Search

lifetime fitness

Search this Thread

Old Jan 17, 2012, 2:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

lifetime fitness

Anyone belong to this chain?

I went to a spin class at the one in south denver last night. This place is MASSIVE. Easily the largest gym I've been in (and I've been to many all over the country).

Example:
spin room - 53 spin bikes....thats more than double my normal club has...almost triple
Kids area -- full of computers for them to play on

Not sure what their monthly cost is but they gave me a three day pass for $15 (I think their "normal" daily rate is 15)
Old Jan 17, 2012, 3:24 pm

I actually just joined yesterday at their more northern Westminster, CO location. Seems very nice so far. A LOT of things to do. I am using their family plan for me, my wife a 16 year old and then two children 5 and 7. Monthly is like $154. I was expecting much more than that for a family plan.
Old Jan 17, 2012, 4:49 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
I think there are 4 or 5 Lifetime gyms here in metro Phoenix. I've heard that the individual rate is about $50/month, but I don't know if that includes 'roaming'.

From what I've heard, they have huge daycare facilities, barber/salon, a smoothie bar/snack shop, dry cleaner...as well as some fantastic facilities. I know some people who do yoga, spin, core classes, among others. Depending when you go, certain areas/classes can be extremely busy (which isn't unlike any other gym). The pool/wet areas here have both indoor and outdoor pools, complete with water slides (I've seen the water slides while driving past the Tempe and Gilbert gyms).

I'm afraid to even visit one of these because I think it will put my 24 Hour Fitness to shame and I'll have to join on the spot. I did the Costco deal for 24 Hour, 2 years for $299...will full roaming (includes all except their super sport or something). And 24 Hour has around 10 locations in metro Phoenix. I already pay for masters swimming, so I have to draw the line somewhere
Old Jan 17, 2012, 5:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by aztimm
I think there are 4 or 5 Lifetime gyms here in metro Phoenix. I've heard that the individual rate is about $50/month, but I don't know if that includes 'roaming'.

From what I've heard, they have huge daycare facilities, barber/salon, a smoothie bar/snack shop, dry cleaner...as well as some fantastic facilities. I know some people who do yoga, spin, core classes, among others. Depending when you go, certain areas/classes can be extremely busy (which isn't unlike any other gym). The pool/wet areas here have both indoor and outdoor pools, complete with water slides (I've seen the water slides while driving past the Tempe and Gilbert gyms).

I'm afraid to even visit one of these because I think it will put my 24 Hour Fitness to shame and I'll have to join on the spot. I did the Costco deal for 24 Hour, 2 years for $299...will full roaming (includes all except their super sport or something). And 24 Hour has around 10 locations in metro Phoenix. I already pay for masters swimming, so I have to draw the line somewhere
Yeah the place is nuts. This one even had a "hot" yoga room. Mens locker room had a wet and dry sauna. I saw the full blown spa and it looked nice. The smoothy shop/snack bar was more like a cafe IMO.

I'm going to hit the weight room there tonight and will report back.

I was a 24 hour fitness guy when I lived in Colorado and thought those gyms were huge at ~25,000 sq ft. I read these lifetime places are >100,000!!!!
Old Jan 17, 2012, 5:17 pm

I've been a member for about 5 years and it spoils you!! I travel to CO a lot and have been in the clubs there. My normal club is slightly smaller, but they are in the process of adding on another spin room and 2 more yoga rooms.

I looked at 24 hr fitness and LA Fitness, but can't give up LTF.
Old Jan 17, 2012, 5:21 pm

Originally Posted by aztimm
I wish it was $50!! The clubs are ranked as gold, platinum and diamond clubs. Your membership includes admission to all clubs that level and below. Each level is more $$. My club is platinum and it is ~$75/month. Some of the specialty yoga and Pilates classes are extra. We also have a master's swim which is another $50. But it's worth it.
Old Jan 17, 2012, 5:30 pm

Originally Posted by annerj

spin room - 53 spin bikes....thats more than double my normal club has...almost triple
Kids area -- full of computers for them to play on

I think my club has at least 60 bikes - and they are all used. Some of the spin classes are crazy. One of the teachers is very popular, his class starts at 6 pm. If you are not there by 5:20 you are not getting a bike. Crazy.
Old Jan 18, 2012, 8:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Formerly HPN, but then DCA and IAD for a while, and now back to HPN!
Programs: Honestly, I've been out of the travel game so long that I'm not even sure. Maybe Marriott Gold?
Never heard of it until today. Sounds interesting, and huge.
Old Jan 18, 2012, 8:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by keeper22
I think my club has at least 60 bikes - and they are all used. Some of the spin classes are crazy. One of the teachers is very popular, his class starts at 6 pm. If you are not there by 5:20 you are not getting a bike. Crazy.
This club had two projectors in the spin room and they played a bit of some tour race....it was kind of fun/different.
Old Jan 18, 2012, 8:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dchristiva
Never heard of it until today. Sounds interesting, and huge.
I have club envy!

i lifted last night (tris/back) and their equipment is top notch. Oh and plenty of eye candy
Old Jan 18, 2012, 8:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

The spa/salon is Aveda....didn't mean anything to me but it did to my wife.
Old Jan 18, 2012, 11:30 am

Originally Posted by annerj
This club had two projectors in the spin room and they played a bit of some tour race....it was kind of fun/different.
Mine does the same. It's made it hard for me to go to other spin classes, I need more distractions!
Old Jan 18, 2012, 1:25 pm

Yeah, that's my gym. $80/month, spouse is $50, each kid is $6. Gets you 2 hours of childcare per day while you workout.

And yes, I do think it is expensive, but since my company pays for part of it and we're now attached to it I doubt we'll leave. It's almost a social experience.

Things ours has:
outdoor pool w/ water slides and a cafe in the summer
outdoor turf field (small)
indoor pool w/ swim lessons
whirlpool
steam room
sauna room
indoor cafe (smoothies, sandwiches, salads, other stuff)
two full size baskbetball courts, which are used to run basketball and volleyball leagues
rock climbing wall
birthday party room
two group fitness rooms
spin room
yoga room
pilates room (costs extra)
education center (teaching about weightloss)
standard weights, cardio machines and equipment
kids area- as described above, with mini basketball, climbing stuff, and a small outdoor turf field just for the kids

Things I wish it had:
more rowing machines (only has 2, the only piece of cardio equipment that ever gets used to 100% capacity)
racquetball
Old Jan 23, 2012, 4:06 pm

Programs: UA, AA, HH, Priority Club
One of the things I like about Lifetime fitness is that they are clean, I have found some of the 24 Fitness places to be unkempt, especially in the locker room area. That hasn't been an issue with LF>
Old Jan 24, 2012, 10:28 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
Originally Posted by Bebedeer
One of the things I like about Lifetime fitness is that they are clean, I have found some of the 24 Fitness places to be unkempt, especially in the locker room area. That hasn't been an issue with LF>
I think every gym has some locations that are better or worse. I've been a member of 24 Hour for over 3 years now, and I can definitely say that they take the survey responses seriously. I noted how at one location many of the pool lights were burned out and the pace clock was broken; within 2 weeks the lights were fixed and a new pace clock (these things aren't cheap) magically appeared.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.