Wiki Posts
Search

Good western US airports for a run

Search this Thread

Old Dec 1, 2014, 9:22 am
Original Poster

Programs: Free Agent
Good western US airports for a run

I can schedule a long-ish layover in the next few weeks at just about any western airport as part of a mileage run, and would like to do a run on the layover. Let's say 6-8 hour layover. I can rent a car and find a place to shower - but does anyone have any suggestions for airports that are easy to access on foot, or are close to good running routes? I run trails and road.
Old Dec 2, 2014, 12:08 pm

SAN is easy in easy out. You could run along the water along Harbor Dr. starting right across the road from the airport at Spanish Landing Park.

A few other suggestions from Yelp: http://www.yelp.com/list/best-places-to-run-san-diego.

With that much time and flexibility, I would think there are quite a few places you could go. Have fun!
Old Dec 2, 2014, 8:29 pm
mjm
Original Member

At SFO if you catch the hotel shuttle to the Airport Marriott (There are a few so look for the Burlingame Marriott) or the Westin which is across the street from the Marriott, there is good rail along the water behind the Marriott. Access it by turning right out of the front door of the Marriott and it is right there in front of you.

You can see it here: https://goo.gl/maps/dOZsR

The Marriott has a pretty nice restroom off the lobby you can easily grab a quick sponge wipedown in to if you have the Chutzpah :-)
Old Dec 3, 2014, 9:34 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
You could run near LAX (would require either a car or taking the Ocean Express shuttle to Manhattan Beach or a bus up to Venice or Santa Monica or you could catch a shuttle to Embassy Suites South LAX, then run 2 miles to the ocean & continue running). It's not trail running, but the "strand" goes 30 miles from Palos Verdes up to Malibu, passing by all the beach cities along the sand/water & is under the flight path at LAX. You could either run along the water's edge or run on the strand & pick it up pretty much anywhere in those 30 miles.

Cheers.
Old Dec 3, 2014, 12:02 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Free Agent
Thanks for the ideas! I had no idea about that trail near SFO. LAX is always a good bet, though I'd take the Parking Spot shuttle to In-N-Out, and get a meal afterwards
Old Dec 3, 2014, 12:41 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by PBIGuy
Thanks for the ideas! I had no idea about that trail near SFO. LAX is always a good bet, though I'd take the Parking Spot shuttle to In-N-Out, and get a meal afterwards
Well I was going to suggest that too. Build up your strength again

Cheers.
Old Dec 5, 2014, 12:38 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
PHX, together with the People Mover + Light Rail would work well to get you to Tempe. From there you'd have access to Tempe Town Lake. The lake itself has running trails...but I prefer to do some small pieces of the lake and add on a leg up and around the Botanical Gardens.

The PeopleMover is free, but a day pass for light rail I think is $5-6.

I believe the Student Rec Center on ASU Campus does a daypass for $10. If you happen to go when the main pool (Mona Plummer) is open, you could use those locker rooms for free. There are some public restrooms scattered around the area.

If you have a car, I also like the Arizona Canal. You can park at the 24 Hour Fitness @ 32nd Street/Camelback (they have a $10 daypass, or go to their website for a free pass). Head up 32nd St about 1/2 mile to the canal. I prefer running to the east. There's a nice park near Indian School/56th St with a waterfall on the canal and restrooms. But if you go West, most of the crossings have tunnels so you don't have to slow down (but the scenery isn't as nice).

Or you can come out where I live and run along the Consolidated Canal Maybe I'd go with you, together with my dog. Depending when, I might be able to pick you up and/or drop you off at PHX.
Old Dec 9, 2014, 9:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

From SNA you could run to the Newport Back Bay.
Old Dec 27, 2014, 4:39 pm

Programs: United-1K, Million Miler; SPG-Titanium and Lifetime Platinum; Globalist
Depends on how serious you are. My dad is a marathon runner and once went for a several mile run inside the STL airport!

All jokes aside, I vote San Diego or Phoenix for easy runs nearby.
Old Feb 2, 2015, 10:07 pm

Programs: WN A-list CP, IHG plat, Hyatt plat, United Silver, Hilton Gold
Not Denver - super far from town and even further from the mountains
Old Feb 5, 2015, 1:03 pm

Programs: COdbaUA 1K MM, AA EXP, Bonbon Gold, GHA Titanium, Hertz PC, NEXUS and GE
You can actually walk in and out of LAX, if you know the right path to take, and it will take you right past In N Out.

Originally Posted by YoProWithAGoPro
Not Denver - super far from town and even further from the mountains
And maybe TOO much workout, at a mile high.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.