Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Travel with Children
Reload this Page >

Business Class and First Class with children [Merged Threads]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Business Class and First Class with children [Merged Threads]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 10, 2014, 8:51 am

Programs: DL DM, SPG AMB, National EE
Infants, babies, and business/first class?

Same as coach class. If they are under two, they can qualify as infant in arms and can sit in your lap.

Most business class / first class cabins have a lower seat : oxygen mask ratio so there is less restriction on where you can sit. In coach you can't have an infant unless there is an available extra oxygen mask on that row - and usually it only becomes an issue when there is another infant in the same row. Obviously regardless of cabin you can't sit in an emergency exit row with an infant.
Old Jan 10, 2014, 8:56 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, MR Gold, Avis Pref
Infants, babies, and business/first class?

Beware of the 10 pct infant fee on certain intl flights
Old Jan 10, 2014, 9:08 am
Formerly known as iahsumr

If you are referring to flying with them a lap infant in a premium cabin on an award ticket then domestically then it will be free. If you mean in a premium cabin to say Europe or Asia then it will cost you 10% fare with many programs. Depending on your itinerary, that can be $500, $800, $1,000, or more. Sometimes it is 10% of lowest fare, or it could be highest fare, or who knows. Usually the sooner you add the infant the better.

Aeroplan charges a low flat fee for lap infants, BA charges 10% miles, so those are a couple of the programs to look to if you want to avoid that big fee. However, those programs can also be bad with fuel surcharges so be careful. Booking via Aeroplan on United with an infant is one of the best plays.

Of course, you can also often book them a seat, but check with your airline and specific aircraft as the seats that have air bags can't necessarily work with car seats and/or CARES harnesses.

Some will frown upon a baby in a premium cabin, but as long as you are doing everything you can to make sure you child is cared for and comfortable then you are doing the right thing.

Good luck!
Old Jan 10, 2014, 9:15 am

Programs: AA, BA, CO
thanks guys.
Old Jan 10, 2014, 9:32 am
Suspended

Please don't be "that couple" who brings their infant on business/first class. It's not kid's fault, it's not your fault... the pressure changes make them cry. A lot of people shell out for business class specifically for the lie flats so they can sleep.
Old Jan 10, 2014, 9:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by greggarious
Please don't be "that couple" who brings their infant on business/first class. It's not kid's fault, it's not your fault... the pressure changes make them cry. A lot of people shell out for business class specifically for the lie flats so they can sleep.
And ear plugs are supplied in the amenities kit. Not all kids are affected by the pressure changes, by the way, and consider that the parents are also shelling out for C so that they can sleep.
Old Jan 10, 2014, 9:51 am

Originally Posted by PaulMSN
And ear plugs are supplied in the amenities kit. Not all kids are affected by the pressure changes, by the way, and consider that the parents are also shelling out for C so that they can sleep.
Agreed. As a parent, I get so annoyed at people who think that premium cabins are meant for adults only.

I earned my miles or my money, and you have no right to tell me I can't bring my child with me. Unless airlines make the cabin childless (which is illegal unless they are doing so for safety reasons), deal with it.

There aren't adults-only buses, trains, or taxis right?
Old Jan 10, 2014, 9:51 am

... and the parents aren't shelling out the same? What a ridiculous comment.
Old Jan 10, 2014, 9:57 am

I completely understand you. 4 months ago I was that guy :-) I saw babies on airplane as if they were the devil :-) Now I got one.

I think as long as parents can get a hold of their infant and make sure that kid makes as little noise as possible, it's all good. I would not want to be the couple that has their baby crying all along and say to people around me "deal with it".
Old Jan 10, 2014, 10:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
Moving to a more appropriate forum.
Thanks.
Old Jan 10, 2014, 10:08 am

Originally Posted by Igor718
I completely understand you. 4 months ago I was that guy :-) I saw babies on airplane as if they were the devil :-) Now I got one.

I think as long as parents can get a hold of their infant and make sure that kid makes as little noise as possible, it's all good. I would not want to be the couple that has their baby crying all along and say to people around me "deal with it".
We have 4 kids now (3 week old currently the youngest) and haven't taken my kids overseas yet. Don't know if I will ever take all 6 either but Hawaii in 2 years yes...

I have flown with my kids as little as 1.5 years old and at times yes they did cry in economy. I think it bothered my wife and I more than the people around us, especially those with kids that "understand."

Would I want to hear an infant crying for 12 hours on a flight? Of course not but I also would do all I could to make sure mine didn't, would use headphones if necessary if someone else had a kid on board, etc. I'd say if you are comfortable go for it!
Old Jan 10, 2014, 10:11 am

Originally Posted by Igor718

Agreed except it was 6 months ago for me not 4

I'm paying a lot of money to fly first class with my family. Of course we should be considerate of the people around us but the same holds true in coach.
Old Jan 10, 2014, 10:22 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by PaulMSN
Amen. My baby just turned one. She is AA Plat and flew over 25,000 miles in domestic F / intl J. My wife and I did a ton of research on flying with babies before we took her on a flight. We can't take full credit for the fact that our baby never cried or had a single issue with pressure changes, but there is a "right" way to make travel easier on infants and I think we did all we could to help her. Throughout our travels we got many compliments on how good our baby was.

However, I realize that one bad experience with an infant can discolor one's views, and it's often not the parents' fault. In that rare situation, put your earplugs in and just be glad you aren't squished between a window and a crying baby in coach!
Old Jan 10, 2014, 10:26 am

Programs: AS: 75K; DL/NW: Plat; DL SC: Lifetime; Hyatt: Diamond; HH: Gold; SPG: Plat;
Originally Posted by kingarthur
Amen. My baby just turned one. She is AA Plat and flew over 25,000 miles in domestic F / intl J. My wife and I did a ton of research on flying with babies before we took her on a flight. We can't take full credit for the fact that our baby never cried or had a single issue with pressure changes, but there is a "right" way to make travel easier on infants and I think we did all we could to help her. Throughout our travels we got many compliments on how good our baby was.

However, I realize that one bad experience with an infant can discolor one's views, and it's often not the parents' fault. In that rare situation, put your earplugs in and just be glad you aren't squished between a window and a crying baby in coach!
Kingarthur - would you mind sharing some of your best tips for traveling with a baby? As a semi-new dad of a 1 year old, I'd appreciate it!
Old Jan 10, 2014, 11:20 am

Originally Posted by bostonbali
Kingarthur - would you mind sharing some of your best tips for traveling with a baby? As a semi-new dad of a 1 year old, I'd appreciate it!
pretty good article here

http://blogs.babycenter.com/mom_stor...ith-an-infant/

scroll down to also read more tips from others in the comments section.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.