Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Nutrition tips, tricks, and tools on the road

Search this Thread

Old Feb 20, 2011, 4:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Earned status with AA, DL, SPG, HH, Hyatt, Marriott, Seabourn, NCL, National, Hertz...I miss my bed!
Nutrition tips, tricks, and tools on the road

Since health and fitness isn't just about workouts and burning calories, but also what we take in, let's talk nutrition.

What tips do others have for nutrition on the road?

And special tricks or tools that you use?
Old Feb 20, 2011, 4:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Earned status with AA, DL, SPG, HH, Hyatt, Marriott, Seabourn, NCL, National, Hertz...I miss my bed!
My carry-on bag always has a "food kit" that includes 100 calorie Clif minis, a couple of packets of Quaker weight control oatmeal, Splenda (not readily available in other countries with my tea/coffee), and a handful of Crystal Light individual packs for when the water is less than great tasting.

When checking a bag, I often add other items like individual packets of nut butter and Svelte shakes (which don't require refrigeration).

My iPhone has been a great tool for helping me review my daily eating plan (calories in/out) and if I have a bad week, to see where I broke down. I have several programs loaded (Weight Watchers mobile, Lose It, Fast Food Cal, and Dotti's) so I can look up nutritional information and make good choices when I'm eating on the run (unless it's basic and bare, not everything that SOUNDS nutritious is actually your best option).
Old Feb 20, 2011, 4:27 pm

Programs: Hilton, AA,, Delta
dry roasted almonds or cocoa dusted almonds. Both of these can be a real lifesaver when hungry. Easily carried and doesn't go bad. Healthy, tastey and filling.
Old Feb 20, 2011, 5:37 pm
In memoriam

Programs: SWA A list preferred and CP, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Hertz President's club
My saving grace is protein shakes....my body is SUPER carb sensitive and I have to do high protein low to no carbs.

almond milk (available in most stores now and in juice box sizes but I also have a letter from my dr to bring it through TSA as a medical liquid) and protein powder. I use BiPro because it has no sweetner in it. I also have a blender bottle in my suitcase.
Old Feb 20, 2011, 9:35 pm

buy more meals at the grocery store, not the cafe

If you buy your meals at a grocery, even the tiny one in some downtown area, you can far better control what you eat. Instead of ordering a deluxe salad, you can specify "3 ounces of turkey" at the deli counter or get a little packet of lunchmeat, grab some fruit, lowfat crackers or whatever else fits your eating plan. It's hard to know what high-fat taste seducers a restaurant may include in their meals, and when you need to control your intake (we do because of allergies/food intolerances) knowing exactly what you are eating makes the difference between success and sick.

I know business travelers can't do this 3 times a day due to their schedule, but even improving one meal at a time can help you. Also, you can shop ahead and get something like instant oatmeal packets for meals on the go - you almost always get bowling water and cup wherever they have coffee.
Old Feb 21, 2011, 4:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
My trips are usually 6 days away so I buy a 6 pack of 1 litre water as soon as I arrive and make sure I drink at least 1 bottle per day, I buy 6 items of fruit (or get 6 items of fruit from reception), I never get an appetiser at business meals unless I have exercised that morning, will not switch the TV on unless I have done xx press-ups or xx sit-ups, will not just slump in a chair if I am on my own during a conference call - will do stretches/exercise (on mute of course) if possible during it. Basically I try to get in to a routine of "healthy" hotel living. As I am on my own and can dither in shops I read the nutrition labels very carefully looking for sugars, trans-fats, salt and compare them diligently. Will always walk instead of escalator/lift where possible, even walking up the moving escalator is something if the stairs are nowhere to be found!
Old Feb 21, 2011, 9:56 am
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
Originally Posted by MoreMilesPlease
dry roasted almonds or cocoa dusted almonds. Both of these can be a real lifesaver when hungry. Easily carried and doesn't go bad. Healthy, tastey and filling.
+1

Also, Quaker Fiber and Omega 3 bars (120 calories, 9g of fiber!) are also always in my laptop bag. Perfect airplane breakfast alternative.
Old Feb 21, 2011, 11:38 am

Kashi TLC bars as well as plain almonds.

