Search

The cycling thread

Search this Thread

Old Aug 12, 2011, 9:18 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
The cycling thread

Another thread started to get side-tracked into cycling recently, so I thought I'd start an all-purpose cycling thread.

I've got both road and mountain bikes and I use a recumbent or a spinning bike in the gym.

I don't travel with my own bikes because it's so expensive!

I have taken cycling holidays - for me, a great fitness-fun balance.

I like to take a bike tour the first time I go to a new city. Helps me deal with jet lag and it also helps me get my bearings. (I'm not someone who finds it easy to connect a map with what I see in front of me).
Old Aug 12, 2011, 11:41 am

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
Originally Posted by chollie
It is indeed expensive, and very cumbersome. We rent bikes on vacation for that reason. It ends up being only slightly more expensive compared to airline charges, and it's so much easier.
Old Aug 12, 2011, 2:24 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dhuey
It is indeed expensive, and very cumbersome. We rent bikes on vacation for that reason. It ends up being only slightly more expensive compared to airline charges, and it's so much easier.
I was pretty skeptical about renting a bike for an extended holiday, but it has worked out great so far.

If I rent a bike, I not only save outrageous baggage fees, I also don't have to worry about carrying spare parts. I usually take my own saddle and pedals.
Old Aug 12, 2011, 3:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, 1MM
I wish cycling were a more "travel-friendly" sport.

I usually take my own saddle and pedals.
I take my own pedals and helmet, but not my saddle.

I'm pretty particular about staying on a road bike. (Yeah, I'm one of those roadies. ) The problem is that it's pretty hard to find decent road bike rentals. That said, I think it's also getting easier and more common to rent road bikes. I have located decent roads bikes for rent in:
  • Boulder, Colorado
  • Jackson Hole, Wyoming
  • Whitefish, Montana

I did once rent in Monterrey, California, but the bike was in such horrible disrepair that I would have been completely justified in asking for my $$$ back.
Old Aug 15, 2011, 3:18 pm

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
Originally Posted by iapetus
I have located decent roads bikes for rent in:
If you're in Maui, I highly recommend South Maui Bicycles. We've been renting from them for over a decade. They're not cheap, but you can get high-end road bikes through them.
Old Aug 16, 2011, 2:37 pm

Programs: SPG Plat, DL DM, HHonors Diamond, Avis First, National EE, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by iapetus
I wish cycling were a more "travel-friendly" sport.

I take my own pedals and helmet, but not my saddle.

I'm pretty particular about staying on a road bike. (Yeah, I'm one of those roadies. ) The problem is that it's pretty hard to find decent road bike rentals. That said, I think it's also getting easier and more common to rent road bikes. I have located decent roads bikes for rent in:
  • Boulder, Colorado
  • Jackson Hole, Wyoming
  • Whitefish, Montana

I did once rent in Monterrey, California, but the bike was in such horrible disrepair that I would have been completely justified in asking for my $$$ back.
Totally acceptable to be "that kind" - I've gotten into it with people who think that it's the same kind of training on a mtn vs. road bike. And since I am away from home 4-5 days a week, it's impossible to train on my own bike the majority of the time. With that said, I typically am in rural areas that lack a bike shop, let alone one that rents. In those cases, I stick to spin class at the Y.
Old Aug 16, 2011, 6:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
I would never have thought of taking my own pedals. Why would I do that? I might be missing something obvious here but I am not a roadie and you lot live by different rules (in the nicest possible way!) I think !
Old Aug 16, 2011, 7:27 pm

Programs: DL-Dirt Medallion;US-Cast Iron Preferred; HH-Gold; Avis First
Originally Posted by Silver Fox
I would never have thought of taking my own pedals. Why would I do that? I might be missing something obvious here but I am not a roadie and you lot live by different rules (in the nicest possible way!) I think !
I assume those taking their own pedals are using clipless pedals, and also taking their cycling shoes with the corresponding cleats. But maybe they just have flat pedals that are so great they won't use any other.
Old Aug 16, 2011, 8:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by djk7
I assume those taking their own pedals are using clipless pedals, and also taking their cycling shoes with the corresponding cleats. But maybe they just have flat pedals that are so great they won't use any other.
Yes, I am sure, I have spuds (I also have flats) and in that case I would have expected to see them say "I take my pedals and shoes" whether they are SPD/cleats, flats/terror-pins, just curious...
Old Aug 17, 2011, 6:17 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by djk7
I use both at home (clipless on the road, 'baskets' on the trail).

If I'm going to be on the road, I'm going to be wearing my 'road' shoes, so I take my pedals.

If I'm going to be on the trail, I like a flat pedal with a toe-clip ('basket'). I absolutely won't ride without a toe clip. It's easier to take the pedals, clips and all, than it is to take the clips off (and hope they fit the pedals of whatever bike I'm renting).
Old Aug 18, 2011, 2:11 pm

Originally Posted by Silver Fox
I'd probably take my own pedals if I were taking my shoes, because I don't use SPD pedals. If you use SPD, you're probably ok, because I've found that that's what most rentals use. If you use a different pedal standard, however, then your cleats on your shoes aren't going to work. I suppose you could swap cleats, but if you're like me, I can't really use SPD for a variety of reasons.
Old Feb 10, 2013, 12:41 pm

Programs: UA, DL, AA, Sutherlands Lumber
S&S couplers

Good news, I just specified a travel bike with my local bike shop. That's the Pedal House right here in the Gem City! (Bicyling! magazine top 100 bike shop). Get this....for about a grand.

They provided a deeply discounted Surly Tucker Deluxe frame with S&S couplers. We took the drive train off my '94 Trek 520 and wheels from my '02 King Bee. They had some great used components: headset, bars, stem, front deraileur. Put all this on Tioga City Slickers. I expected some pretty boring geometry, but dude, it's kinda sweet!

The S&S couplers allow the frame to break in half and fit in 26" x 26" x 10" container(s). I figure it will pay for itself with about two trips overseas.

It's do-able, cuz we did it. ^

Last edited by pierre mclopez; Feb 10, 2013 at 12:53 pm
Old Feb 10, 2013, 6:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by pierre mclopez
It's do-able, cuz we did it. ^
Nice man! Nice
Old Feb 11, 2013, 8:35 am

Just noticed this thread.....it's a good one considering how popular travelling by bike has become.
My big bike tour days are over however I still ride the Claud Butler that I've had for over 25 years. It's been on quite a few air journeys in Europe and N America none of which cost a penny extra even when over my luggage allowance.....It'll be different nowadays I bet.

Old Feb 11, 2013, 9:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The Claud Butler was the RR of bikes in the school bike rack !

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.