Wiki Posts
Search

High intensity interval training

Search this Thread

Old Jul 19, 2014, 10:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

High intensity interval training

Does anyone do high intensity interval training on the elliptical? Lately, I've been doing the following on an elliptical machine that has resistance levels from 1 to 25. I keep my steps per minute steady around 100-120:

5 mins warm up at resistance level 10

then 30 sec at level 15, followed by 30 sec at level 24. Repeat the 30/30 6-8 times, then 5 min cooldown at level 10.

I am sweating profusely afterwards and still feel warm and sweaty even after a cool shower for at least an hour.

A friend who is an athlete tells me this is a very effective workout, and it's the same high intensity interval philosophy that programs like Crossfit use.

Thoughts?
Old Jul 19, 2014, 12:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
No, but I do it on the stationary bike. I do this:

"Recent HIT research shows, for example, that doing ten one-minute sprints on a stationary exercise bike with about one minute of rest in between, three times a week, is as good for improving muscle as many hours of less strenuous conventional long-term biking."

From here: How To Get Fit With 3 Minutes Of Exercise A Week: BBC Doc Tries "HIT"

At the moment consultant and physio have banned me from running due to achilles tendonopathy (or however it is spelt), so have been doing that quite religiously this week. Come the end of the session I am puffing and blowing and sweating like a good 'un. And am knackered at the end of the week.

Mosley did a BBC Horizon programme on it that was interesting and some of it is presented here. I think this is the video for it.
Old Jul 19, 2014, 12:39 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold, Costco Executive Member, Safeway Club Card
Originally Posted by gfunkdave
Does anyone do high intensity interval training on the elliptical? Lately, I've been doing the following on an elliptical machine that has resistance levels from 1 to 25. I keep my steps per minute steady around 100-120:

5 mins warm up at resistance level 10

then 30 sec at level 15, followed by 30 sec at level 24. Repeat the 30/30 6-8 times, then 5 min cooldown at level 10.

I am sweating profusely afterwards and still feel warm and sweaty even after a cool shower for at least an hour.

A friend who is an athlete tells me this is a very effective workout, and it's the same high intensity interval philosophy that programs like Crossfit use.

Thoughts?
It's close to what you described but some subtle differences will make your workout more effective.

Try "Tabata Intervals" which is eight rounds of work at 20 seconds with only 10 seconds of rest in between rounds. Work must be done at MAX intensity.

Great for travel since plenty of body weight movements can work in case you don't have access to equipment.
Old Sep 11, 2014, 1:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Not the ellpitical but I do intervals on the bike and the rower.

The key, and the hard part, is for a true maxiumal effort during the work sets. I find that a true 100% output is as much, or more, mental than it is physical.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.