Wiki Posts
Search

help me find a new scale

Search this Thread

Old Oct 8, 2013, 2:52 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by kipper

How do I figure out which one is accurate?
Joke answer - the one that shows the least amount of weight

Real answer - The one you're using. If that's what you've been using every day, then stick w/ that because it's consistent. Otherwise, retire it, go back to the WW one & then continue using the WW one moving forward. You're never going to get an exact match between scales. The key is to stick w/ one.

Cheers.
Old Oct 8, 2013, 3:40 pm
Original Poster

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
I intend on sticking with the one I've been using, but it does make me question if it's accurate.
Old Oct 9, 2013, 7:05 am

Do you reset the scale? I.e., weigh with, say, just a foot on the scale? Then weigh again, fully standing on the scale?

I've read that digital scales tend to show the last weight unless reset. That is assuming that the last weight might have been a few ounces more or less than the current weight. So if your weight fluctuates plus or minus 0.2 or whatever, that won't show up on the scale.

Also, of course, weight tends to fluctuate, depending on various factors, including sodium intake, which you know.

You might still need a new scale, of course. I'm looking forward to reading the recommendations here myself, not wanting to break into the discussion on that. But I think that all digital scales might tend to repeat the last measurement, if close, and hence need to be reset in order to get a new measurement.
Old Oct 9, 2013, 8:22 am
Original Poster

I know the one I've been using works well, in that it definitely shows losses of even .2 or .4 pounds.
Old Oct 9, 2013, 8:52 am

I intend on sticking with the one I've been using, but it does make me question if it's accurate.
It's accurate if you've had a base weight & then you measure up/down over time & it seems in line/isn't doing major fluctuations. And accurate compared to what - another relatively inexpensive scale? Just go w/ the one that you know. And if you've been to a doc recently where you had to get weighed, if your scale is within 2-3lbs of the doc's (which can also vary), then your scale is probably fine.

To quote myself farther up thread:

I say this gently, but quit angsting about the scale results. Remember - you're trying to strive for healthy eating/lifestyle for a lifetime. Daily or minute fluctations happen. Focus on the long term.

And more importantly to keep in mind, your scale may say one thing but your clothes size or body shape says something else. I know many people who due to muscle might weigh more on a scale, but their bodies are rocking & their clothes size are smaller ones. And I know people who might not weigh much but who are flabby & have to go up a size due to it.

Cheers.
Old Oct 9, 2013, 10:13 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
It's accurate if you've had a base weight & then you measure up/down over time & it seems in line/isn't doing major fluctuations. And accurate compared to what - another relatively inexpensive scale? Just go w/ the one that you know. And if you've been to a doc recently where you had to get weighed, if your scale is within 2-3lbs of the doc's (which can also vary), then your scale is probably fine.

To quote myself farther up thread:

I say this gently, but quit angsting about the scale results. Remember - you're trying to strive for healthy eating/lifestyle for a lifetime. Daily or minute fluctations happen. Focus on the long term.

And more importantly to keep in mind, your scale may say one thing but your clothes size or body shape says something else. I know many people who due to muscle might weigh more on a scale, but their bodies are rocking & their clothes size are smaller ones. And I know people who might not weigh much but who are flabby & have to go up a size due to it.

Cheers.
When I go to the doctor, I figure that my weight is probably 3-5 pounds less than what the scale at the doctor's office says, due to wearing clothing and shoes there.

I'm focusing on both the short-term and long-term. The weight loss gives me a little reward and lets me know that what I'm doing is working.
Old Oct 9, 2013, 11:30 am

I'm focusing on both the short-term and long-term. The weight loss gives me a little reward and lets me know that what I'm doing is working.
Then we're back to my original advice. Pick a scale & that one becomes your accurate one, as that's the one you'll use daily & will be able to monitor ups/downs. So if the battery has been replaced in the one you were using & it's showing you approximately the same weight as pre-battery give or take, then keep using that & put the other scale away.

Cheers.
Old Nov 10, 2013, 10:27 am
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by missydarlin
When I do bother to get on a scale, I always weigh twice. 3 times if the first two results don't come out the same.

@Kipper - this may be a little more erm.. retentive than you care to be, but I have to move my scale out from its little corner to use it, and I always make sure its lined up along the same tile in my bathroom. Its something you might want to consider if you're moving it out from under the hamper each time. It may not make a difference, but it makes me feel more sure of the consistency of the results.
I thought I was the only one who reweighs two or three times. I find that sometimes the scale jams a bit, and getting on and off the scale sort of loosens up the joint.

I'm looking for a new scale. Haven't seen one at Costco in ages. I'm sure they've got one but I haven't looked hard enough.

