x strength (heavy on core) per week. Fortunately, I am not a road warrior, but nonetheless in consulting and need to deal with long hours. If I get 8-9 of the workouts in then I find that to be a reasonable compromise.
Full or half iron man?

either way an impressive feat
Old Apr 22, 2013, 4:14 pm

Full or half iron man?

either way an impressive feat
Full, but also a half as a prelude about a month before. Did one a few years ago and did my first ultramarathon (50 miles) last year as a "present" to myself for my 50th birthday - ran it the day after.

I may never be very fast. Nor will I ever be overly strong. But I seem to be ok with endurance! Not bad for someone who was a couch potato just 10 years ago.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.