The Locker Room....who we are!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Locker Room....who we are!

Search this Thread

Old Mar 1, 2011, 5:32 am

Programs: BA Executive Club, AC Aéroplan, Accor ALL
Hello everyone, I am Action Man and not surprisingly (given my name) I have some military experience, but I am also a fully qualified fitness instructor. Although we all have our goals (I haven't reached mine yet!) I am in excellent shape but still have a long list of things to work towards and achieve. For those who are looking/hoping to improve an aspect of their fitness and are seeking personal trainers etc for advice more than motivation, I'd be happy to provide some advice here with tips, writing simple programmes etc, perhaps nutritional advice, if that helps...

Last edited by Action Man; Mar 1, 2011 at 5:42 am
Old Mar 1, 2011, 7:43 am

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Spire, National Exec Elite, Hilton Gold
Hello all - I'm 25, 5' 9" and about 185 lbs right now. I'm not traveling a ton for work at the moment. Had a 10-day Asia trip in January and two 3-day trips this month, with a 10-day Europe trip next month likely.

I actually started working out regularly about 3 weeks ago with the goal of losing 30-35 lbs and building more muscle. The last time I worked out regularly was about 5 1/2 years ago when I was interning and I weighed a little over 145 lbs.

My schedule is only on weekdays and I work out every day in the gym at the office - easy when I'm not traveling. Every say I start with a 5 min warmup on the elliptical and then 10 mins of stretching. M/W/F I just do cardo and hop back on the elliptical for 45 mins. I do abs (situps, captain's chair lifts, vertical crunches) at the end of the cardio and stretch again. T/R I do 30 mins cardio on the elliptical and then do abs (same as above) plus a full slew of weights - curls, butterfly, triceps, etc.

On Feb 9th I weighed a hair over 190 lbs so I've already lost about 6 lbs. I'm on track for approx. 2 lbs per week at the current rate and I'm quite happy with the progress so far. It's more a mental thing at first than anything else - and I'm now to the point where I want to work out. I haven't skipped a day yet!

Originally Posted by wrxmom
Purchase a BodyMedia FIT four weeks ago and I'm down 6.8lbs.
That looks like a great device - I'm going to have to look into buying one!
Old Mar 4, 2011, 12:54 pm

Programs: UA .5M, Vistana 1-Star owner
about me

Great thread idea.

As I'm fortunate to have good health even with a sedentary lifestyle, most of my efforts are in continuing the very good nutrition and increasing motivation to exercise. The former is very easy and the latter is very hard. Being 5'11" and 125lbs doesn't mean I'm healthy per se as I still need to get fit. It's a perennial struggle and I wish I had even more stays with Sheraton as their Sheraton Fitness program is very encouraging, even if only for consistent marketing/branding.

On travel, I do a # of things, mostly continuations from non-travel life, to stay fit:
  • carry empty stainless steel water bottle, refilling it after security; drinking thru a flight to stay hydrated
  • eating 3 square meals; using mealtimes to fight jetlag
  • usual good eating habits: fresh veggies, little red meat, few anti-oxidant-high foods; avoiding the easy bad stuff which travel seems to promote
  • do the usual DVT-related exercises
  • not going to the pt of exhaustion by sticking to a schedule instead of running myself overboard
For some reason, I'm just very sensitive about health in general for which I'm thankful as it allows me to travel a lot.

With so many long-haul flights for me, I'm glad to be able to do them at all as I figure one day, I'll need more and more lie-flats to travel. Ugh.

Another about me on FT is here.
Old Mar 5, 2011, 1:20 pm

Programs: Alaska Airlines
I am here, showing up for class...:-)

Patrick of SF, but now in HNL.

45 yrs, 180 wt, 32w, what else...more to follow. just wanted to say Aloha.

Will elaborate more tomorrow, I am off to my family compound in Kailua now.

xoxoxoxox

Patrick Allen :-)
Old Mar 7, 2011, 8:35 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
LOL, ok, so you're not getting too much from me...

I'm 32 (ouch, ok, that hurt!), 5'9", and Mr. Kipper travels far more than me. However, his travel seems to change my diet a lot, because I hate cooking for 1, and while I'd like to take the dogs for long walks for exercise, trying to control Cobaka, the labsky mix, takes one person's full efforts, so taking both for a walk at the same time is more than a challenge for 1 person.

When Mr. Kipper travels, I usually skip lunch, and pick up an early dinner on my way home from work, but it's usually fast food. Alternatively, I'm big on grilled cheese when he's on the road. Neither is very healthy.

Add to all of this that, at least today, I work both a full-time job and a part-time job, and am bouncing between home and across the state to take care of my mother, who just had a kidney transplant, and healthy meals and exercise are definitely a challenge for me.

