Community
Wiki Posts
Search

flying with a bad cold

Search this Thread

Old Jul 13, 2016, 8:42 pm

Originally Posted by Yachtman
Resurrecting an old thread.
Last week with what felt like a mild cold, I took a short return flight within Asia, on descent I got a little pain and my ears wouldn't pop. Now here I am a week later and the cold has gone but my left ear is still muffled and feels full. Does anyone have any tricks to clear it?
I have been using Xylometazaline since yesterday, have tried Valsalva Manoeuvre, have tried hot showers on the ear. So far absolutely no effect. Very disorientating hearing in mono, any good suggestions?
I too have experienced this once after a 13 hour flight, it was bloody annoying waiting and waiting for my ears to pressurize. I went to the doctors after 6 days who said I had an ear infection, she gave me some pills and the next more I woke up able to hear the world again.

Originally Posted by phol
I seem to get this quite often. Apparently its very easy for the ear to get infected after a cold and cause this feeling, with or without accompanying soreness. Two things i have found work to get rid of it; pipette alcohol/vinegar mixture into your ear, and try sleeping with an extra pillow to keep your head raised and allow your ear to drain.
Old Jul 14, 2016, 12:54 am

Originally Posted by badoc

I think this means acute hyponatraemia - but very tricky to achieve orally. I wouldn't advise trying though.

Come on, I'm sure the OP has a (viral) cold - not life-threatening pneumonia or true bacterial sinusitis (rare BTW). I'm sure they will be fine on a plane. What on earth do you think the crew do?

Rarely have I found a thread so amusing, but perhaps that is because I am medically qualified
Well the pilots stay at home when they have a cold. Sinus barotrauma is a serious and debilitating issue. If we have a pilot incapacitated it's a straight forward Mayday call and immediate land. The blown eardrum is potentially career ending for pilots too. It is not to be taken lightly but as a "doc" you would know that. Not all docs are as aware of the aeromedical aspects of flying as others. The RAF makes absolutely no bones about not flying with a cold, they routinely have higher cabin acts and higher rates of climb and descent but the greatest rate of change in cabin pressure is in the lower atmosphere so that's where the major risk is incurred, again all of which a doc would know. Otrivine can assist but is not a "get out of jail free" card. All of that is before you get into the infection side of things. No-one wants your crew sneezing all over your fine dining experience, nor while sat next to you on the flight deck. But hey go ahead, do what you want, a doctor has told you it's not a big deal!
Old Jul 14, 2016, 3:27 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Ok - so here's a question. You are thick with cold and flying is not safe. How do you stand vis a vis your reservation?
Old Jul 14, 2016, 3:52 am

Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE
Ok - so here's a question. You are thick with cold and flying is not safe. How do you stand vis a vis your reservation?
Send the doctor's letter to your travel insurers and get reimbursed?
Old Jul 14, 2016, 5:29 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
Originally Posted by BingBongBoy
PI do remember working back from ATH, and thinking I just had a little bit of a head cold, ears appeared to be OK, till we started decent into London. I was walking through the cabin with a tray of stuff to put in the bin and my head almost exploded with the most excruciating pain I have ever felt. I dropped the tray and was on my knees on the floor holding my head and crying.

Not pleasant, and I will never fly with it again, even though it will mean getting disciplined.
I have had this too, though in a seated position, and it was well up there with the most painful thing that has ever happened to me, it felt like my nose was being expanded off my face. It was almost incapacitating, but I came up with an emergency way to alleviate it that might be useful to try if it happens to anyone else:

I asked for hot drink urgently (tea in my case, but any will do) and put the cup (still upright) in the airsickness bag to make a steam inhaler, and held that to my face until the pain subsided. It got better quite quickly so I suspect my nose dried out and blocked the sinuses.

The crew (not BA, actually on AA) were disconcerted at a passenger clutching their face and trying not to scream during the descent, but responded helpfully quickly with a hot drink.
Old Jun 30, 2017, 3:12 am

Programs: COdbaUA 1K MM, AA EXP, Bonbon Gold, GHA Titanium, Hertz PC, NEXUS and GE
I find nothing better for this than using REAL Sudafed (aka, pseudoephedrine HCL). Not the trash PE stuff, but the stuff you have to go behind the counter to get. It is available without a prescription basically anywhere, though you usually have to go to the pharmacist to get it. It doesn't necessarily suppress symptoms like coughing and sneezing, but it does a very good job at improving breathing and giving you a slight boost in energy and acuity that allows you to get through your days.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.