Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Medical Tourism

Search this Thread

Old Mar 16, 2013, 3:03 pm
Original Poster

Medical Tourism

I'm considering a "medical tourism" trip to India to get Lasik. I'm hoping someone who has done this sort of thing can recommend a company. There seem to be many companies that facilitate this kind of think, but I have no idea how to discern between a good company and a bad. Or, if someone has arranged for a procedure directly with a hospital and can offer suggestions along those lines.

dcman2
Old Mar 17, 2013, 8:34 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by dcman2
I'm considering a "medical tourism" trip to India to get Lasik. I'm hoping someone who has done this sort of thing can recommend a company. There seem to be many companies that facilitate this kind of think, but I have no idea how to discern between a good company and a bad. Or, if someone has arranged for a procedure directly with a hospital and can offer suggestions along those lines.

dcman2
Someone might be able to answer in this thread, but since you started a thread in the India forum in late India re: your possible medical trip & a couple people mentioned there that they knew people had had it done & some of the larger hospitals even have desks set up for that, my recommendation would be to bump up that thread since you have more specific questions than when you first started it. Good luck.

Cheers.
Old Mar 17, 2013, 1:19 pm
Original Poster

Medical Tourism

I'll do that - thanks for the suggestion -
Dan
Old Apr 28, 2013, 12:24 pm

Programs: AA, Aeroplan, CX Gold, MR PLat
Did you ever get any answers? I wouldn't mind doing this too!!

Originally Posted by dcman2

dcman2
Old May 25, 2013, 11:13 am

Programs: AAdvantage, Miles & Smiles (TK0) and others
I'm considering medical tourism for dental work. Specifically, I need root canals and porcelain veneers. Anybody have an experience they could share?
Old May 25, 2013, 11:18 am

Programs: AA Plat
Originally Posted by flamingpanties
I'm considering medical tourism for dental work. Specifically, I need root canals and porcelain veneers. Anybody have an experience they could share?
I had great work done in Peru. It was called Travel and Smile. Pm if you have any questions.
Old May 25, 2013, 11:55 am

I went to Thailand and had 3 surgeries done at a very nice hospital
Old May 27, 2013, 10:36 am

Originally Posted by jeremylives
I went to Thailand and had 3 surgeries done at a very nice hospital
What was the hospital? Helps others if names are provided.

Cheers.
Old Jun 16, 2013, 9:44 am

Americans pay duty on purchases over $800. Any duty to be paid for medical services received in a foreign land?
Old Jun 16, 2013, 11:36 am

Any duty to be paid for medical services received in a foreign land?
Doubt it. Medical procedures aren't 'purchases', but service/procedure.

The pertinent question is - can a medical procedure done overseas be deducted on one's taxes (presuming the target is hit to deduct medical on taxes), as long as one has the receipts?

Cheers.
Old Jun 16, 2013, 11:48 am

Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
Doubt it. Medical procedures aren't 'purchases', but service/procedure.
I sure hope not, although a case could be made that a new dental bridge that you can actually point to is a purchase.

I found a dental hospital in Istanbul that has a full slate of services at very low prices.

http://www.dentaydin.com/en/dental-h...ages-in-turkey

I can cash in a award ticket soon, and so eager to grab this offer. The root canals I need would cost at least $3k US stateside. I have regular pain in the teeth.

The pertinent question is - can a medical procedure done overseas be deducted on one's taxes (presuming the target is hit to deduct medical on taxes), as long as one has the receipts?
I don't see why not.
Old Jun 16, 2013, 12:40 pm

I sure hope not, although a case could be made that a new dental bridge that you can actually point to is a purchase.
AFAIK medical procedures do not incur sales tax in the US, so seriously doubt getting medical work done overseas is going to be considered taxable. If anything, it would be a tax write-off.

But how would an immigration officer know anyway? They're not going to look at you & say hey, you had some teeth work done. Did you do it here or there?

Cheers.
Old Jun 16, 2013, 12:52 pm

Programs: DL-Dirt Medallion;US-Cast Iron Preferred; HH-Gold; Avis First
Americans pay duty on purchases over $800. Any duty to be paid for medical services received in a foreign land?
My take would be that the duty is not on "purchases", but on imported goods. Goods and services you buy out of the country and use (hotels, meals, massages, etc.) before returning aren't dutiable.
Old Jun 22, 2013, 12:37 pm

I freely admit that I'm an idiot. I was in Istanbul in March, and could have checked myself in for a root canal at 70% off, but I was having too much fun doing tourist stuff. derp derp

Next time I go anyplace I will think very hard about what I can accomplish on a visit for pleasure, medical, practical, whatever.
Old Jul 2, 2013, 7:28 am

Does anybody have suggestions on how to travel with large amounts of money, like $2K+ in pursuit of medical tourism in Turkey or wherever?

All places take cash, and most places take credit cards, but I saw I was charged a big fee by Visa for converting very small amounts of cash.

Travelers checks have lost a lot of their popularity, and I heard there's a lot of fraud.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.