Not sure if I'm into changing batteries, unless they are Double A or something. Don't scales come with regenerative batteries that charge everytime you step on and off nowadays?
Old Nov 15, 2013, 10:31 am

Originally Posted by Ancien Maestro

Not sure if I'm into changing batteries, unless they are Double A or something. Don't scales come with regenerative batteries that charge everytime you step on and off nowadays?
My digital scale you have to change the battery, but I think it lasted 3 years before I had to change it. My guess is the long time between replacement is because the only time the battery is actively on is when you step on a scale for a few seconds.

Cheers.
Old Nov 15, 2013, 2:41 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
My digital scale you have to change the battery, but I think it lasted 3 years before I had to change it. My guess is the long time between replacement is because the only time the battery is actively on is when you step on a scale for a few seconds.

Cheers.
Scales aren't all that accurate I find.. its hard to discover a scale that I trust. Lean over, forwards, backwards, and the weight changes.

I'm still debating between a manual scale or a digital scale. Is there an FAA approved scale for its accuracy?
Old Nov 16, 2013, 6:51 am

Scales aren't all that accurate I find.. its hard to discover a scale that I trust. Lean over, forwards, backwards, and the weight changes.

I'm still debating between a manual scale or a digital scale. Is there an FAA approved scale for its accuracy?
Unless a scale is varies by pounds each day, it's probably accurate or close enough, so just pick the scale & stick with it. That then becomes the accurate one. Put it on a flat, hard surface - not carpeting. Try to get on it the same way each day. If you're worried that leaning forward/backwards will change it, then don't do those things If you're worried that it's not accurate, do the weigh yourself 3x that missy & kipper do & go w/ the one that shows up at least 2x (or the one you like best ).

If you're worried so much about accuracy, I'd go w/ digital over manual. Digital will at least show tenths, which most manual scales don't.

Cheers.
Old Nov 16, 2013, 9:31 am
Suspended

Unless a scale is varies by pounds each day, it's probably accurate or close enough, so just pick the scale & stick with it. That then becomes the accurate one. Put it on a flat, hard surface - not carpeting. Try to get on it the same way each day. If you're worried that leaning forward/backwards will change it, then don't do those things If you're worried that it's not accurate, do the weigh yourself 3x that missy & kipper do & go w/ the one that shows up at least 2x (or the one you like best ).

If you're worried so much about accuracy, I'd go w/ digital over manual. Digital will at least show tenths, which most manual scales don't.

Cheers.

I find placing on tile and carpet to read different measures each and every time. Even the hardwood, there are some differences. Its hard to trust a scale. Should be a simple thing in life I know.

Even at the Y, there is a pretty good scale that doesn't move that much, perhaps .2 lbs. But that's still inaccurate.

So anyone have experience with a scale that is the most accurate on the market, so we can avoid the hi-jinx?

This is getting to be a pet peeve of mine for about 15 years, not finding a scale I can trust that's dead accurate.
Old Nov 16, 2013, 9:38 am

I find placing on tile and carpet to read different measures each and every time. Even the hardwood, there are some differences. Its hard to trust a scale. Should be a simple thing in life I know.

Even at the Y, there is a pretty good scale that doesn't move that much, perhaps .2 lbs. But that's still inaccurate.

So anyone have experience with a scale that is the most accurate on the market, so we can avoid the hi-jinx?

This is getting to be a pet peeve of mine for about 15 years, not finding a scale I can trust that's dead accurate.
Just curious - how do you know something isn't accurate? What are you comparing it to - another scale? How do you know that one(s) was accurate? Even doc's office scales can be inaccurate. Do you check the calibration sticker to see when the doc (or the airline)'s scale was calibrated?

If you've got a scale that seems to be accurate (isn't fluctuating wildly), then that's the scale to stick with as you'll have a base & can go from there. Not moving it will help. But if you (or others) are looking for the 'perfect' scale, I don't think such a thing exists - or not in consumer prices

Cheers.
Old Nov 16, 2013, 9:58 am
Suspended

Just curious - how do you know something isn't accurate? What are you comparing it to - another scale? How do you know that one(s) was accurate? Even doc's office scales can be inaccurate. Do you check the calibration sticker to see when the doc (or the airline)'s scale was calibrated?

If you've got a scale that seems to be accurate (isn't fluctuating wildly), then that's the scale to stick with as you'll have a base & can go from there. Not moving it will help. But if you (or others) are looking for the 'perfect' scale, I don't think such a thing exists - or not in consumer prices

Cheers.
Exactly my dilemma.

How do you know to trust a scale? Any scale?

I think the entire scale industry is a conspiracy. I bet some scale companies purposely calibrate weight lighter just to sell more of these things lol.
Old Nov 17, 2013, 7:27 pm

Programs: AA-EXP, MR-PP
I switched to WiThings scale myself. Like the record keeping portion.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.