When I work my part-time job, fast food is about the only dinner option, and right now, I simply don't have time to cook meals and freeze them, nor do I trust Mr. Kipper to cook when he is home.
Old Mar 7, 2011, 1:03 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
Originally Posted by kipper
When I work my part-time job, fast food is about the only dinner option, and right now, I simply don't have time to cook meals and freeze them, nor do I trust Mr. Kipper to cook when he is home.
There are some fast food options outside of what most people would consider fast food. Even at a traditional fast food place (yes even McDonald's, BK, etc), there are some options that aren't horrible, and perhaps even healthy.

When I go for 'fast' food, I usually opt for something like El Pollo Loco, Chipotle, Rubios, and the like. They each list approx nutritioinal values on their websites. Actually, I'd be willing to bet others do too.

And full disclosure...I worked at McDonald's in high school/college. Certainly ate my share of most of that food during breaks.
Old Mar 7, 2011, 2:56 pm

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
Originally Posted by aztimm
There are some fast food options outside of what most people would consider fast food. Even at a traditional fast food place (yes even McDonald's, BK, etc), there are some options that aren't horrible, and perhaps even healthy.

When I go for 'fast' food, I usually opt for something like El Pollo Loco, Chipotle, Rubios, and the like. They each list approx nutritioinal values on their websites. Actually, I'd be willing to bet others do too.

And full disclosure...I worked at McDonald's in high school/college. Certainly ate my share of most of that food during breaks.
LOL, I live in the middle of nowhere! While we have a Chipotle, that's about it. That said, I've not been to one in years.

I have opted for the Egg McMuffin at McDonald's for breakfast, but most of the lunch/dinner options at least look really rather unhealthy.
Old Mar 7, 2011, 5:21 pm

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by kipper
LOL, I live in the middle of nowhere! While we have a Chipotle, that's about it. That said, I've not been to one in years.

I have opted for the Egg McMuffin at McDonald's for breakfast, but most of the lunch/dinner options at least look really rather unhealthy.
I don't want to sidetrack this thread because it's really about the Locker Room - Who We Are, so I'll say this & then ask we continue conversations like this in the main forum.

Some of McDonald's offerings actually get good reviews for healthy eating. It goes w/o saying that the salads do (I think the chicken or southwestern one gets big thumbs up) & there are other non-salad items as well that get good reviews. Also, McDs was one of the first to upload their menus w/ all the nutritional info to their website.

Cheers.
Old Mar 7, 2011, 5:58 pm

Programs: UA Gold, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
Hi! I'm 64 (looks like I'm the old lady in the locker room). I've struggled with my weight. I'm 5'5" and weigh 160 pounds. I've have been trying to lose 20-30 pounds for at least 5 years. I live by myself. I love to eat good food.

Actually, I do better when I'm traveling, cause I exercise a lot more. All my travel is leisure, so I'm walking 3-4 hours a day at least.

I run, try to do 30 minutes 3xweek and then exercise on the off days. I don't know if my lack of stamina (tho I did cross country ski for two hours in Jan) is my age or chemo I had three years ago for ovarian cancer. I just can't seem to get any fitter. (I can get less fit, though, if I don't exercise)

I'm looking for ideas, community, etc.
Old Mar 7, 2011, 8:12 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Originally Posted by manneca
Hi! I'm 64 (looks like I'm the old lady in the locker room). I've struggled with my weight. I'm 5'5" and weigh 160 pounds. I've have been trying to lose 20-30 pounds for at least 5 years. I live by myself. I love to eat good food.

Actually, I do better when I'm traveling, cause I exercise a lot more. All my travel is leisure, so I'm walking 3-4 hours a day at least.

I run, try to do 30 minutes 3xweek and then exercise on the off days. I don't know if my lack of stamina (tho I did cross country ski for two hours in Jan) is my age or chemo I had three years ago for ovarian cancer. I just can't seem to get any fitter. (I can get less fit, though, if I don't exercise)

I'm looking for ideas, community, etc.
Have you tried Weight Watchers?
Old Mar 7, 2011, 8:30 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

A little about me: Have never had issues with my weight until events caused me to adopt a sedentary lifestyle. That is the kiss of death for me. I don't really like fast food nor do I have a passion for sugar. My diet is a healthy one and one which has been pretty much unchanged my entire life.
In the mid 1990's I crushed a shoulder.....too painful to exercise....gained 20 pounds in a year.
In 2004, in auto accident in which cartilage was torn in my knee (required surgery) and other soft tissue damage.
Over the course of the past 2 years, I have struggled mightily with low back pain and nerve pain radiating down to the back of my knees. Conservative treatment was tried (epidural nerve block) and had 2 successful procedures. Ultimately, the nerve blocks ceased to be effective. I also pretty much lost the ability to walk or stand for any length of time. Diagnosis: Severe Spinal Stenosis. My discs were compressing my nerves. Oh, forgot to mention that I packed on about 25 pounds in the last 2 years.
Last week I had back surgery and the recommended physical therapy is walking (along with some isometrics). Sometimes that is the last thing in the world I feel like doing, but I just do it. Today I walked 20 minutes with the aid of a walker, doing laps around the outside of the pool. I have already lost six pounds and only returned home 3 days ago. Even my watch is looser.
Another tip: The doctors and nurses were impressed with my flexibility. This is entirely due to the fact that I have been doing Pilates exercises for over 30 years.
After gaining and then losing weight, I know, for me, it is all about motivation. Right now, I want to stand up straight and walk as much as I feel like, pain-free. That the weight will be falling off, is a great bonus!
Old Mar 10, 2011, 7:33 am