Sometimes will bring the instant oatmeal packets and walnuts to mix in for breakfasts.
Old Feb 21, 2011, 3:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I try to make it a point to not drink sodas when traveling - aim for unsweetened ice teas (I'm a diet coke addict, so it's a big thing for me).

Also, if I know I have to go to a chain restaurant - which in my previous weekly travel job, there were a lot of those, I'd look at the Eat this, Not that site - http://eatthis.menshealth.com/home - for ideas of what's good vs. what's really bad.

What I find suprising is that as a pre-diabetic person, airline food doesn't seem to actually be that bad - it's a good portion size & the ingredients don't seem overly filled with sodium sometimes. So, I actually often times eat the airline meal in F...of course, I don't know if this is really the case or not - anyone have any thoughts on that?
Old Feb 21, 2011, 3:55 pm

Programs: Hilton, AA,, Delta
Originally Posted by bhatnasx
I try to make it a point to not drink sodas when traveling - aim for unsweetened ice teas (I'm a diet coke addict, so it's a big thing for me).

Also, if I know I have to go to a chain restaurant - which in my previous weekly travel job, there were a lot of those, I'd look at the Eat this, Not that site - http://eatthis.menshealth.com/home - for ideas of what's good vs. what's really bad.

What I find suprising is that as a pre-diabetic person, airline food doesn't seem to actually be that bad - it's a good portion size & the ingredients don't seem overly filled with sodium sometimes. So, I actually often times eat the airline meal in F...of course, I don't know if this is really the case or not - anyone have any thoughts on that?
The airline food is of the correct portion size for a meal. Most people don't realize that!
Old Feb 22, 2011, 1:51 pm
In memoriam

Programs: SWA A list preferred and CP, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Hertz President's club
Originally Posted by bhatnasx

More is correct, the portion sizes are a good guide on a plane. My problem with airplane food is they tend to be very carb heavy, which for me is an issue (my body sees a carb and I gain weight). also you have to watch the salt on an airplane, because it requires more spice at altitude for food to taste the same they tend to oversalt and you wouldnt notice it by taste.
Old Feb 23, 2011, 9:56 am

Originally Posted by MoreMilesPlease
The airline food is of the correct portion size for a meal. Most people don't realize that!
Airline meals also have a lot of different foods for the same reason hospitals do. When you don't pick the full menu it's unrealistic to expect everyone to like 100% of what they get.

---
I'd also suggest purchasing a filtering water bottle. It definitely improves the taste. I have one of these Clear2Go bottles. That way I always have water and except for that certain time of the year in PHX the water usually is very good despite the tap quality.
Old Feb 24, 2011, 9:54 pm

Programs: AA EXP 4 MM, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
Premier Nutrition Protein Bars - more protein than carbs and you can eat half and feel full for a few hours.
Old Feb 25, 2011, 4:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Originally Posted by CDTraveler
If you buy your meals at a grocery, even the tiny one in some downtown area, you can far better control what you eat. Instead of ordering a deluxe salad, you can specify "3 ounces of turkey" at the deli counter or get a little packet of lunchmeat, grab some fruit, lowfat crackers or whatever else fits your eating plan.
I have been doing this for awhile now and agree, great idea.

Thankfully, most of my normal destinations have a Whole Foods (or local equivalent) close by, where some turkey, a roll, & excellent salad bar with healthy items are all available. Much better than any dining out option.....
Old Feb 25, 2011, 9:43 am
Senior Moderator; Moderator, Eco-Conscious Travel, United and Flyertalk Cares

Programs: UA 1.7 MM;; Accor & Marriott Pt; Hyatt Globalist
Skip the breakfast buffet

Some of my chains give me free breakfast - either a buffet or off the menu. There's that mental thing of this is a $25 breakfast and I should take advantage of it, but that to me is the worst thing I can do. I walk into those, get my usual bowl of oatmeal with some berries and that's it. I figure I've probably saved the same number of calories and fat grams I'd usually consume in a day.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.