So psyched to see this forum created!
I had put a post up asking if such a forum existed and last I had heard it was being discussed, but just cruising the forum list just now, I made the pleasant discovery.
A little about me...at 34, I grew up in the 80's in a household with no barriers when it came to food. The kitchen was always stocked with cakes, donuts, ice cream, chips and soda. Seconds and even thirds was not uncommon at any meal. McDonalds was part of the 4 major food groups...the others being Burger King, KFC and Pizza of course. Supersizing it went without saying.
At 14 I weighed 245lbs at 6' and wore a 44" waist.
The interesting part was I was athletic my whole life. I excelled in Baseball, Basketball and skateboarding, even at this huge size.
At 15, 2 factors led me to make a change.
The first was wanting to continue my baseball career into college. I knew most schools wouldnt look at a kid that appeared obese and ran like he had a piano on his back.
The second...simply put...GIRLS!
I went cold turkey and lost the weight in a completely unhealthy way and amount of time. I had no real nutritional education so all I did was read labels for fat content and calories. A typical day of eating consited of a piece of fruit for breakfast, some pretzels for lunch and a lean cuisine for dinner.
Over a 5-6 month period I went from 245lbs to 155lbs. Looking back on it, I should have stopped when I hit 195, but I was obsessed by that point and wanted to see how far I could go with it.
Over the next 18 years and into the present, I learned proper nutrition and it became my lifestyle. I weight train 5 days a week with cardio mixed in 3-4 times a week.
I eat what I call a "semi-clean" diet. By that I mean, no fast food, no fried foods, no white breads, and nothing high in sugar. I live off eggs, chicken, beef, turkey, brown grains, some low fat dairy, fruits, nuts and water.
My weekends are when I "loosen" the belt when I dine out, but even then, I stick to somewhat healthy options.
I currently weigh 205 lbs and feel I look the best I ever have with a "lean muscle" emphasis. I gave up on my attempts to carry 220lbs of hefty muscle a few years ago and have never looked back.
I travel for work about once a month for around 5 days at a clip. Those who work with me know not to mess with my eating schedule and workout time lol.
I plan ahead before I visit a city to make sure I will have an adequate gym either in my hotel or nearby. This was my major inspiration to seek out a forum like this. I thought it would be great for travelers to share their gym experiences in cities across the globe. I usually use google maps to find local gyms where I will travel to, but to hear real member feedback would be priceless.
I look forward to reading more in this forum and have a bunch of ideas for discussion threads already!^
Old Mar 10, 2011, 5:18 pm

Programs: CO-Gold
Love this forum!
Old Mar 12, 2011, 11:01 am

Exercise or die...

I am 46, and believe that a healthy diet and heavy exercise are the keys to a long life.

I used to hit the food and booze non-stop from the airport, until I got home. With 200+ days a year on the road, that made a dent. I managed to gain 125 lbs in 15 years. High BP, High Colesterol, Morbidly Obese, etc.

Started walking, riding bike and lifting. Stopped drinking...

Now, I am 220 lbs, 14% body fat. Lift heavy phase.

I work out in phases - Heavy Phase (Powerlifting moves) / Speed Phase - Kettle bells and body weight / Cardio - ultra cycling. 100-250 mile rides in the summer.

Goal for 2011 - Bench Press 400 raw at 100 kg body weight.
Old Mar 14, 2011, 5:37 pm

Programs: HHonors Diamond; My Mom's Favorite Kid
This is a wonderful forum idea! I am hoping that it will give me a little on the road support and encouragement.

I'm just into my 30s and am a mathematician who has a loooong commute across the state for work. While I was in grad school I packed on close to 60 lbs. A lot of it was the stress and misery of grad school in a state I hated.

A little over a year ago my employer announced that they would subsidize WW and I decided it was too good of a deal to pass up. I've lost about 44 lbs since and I am less than 10 lbs from my ultimate goal.

I've made huge changes in my lifestyle and I am committed to living a more healthful life. I've also introduced excerise into my life. What a difference that has made!

I recently ran 1/2 a mile which just made my day.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.